What to see in Mozhaisk in 1 day
Mozhaisk is one of the most beautiful cities in nature near Moscow. Mozhaisk was included in the list of historical settlements of the region because of its rich cultural heritage. Here you can still feel the atmosphere of past centuries – the city has preserved the historic planning of the XVIII century. In addition, equestrian and bicycle tourism is actively developing here, and in the summertime tourists enjoy a comfortable beach holiday.
In Mozhaisk, you usually come for 1 day: to see the cultural and historical sights and relax on the shores of the Mozhaisk Sea. What to see for 1 day in Mozhaisk? This time is quite enough to have a leisurely stroll around the historical districts, visit a couple of museums and have a picnic on the shore. The main thing is to create an itinerary beforehand, to have enough time to see everything. Below is a detailed 1-day guide to Mozhaisk with descriptions and tourist reviews.
What to see in Mozhaisk in 1 day by yourself
Mozhaisk, located on the west of the Moscow region, 90 km from the Moscow Ring Road, was founded in the XIII century. But according to archeologists pogost on the territory of Mozhaisk Kremlin was founded at the end of XI – beginning of XII centuries. And an archeological monument “Mozhaiskoye mound” is dated to 700 B.C. It is believed that the pogost was founded by Vladimir Monomakh, who “twisted his way through Vyatichi. But the real fortified citadel of the Slavs appeared in the XII century, on Sobornaya hill. The wooden fortress was quite small – 50 by 50 meters. By the mid-13th century Mozhaisk had become a center of the appanage principality of the Smolensk principality. By the XIV century, despite a series of lootings, Mozhaisk had become one of the religious centers of Moscow Russia. Subsequently the Moscow border town repeatedly became the site of bloody battles: the Battle of Mozhaisk against the Poles in 1618, the rearguard action near Mozhaisk during the Patriotic War of 1812, and fights during the Great Patriotic War.
Start acquaintance with Mozhaisk is on the territory of the former Kremlin . This is the heart of the historic center of the city. The Mozhaisk Kremlin is a white-stone fortress of the 16th century, not preserved to this day, built on the site of older wooden fortifications. The Kremlin was located on Sobornaya Hill, along the Mozhayka River. The first wooden pogost on that place was erected back in the XII century. A fragment of the first construction of oak wood and clay was found by archeologists inside the Novo-Nikolsky Cathedral. In the next centuries, the fortress was burned down by enemies, but the locals rebuilt it again. The earth rampart, which you can see today, dates no earlier than the XIV century.
In 1541, by the order of Ivan the Terrible, Mozhaysk fortress, which was damaged by a fire, was rebuilt again. In 1603, Boris Godunov, seeing the dilapidated and poorly fortified citadel, ordered to rebuild a white-stone fortress. Thus, the first stone buildings appeared. In the 1920s a powerful Kremlin was built in Mozhaysk, which became a border town after Smolensk was lost. The Kremlin was built of brick and stone, and then whitewashed. The famous Dmitry Pozharsky was appointed governor of the new fortress. But, after the conclusion of peace with Poland in 1686, the Kremlin quickly began to decay, the locals stole bricks and stones. A fire in 1748 almost completely destroyed the Kremlin ensemble. In 1802 an official imperial decree authorized dismantling of the Kremlins in Mozhaisk, Serpukhov and Kolomna. In the Soviet times on the territory of the Kremlin a Park of Culture and Recreation was opened (liquidated in the 90s). The New Nicholas and Peter and Paul Cathedrals, a stone bridge, the Kremlin chapel, the Kremlin Gate with a gateway chapel, the earth rampart and the spring Clear Lake, built in the late years of the fortress, have been preserved to this day. Now there is a model of the historic Kremlin.
The New Nicholas Cathedral
Nikolsky (or New Nikolsky Cathedral ) – this is one of the most beautiful ancient buildings of Mozhaisk. The first stone church was erected above St. Nicholas Gate at the end of the XV century. It was the Church of the Exaltation. The church with a tower was badly damaged during the Polish siege of 1618. At the end of XVII century the tower and the church were almost completely rebuilt. The new gate church was called the New St. Nicholas Cathedral and the old city church was renamed the Old St. Nicholas Cathedral. Due to its dilapidated state, in 1805 the New St. Nicholas Cathedral (which was considered to be one of the most beautiful creations of Russian architects) was demolished together with the Mozhaisk Kremlin.
