30 best sights of Sevastopol
At any time of the year, a trip to the city where the history of maritime achievements of the Russian navy was born, will bring unforgettable pleasure. Comfortable climate, beautiful scenery, the opportunities of numerous resorts create optimal conditions for learning interesting facts about the historical past of an important section of the Black Sea coast.
You can learn these facts during independent recreation or travel on excursions. The sights of Sevastopol can not be seen in one trip. There are over two thousand historical monuments on its territory. Among them, there are those that are visited in the first place.
The architectural monument is among the first buildings of the city. On the place, where the Greeks, Golden Horde, the khans of the Ottoman Empire Catherine II ordered to create a base for the fleet on the Black Sea. The first pier made of wood rose here in 1783. There appeared a convenient staging post for ships. Rear Admiral Count Marko Voinovich moored his boat here more than once.
He commanded a squadron of Sevastopol, and the pier was named in his honor (for a long time it was called Catherine’s). The modern look of the pier was formed in 1846 after rebuilding under the leadership of an Englishman, John Upton. Since that time, it became the ceremonial sea entrance to the city. At the top of the snow-white Doric colonnade is inscribed the date of the erection of the majestic structure.
From the slender Doric columns broad marches to the sea. At the bottom it is guarded by huge sculptures of marble lions. There is a legend, if you put the palm of your hand into the lion’s mouth, then your wish will come true. Throughout its long history the pier has always been involved in important events of the city. Ammunition and food for the bastions were delivered to it, and the ships were sent.
During World War II it was badly damaged. Now it is a functioning pier. On holidays there are festivities. There are a lot of memorial tablets of white marble on the pylons of the colonnade in honor of the names known from historical events. This beautiful architectural structure is located on the western part of the South Bay. It overlooks Sevastopol Bay, Konstantinovsky and Mikhailovsky forts on the north side.
Address: Nakhimov avenue, 4.
When you walk along Heroes’ Street, you unnoticeably find yourself next to a historical place, known from literary works and movies. Behind the cast-iron gates, decorated with four double-headed eagles, marked with the dates 1854, 1855, there is the legendary Sevastopol’s tactical height. Twice at the height of 97 meters fierce battles took place here: during the Crimean War and the Great Patriotic War.
On top of the hill, named after Capt. Mikhailovich Malakhov. His house stood at the foot of the city plan in 1852. Almost immediately there was erected Kornilov’s defensive bastion, which has survived to this day. You can enter the territory of the memorial complex by a three-stage amphitheater and side stairs. Each tier is equipped with viewing platforms, and the central part looks like a French park with beautifully trimmed shrubs.
Tiered arrangement of viewing areas allows you to see the South Bay, the city. Everywhere there are cast-iron memorial plates with the names of the batteries: “Battery No. 84 Nikiforov. “Battery No. 28 Stanislavsky”, “Battery No. 18 Panfirov”, cannons, guns 1941-42. Through the mound runs a green Alley of Friendship, planted by representatives of various delegations after the victory in the Patriotic War.
Interesting facts are connected with the hill: Admiral Kornilov died here (there is a monument), the father of the future ruler of Russia Kolchak was found seriously wounded. In honor of the Russian and French soldiers who died defending the city and buried in a mass grave, there is a monument of white marble. The Eternal Flame was first lit on the mound. It was the third memorial in the world. There is a museum of liberation and heroic battles with permanent and temporary exhibitions.
Address: “Memorial Complex” Sevastopol. Nearby is a stop of trolleybuses 17, 1, 7 and shuttle buses.
Defensive Tower of Kornilov Bastion
During the Crimean War on the orders of General Moller eight bastions were created to defend the city. They stretched for 7.5 km from Kilen Balka to the Alexander Bay. One bastion had no number. It rose on the Malakhov mound. Fortification (donjon or stone multi-storey tower) was built at the expense of the inhabitants of the city according to the project of military engineer Starchenko.
The defensive tower with a diameter of about 15 meters was built of Inkerman stone and has a form of a horseshoe. There are thick walls, 52 loopholes, 5 cannons, a cellar for gunpowder, a room for storing provisions. There were plans to make an underground passage from the tower, but they failed. Lieutenant Colonel Artsybashev was the first commandant of the fortification.
From the flame torch (it burned until 1989) installed on the roof of the lower tier, the eternal flame was lit in Kerch, Odessa, Novorossiysk, and Sapun Hill. Now there is a museum in the defensive construction of the Kornilov Bastion. Its exhibits include samples of uniforms, soldiers’ household items, awards, and lithographs depicting the true events of the first defense on the Malakhov Hill.
Monument to Sunken Ships
In 1969 the image of the monument was inserted into the coat of arms of Sevastopol. Walking along the Primorsky Boulevard you can clearly see a rock with a column and a figure of an eagle, holding an anchor and a laurel wreath in its beak. At the base of the monument is a bronze plate with the lines of sinking ships in the bay of Sevastopol. The inscription “In memory of the ships sunk in 1854 and 1855 to block the entrance to the roads” says about the unusual fate of the ships of the Black Sea Fleet.
With their deaths they saved the city by blocking the entrance to the enemy ships. It happened in the difficult moments of defeat on the river Alma in 1854. Russian commanders took the only correct decision to sink the old ships and not to let the enemy into the city. Among them were the frigates “Flora”, “Sisopol”, “Cahul” and “Midia”. The ships “Silistria”, “Varna”, “Twelve Apostles”, “Selephail” and others.
90 ships have found their last berth here For the clearing of the bay in the postwar years, it took 10 years. In 1905 to honor the 50th anniversary of the first defense of the city an unusual monument was built on an artificial rock in the sea. In 1949 the name of the sculptor Amandus Adamson (Estonia) was clarified.
The monument withstood the war years, the devastating earthquake of 1927 and became the most famous historical monument of the resort. You can see it from Nakhimov Square, Primorsky Boulevard. They are located in the center of the city.
Panorama “Defense of Sevastopol in 1854-1855”.
The city’s heroic past is represented by rich exhibitions in the largest museum, established in 1960. In the collections of the museum there are over 150 thousand items related to the events of the Crimean War. The first exhibit of the museum was the legendary panorama of the city defense battles. The fate of Russia on the Balkan Peninsula was decided at the walls of the resort’s defenses.
In the memory of the people the reflection of the difficult period appeared in the unique panorama canvas, which was among the largest works of such a plan in the world. The basis of the compositions are views of real battles, located on an area 115 m long and 14 m high. The panorama is located on the second floor and you can get there by spiral stairs.
The author’s idea was realized from the view at the top of Malakhov kurgan. The image shows what happened at all stages of the battle: in the rear, on the approaches, in the hand-to-hand fight at the Zherve battery. Events are related to 6 (18) June 1855 of the 349 days of defense. The creator of the “living image of the battle” is the Russian battle-painter F.A. Rubo.
Address: Historical Boulevard. Museum Panorama is located next to the bus and train stations. Go to the stops “Panorama” or “Ushakov Square”.
Among the defensive constructions of the first line of city’s defense during the Crimean War was the legendary Konstantinovskaya Battery. It was built in 