In the same years it was decided to rebuild a new cathedral in the Neo-Gothic style. For the building were used fortress gates and gate church. Instead of the old bell tower a rotunda-dome with 4 towers in Moorish style in the corners was built. A new bell tower with a high spire was built on the west side. Prior to revolutionary times, among the treasures of the New Nicholas Cathedral were the relics of St. Sergius of Radonezh, the Great Martyr Barbara and several other saints. During German occupation there was a camp for prisoners of war set up on the territory of the monastery. After the restoration of the 60s, a knitting factory was opened inside the cathedral. At present, restoration work continues in the cathedral.
Church of Peter and Paul
Peter and Paul Cathedral (formerly called the Old Nicholas Church) is another ancient structure on the territory of the Mozhaisk Kremlin. The first city cathedral appeared in the times of the wooden citadel, in the XII-XIII centuries. A stone cathedral appeared at the turn of XIV-XV centuries. Then it was called the Cathedral of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker. At the end of XV century it was renamed the Cathedral of St. Nicholas of Mozhaisk. The cathedral withstood the destruction of the Mozhaisk Kremlin, but suffered a lot during the Patriotic War of 1812: the French army looted and burned it out. In the following years the authorities repeatedly planned to demolish the dilapidated structure, but time after time the townspeople sent petitions for funds to rebuild it. The temple was crumbling – when the restoration work began, the cathedral collapsed.
In the second half of the XIX century a new cathedral was built in place of the ruined one – the Peter and Paul Cathedral. In Soviet times the city museum was located inside. Nowadays the cathedral is closed for regular services, but from time to time funerals take place.
Luzhetsky Ferapontov Monastery
The next significant sight of Mozhaisk is located at a distance of about 2 km from the Kremlin. This is Luzhetsky Ferapontov Monastery, founded in 1408. To the monastery you can go by Podgornaya Street and then by Strelkova Street – it is the fastest route, the way on foot will take about 20 minutes. But you can turn on the road to Krupskaya Street to see two small churches: Akhtyrskaya Church and the Church of Joachim and Anne.
Mozhaisky Luzhetsky monastery was founded by St. Ferapont Belozersky, a former disciple of Sergius of Radonezh. The first stone cathedral on the territory of Luzhetsky monastery stood until the XVI century. From 1524 to 1547, a new cathedral with five heads was under construction, which survived until now. Now the architectural ensemble of the Luzhtsky Monastery consists of: the Cathedral of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin (1524-1547), the Vvedenskaya church with refectory chambers (first half of the XVI century), the Gateway Church of Transfiguration (1603), bell tower and stone railing (XVII century), the abbot’s building and cells (1681-1692, rebuilt many times), the east entrance gate (1780) and a number of other household structures. There are also preserved foundations of the house of Venerable Ferapont. Near the monastery is “The well of St. Ferapont” – a source of healing water with a furnished fonts.
Park “Mozhaisk Riviera”.
On the outskirts of Mozhaisk, not far from the Luzhetsky Monastery, there is Mozhaisk Riviera Park (another name is the Park of Russian-Belarusian Friendship). The area on the bank of the Moskva River was landscaped quite recently. Here it is pleasant to relax after a busy walk through the sights of Mozhaisk. The park has benches and gazebos, there is a children’s and sports ground. Townspeople especially like to ride bicycles, rollerblades or skateboards in the park.
Museum-reserve “Borodino Field
At 15 kilometers from Mozhaisk is one of the main attractions of the area – a museum-reserve “Borodino Field” . The museum was founded on the site of the legendary Battle of Borodino (the settlement of Borodino, Mozhaisk District). Founded in 1839, it is one of the oldest museums erected on the battlefield. On the territory of the museum-reserve there are several dozen monuments devoted to various regiments and divisions, the tomb of General Bagration and several thematic expositions.
The main monument is a monument to the heroes of the Battle of Borodino at the Raevsky Battery . The palace and park ensemble in the village of Borodino consists of a wooden imperial palace (rebuilt as a museum of the mansion house), the Church of the Nativity of Christ built in 1701, cavalry wings, a dining hall and a park with outbuildings. All the buildings and the park were restored to coincide with the 200th anniversary of the Borodino Battle. In the imperial palace and the main museum building near the Rayevsky Battery tourists are invited to visit several exhibitions:
- “Borodino Field: Milestones of History. The collection features artifacts from different eras: from the oldest archaeological finds to the military uniforms of the armies of the 19th century.
- “Glory forever, Borodino!” . The exposition is devoted to the Battle of Borodino. Among the exhibits: paintings depicting the battle; diaries of the participants; uniforms and weapons; models of the battlefield.
- “Heroes of the novel “War and Peace” on the Borodino field” . The exposition is located in the building of the former hotel of the Spaso-Borodinsky monastery (this is where Leo Tolstoy stayed). There are manuscripts of the writer, quotations from the novel with portraits of characters and the first copies of the novel War and Peace.
- The house-museum of Abbess Maria . In the restored house there is a memorial exposition devoted to the life of the famous Abbess Maria. Visitors will learn about the foundation by her Spaso-Borodinskogo monastery, about the heroism of her husband, will see the relics of Mary.
Also belongs to the museum-reserve is the Spaso-Borodinsky monastery. It was built at the site of the death of Major-General Tuchkov by his wife Margarita (later Abbess Maria). For a better view of the battlefield, go to the Roubaud Heights . You can get to the museum-reserve “Borodino Field” from Mozhaisk by cab or by bus from the city bus station.
The rest of the day you can spend strolling through the historic center of Mozhaisk. The city has preserved the buildings of the past centuries: wooden houses and stone manor houses. In summer, it’s also worth stopping on the shore of the Mozhaisk reservoir – the water here is clean and suitable for safe bathing.
The walking route around Mozhaisk starts from the place where the Kremlin used to be. Here you’ll see the preserved earth ramparts, the New Nicholas and Peter and Paul Cathedral. Then you’ll visit the main sacred monastery of the city – Luzhetskiy Ferapontov Monastery. After observing the territory of the monastery and having walked to the well of st. Ferapont, go to the park “Mozhaisk Riviera”. The park is located on the bank of the Moskva River – you can have a picnic or have a rest there. In the afternoon, drive or take a bus to the Borodino Field Museum-Reserve. The main part of the route ends here. But if you want, you can go back to Mozhaisk and walk along the streets of the historic center or have a rest on the bank of Mozhaisk reservoir.
The museum-reserve “Borodino Field” is considered the main and most interesting museum of the Mozhaisk district. But in the city itself there are several interesting expositions devoted to the history and cultural life of Mozhaisk. If you have time, it is worth visiting 1-2 city museums. Expositions in them are not very large, the visit will not take more than 1-1.5 hours.
Regional Museum of Mozhaisk
Mozhaisk Local History Museum is a branch of the museum-reserve “Borodino Field”. The museum is located in the city center within walking distance from the Mozhaisk Kremlin. The basis of the exposition is a collection of historical and everyday items and findings of archaeologists on the Mozhaisk soil. Here you can also look at paintings and graphic works by artists from Mozhaisk. The exhibition hall of the museum hosts temporary exhibitions from the funds of the museum-reserve “Borodino Field”.
A panoramic view of the Mozhaisk historical museum
The S. V. Gerasimov House Museum
The memorial museum is dedicated to the life and work of the most famous Mozhaisk painter – Sergey Vasilievich Gerasimov. The house is interesting for its architecture – it is a log cabin with huge panoramic windows (the artist’s studio was set up there). The basis of the exhibition are the artist’s personal belongings, archive photographs, original furniture of the early 20th century and, of course, his paintings. Here you can see with your own eyes the part of the Moskva River that Gerasimov loved to depict in his paintings – the windows of the glass veranda face the river. The house-museum is located not far from the Luzhitsky monastery, on the road to the park “Mozhaisk Riviera”.
A panoramic view of the artist Gerasimov’s house-museum
Museum of Military Glory
Many Russians associate the city of Mozhaisk primarily with the military pages of our history. Museum of Military Glory takes two halls. The exposition of the first hall is devoted to the events of the Great Patriotic War. The exhibits (military uniforms, soldiers’ letters, weapons and household items) were found by a search party in Mozhaisk bogs and surrounding woods. A small exposition in the second hall is devoted to modern military conflicts.
Panoramic view of the entrance to the Museum of Military Glory
Stories, routes, and tourist tips with photos
A list of sights of Mozhaisk, what to see in 1 day is a must, can be found in the reviews of tourists. Travelers share their itineraries around the city and options for traveling around the Mozhaisk area. Tourists in reports about Mozhaisk leave recommendations on the competent composition of the walking route, advise cafes and restaurants of the city. In the reviews you will find inspiring pictures of Mozhaisk at different times of the year.
- The story “How can we not love our versts?” by Anna Abrosimova.
- Photo album “In the fields near Mozhaisk” by Ekaterina.
- Photo album “Passing Town” by Vladimir Shalaev.
- Photo album “Mozhaisk is a holy city of military glory” by Margarita Kushnirenko.
Where to stay in Mozhaisk
To explore one of the brightest historical cities near Moscow in detail and unhurriedly, you can stay both in the city itself and its suburbs. The choice within the city is modest, although there are several ideas among the small hotels and apartments.
Expand your options for staying in Mozhaysk allows accommodation in the nearby area. For example, to the south of the town there is “Hobbitland Eco Hotel” with its stylish dugouts, to the north – “Starspodvorie” guesthouse in the Russian style, and on the banks of Mozhaisk reservoir – comfortable park-hotel “Krasnovidovo”, recreation center with camping “Kalipso” and several modern cottages for vacation. You can organize a full-fledged vacation in them for a weekend or a vacation, adding horseback riding, fishing, barbecue, or swimming in the Mozhaisk sea.
Excursions from Mozhaisk for 1 day
The most popular options for short trips from Mozhaisk are trips to neighboring cities near Moscow. For 1 day from Mozhaisk you can go to Serpukhov – another city with an ancient history. In Serpukhov is preserved Vysotsky monastery of the XIV century, you can examine the remains of the ancient Kremlin, as well as just stroll through the streets, admiring the old merchant mansions. Among other interesting cities of Moscow region it is worth to visit: Kolomna – the capital of pastilles, Sergiev Posad with the famous Lavra, Zaraisk with the Kremlin of XVI century.
For 1 day from Mozhaisk you can go to Moscow – the road will take about 2 hours. Also from Mozhaisk, located near the western border of Moscow region, it is convenient to travel to neighboring regions. For 1 day you can go to Kaluga, Smolensk, Tver or Tula. A little farther away are the picturesque Valday and Veliky Novgorod. The road one way will take from 5-5,5 hours, but some tourists have time to visit these places one day.
Mozhaisk: sights, what to see in one day
Mozhaisk is a city of military glory with centuries-old history, ancient monuments of architecture. Visitors will discover the miraculously preserved buildings of Luzhetsky monastery, the New Nikolsky Cathedral and the famous Borodino field. Mozhaisk and its surroundings are picturesque and ecologically clean.
|Date of Mozhaisk foundation:||1231 г.|
|Population of the city:||30,190 people (2018)|
|Area of the city:||17.8 km²|
Historical facts and legends about Mozhaisk
The word “mezha” (border) is taken as the basis for the name of the city. Mozhaisk was located on the borders of the principalities – Smolensk, Chernigov, Moscow.
Some historians hold a different opinion. At that time many towns were named after rivers. Perhaps the presence of the river Mozhaika, so named by the tribes of the Balts, served as the idea for the name of the village.
An interesting fact. The first settlement, situated on a hill near the river, was surrounded by dense forests. They prevented tracking the approach of the enemy, so they were destroyed. As a result, the forest springs dried up. Their flow into the river stopped. Almost a stream remained.
The year 1231 is the date of the first record in the chronicles about Mozhaysk, which was located in an advantageous location – a meeting of two trade routes – to Smolensk and Novgorod-Tver.
The city has always been in the field of military events, since it bordered on the possessions of Moscow. And many sought to capture Moscow. Mozhaisk stood in their way. The primary task was to protect the village. Thus appeared wooden Kremlin, built on a high hill. At that time it was a powerful construction. The city survived:
- attack of the Mongol-Tatars (1293);
- assault of the troops of the Lithuanian prince (1368);
- capture of Golden Horde by the army of Khan Tokhtamysh (1382);
- destructions during the Time of Troubles – the capture by the troops of False Dmitri II (1608-1614); siege by the army of Polish Prince Vladislav (1617).
The end of the 14th-beginning of the 15th century was the time when the city was the capital of the Mozhaisk principality, minting its own coins. Temples were built there. Trade and crafts were developing.
Ivan the Terrible and Boris Godunov visited it. The attention of the Moscow rulers affected the development of the city. They came for several months on pilgrimage. Beautiful palaces were built for them. Special suburbs were built for foreign ambassadors. Temples, churches, monasteries were added. Their number reached 75.
The city was famous for the icon of St. Nicholas of Mozhaisk. According to a legend, St. Nicholas appeared in the sky above the Kremlin hill with a sword and a shield to the enemies besieging the city. The forces were unequal. The advancing soldiers immediately retreated, frightened by the apparition. The enemies conquered the area only 200 years later, when the icon was taken away. The fame of the holy icon spread all over Rus. Many pilgrims came to worship it. Now it is kept in the Moscow Tretyakov Gallery.
1624 – the beginning of construction of the stone Kremlin by Dmitry Pozharsky. Moscow Kitay-gorod was taken as its basis. In 1782 Empress Catherine II ordered to dismantle it due to its dilapidated state. Stone from the demolition was used to build the New Nicholas Cathedral.
The events of the Patriotic War of 1812 left their imprint on the history of the city. After the French troops occupied it, the area became famous for the struggle of guerrilla groups. Denis Davydov’s detachment was famous. The famous Battle of Borodino took place near Mozhaisk (at a distance of 12 km).
The flowering of the economy of the town falls on the years of Soviet power. But during the Great Patriotic War the city was heavily damaged, experienced a long occupation.
In today’s Mozhaisk there are 30190 people (as of January 1, 2018). Its area is 17.8 km2. The distance to Moscow is only 106 km.
The main streets of the city
The rectangular grid of streets was partly designed back in the 18th century.
Moskovskaya Street is the central street of Mozhaysk.
It starts from the Minsk highway. Its main attractions – office buildings, squares (Bagrationovsky, Leninsky), medical center.
Passing along this street, travelers pay attention to the original chapel of Nicholas the Wonderworker of Mozhaisk. It is installed on Komsomolskaya square. This saint has always been revered by the inhabitants of Mozhaisk. He is still considered to be their patron. No wonder they celebrate the City Day on May 22 – the date of veneration of the saint.
A chapel that reminds of the appearance of the image of Nicholas the Wonderworker before the enemies and their flight.
Borodinskaya Street attracts by the presence of ancient architectural structures.
The New Nicholas Cathedral in Mozhaisk
It is built on a hill, so it is visible from any place in Mozhaisk. The cathedral attracts tourists with its uniqueness and multiple mysteries. Built in pseudo-Gothic style, elements of which are clearly visible on the facade of the building.
The New St. Nicholas Cathedral was restored to its original form
The first church was built in the 16th century in honor of a saint who saved the city from enemies. It housed an icon made of wood by a local craftsman, with an image of Nicholas the Wonderworker of Mozhaisk. In 1844 the dilapidated church collapsed. Soon it was restored. Behind it remained the name – Stary-Nikolsky.
The building of New Nicholas cathedral lasted more than 30 years. The period of 1802-1814 was the most intensive period of construction.
From the outside it is decorated with elegant rotundas and turrets, narrow lancet windows. The cathedral is adjoined on the west side by a bell tower, consisting of 3 tiers, topped with a sharp spire with a cross. The decor of the cathedral is white-stone pyramids with round knobs. Its corners are decorated with four round rotundas-towers, set on small bases.
Once inside, visitors ascend a steep staircase made of stone into the altar hall. The first thing that draws attention is that there are no opulent luxurious attributes in the rooms, similar to those of other Orthodox churches.
There is an asceticism in the hall.
There is an explanation for this – the temple has been repeatedly ravaged, since it was in the epicenter of the fighting. Restoration work is underway, but requires a lot of additional funds.
The preserved walls of the Kremlin’s Nikolsky Gate have been added to the first floor of the building. It was on them that the icon with the famous image of St. Nicholas was placed.
In the pre-revolutionary temple there were relics of Great Martyr Barbara, Sergius of Radonezh and other relics.
On the street of Sergey Gerasimov there are two famous attractions – Luzhetsky monastery and house-museum of the famous artist, in honor of which the street was named.
Luzhetsky Monastery in Mozhaisk
This monastery is often referred to as a tsar’s monastery because tsars were involved in its construction. Ivan the Terrible donated money for the Vvedensky temple, and Boris Godunov was present at the consecration of the Transfiguration Church.
The monastery founded in 1408 by Ferapont Belozersky is situated on the bank of the Moskva River, the source of which begins in this very place. Beautiful landscapes of the shallow river with small islands can be seen from the monastery.
Luzhetsky Monastery in Mozhaisk
It was the only one of 18 monasteries that survived to this day. It has been restored several times.
Its main relic is the found relics of Ferapont the Venerable, which attract pilgrims to it.
Near the monastery there is a spring of St. Ferapont https://goo.gl/images/fyWa3f.
It is as old as the monastery. It was dug out by St. Ferapont, to whom from all Russia came for healing. Its spring was also considered healing. Many laymen sought to drink the healing water. The merchant Ivan Rybnikov managed to cure his illness with water from the holy spring. After that, he decided to build a chapel and equip a well.
For a long time, the spring was in disrepair. Now the area has been landscaped:
- the spring has been cleared away;
- A wooden chapel and a bell tower have been built;
- A bathing house has been built;
- There is a church shop;
- There is a monument to St. Ferapont.
The area is clean, with many flower beds. The paths are tiled. The spring is visited not only by all those wishing to be healed and believing in the power of the holy water, but also by local residents.
Every year on May 27, it is possible to see a procession around the holy spring. This is how the faithful pay tribute to St. Ferapont.
The house-museum of the artist S. V. Gerasimov
There is a small park with a two-story house near Luzhetsky monastery. There is a museum of the famous artist, which presents more than 450 of his works. His picturesque landscapes reflect his love for his native land, depicting the beauty of Mozhaisk expanses.
Gerasimov’s personal belongings and awards are preserved in the house.
The house is in a beautiful place. On the territory of his parents’ estate the artist himself selected a plot for his studio and supervised the construction work.
The estates of famous Russian families
In Mozhaisk and its surroundings there are many estates of historical value.
In the street of Red partisans, 15/17 you can see the estate of Khlebnikov-Rolle
The main house of the estate is a one-story brick building with decorations on the facades of ledges and risalites. The French merchant Rolle owned the lot. He ordered to add around the house terrace with stairs (now it is almost destroyed), to protect the territory of a carved metal fence. Near the terrace was an orchard.
Rolle had ten children. Each child was given a separate flowerbed. The children liked to look after the plants, breed new species. There are exotic plants in the garden even now.
An interesting fact. Emperor Nicholas II was supposed to stop at this estate on his way to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Borodino. But the emperor’s plans changed, he used the railway line, specially built.
The estate was sold to the merchant Disan Khlebnikov. He did not live there long. After the revolution he left the country. The building was visited:
- the military registration and enlistment office;
- committee of the All-Union Communist Party of Bolsheviks;
- During the war, partisan detachments were created there;
- Komsomol district committee;
- then the department of agriculture.
The question of the ownership of the mansion is debatable. There are opinions of historians that this house was built by Khlebnikov for the arrival of the emperor. The Rolle mansion was opposite and has not survived. And the confusion stems from the same address – at the intersection of Bolshaya Afanasievskaya and Sretenskaya Streets.
After the transfer of the Agricultural Department to another building, the homestead was empty and survived two fires. The garden is no longer home to large exotic trees, brought by Rolle from other countries.
At 20 km from Mozhaisk in the village of Goretovo is an estate of the XVIII century, which in different periods visited:
- Musin-Pushkin (the founder of the estate);
- Bestuzhev-Riumin (he was in exile);
- The Volkonskys.
The estate reached its peak at the time of the Volkonskys. Besides a two-storey house the estate comprised a church, a greenhouse, fruit gardens, and even plants – a brick factory, a tannery, and a distillery.
Homestead in the village of Goretovo
On the territory survived: a two-story outbuilding, a park and pond, the functioning Trinity Church.
The Gudkov factory manor and cottage was built in the late 19th century and was given to the Borodino Museum
Gudkov is remembered for his charitable activity:
- founded the wooden church of St. Alexander Nevsky;
- organized a rural school.
The first impression of the house is its resemblance to an ordinary peasant structure. But on closer inspection reveals that expensive materials were used for its construction. Near the church is an abandoned cemetery with surviving graves of Gudkov’s mother and son. He himself died in captivity after being arrested by the NKVD.
Location of the estate – near Mozhaisk, near Borodino Field. It is being reconstructed, after which it will be opened for visitors.
Museum-reserve “Borodino Field
An introduction to Mozhaisk would not be complete without a visit to the Military Historical Museum-Reserve “Borodino Field”.
Created back in 1839, it occupies an area of more than 109 square kilometers. The famous Battle of Borodino between Kutuzov’s army and the armies of Napoleon Bonaparte took place here in August 1812. And in October 1941 there was the line of defense during the German offensive on Moscow.
The museum-reserve includes:
- the main building;
- palace and park ensemble;
- the Spaso-Borodinsky Monastery;
- a small house of Abbess Maria.
At the place of the museum’s main building in the center of the field there used to be a small gatehouse built on the orders of Nicholas I. Two war veterans looked after the main monument and the tomb of Bagration. The house kept a map of the Borodino field and items found on the battlefield.
The main monument to the Russian soldiers was established with the participation of Prince Alexander Nikolaevich, who laid the first stone. True, the first monument was destroyed in 1932, but later it was rebuilt. Used the same materials – bronze with gilding and cast iron.
At Borodino Field visitors are acquainted with:
- Kutuzov’s monument;
- the tombs of Bagration and Tatishchev;
- mass graves, burials of Russian officers;
- artillery fortifications: Shevardin redoubt, battery Rayevsky;
- boats, trenches, anti-tank trenches;
- active expositions.
There are 50 memorials on the field. It is unreal to see all of them at once. They are separated by a considerable distance. With their location introduces a map of the field.
The first Sunday of September is the annual “Day of Borodin” festival with colorful shows. At them, viewers can imagine the events of those days, seeing soldiers dressed in Russian and French uniforms, hussars on horseback and hearing the roar of cannons.
Day of Borodin. (Reconstruction of the battle)
Muscovites and residents of the Moscow region in Mozhaisk like picturesque natural places and, above all, the Mozhaisk Reservoir.
It attracts not only fishermen but also lovers of beach recreation and swimming. In the center of the reservoir is an island Gorokhovsky. During the summertime its water often reaches 30° C. It is sometimes called Mozhaisk island.
Sometimes it is called – Mozhaisk sea. However, the reservoir was created artificially in 1960. Its coastline stretches for 90 km. From Mozhaisk to the reservoir by road you can get just 10 minutes.
Mozhaisk Reservoir in the fall
Lovers of both winter and summer recreation, you will always find something to do in this place. Fishermen like the diversity of fish. There are: pike, pike, perch, ruff, tench, burbot, carp. And what a pleasure it is to catch a big fish weighing 5-10 kilos! On specially equipped sports bases you can rent equipment and boats.
During summer days, tourists enjoy gathering mushrooms in coniferous and deciduous forests, riding bicycles, scooters, boats. In winter, they fish, hunt, ski and skate.
On the territory of the reservoir there are recreation centers, boarding houses, sanatoriums.
After a short acquaintance with Mozhaisk for a day there is a desire to come to this beautiful area for rest or treatment.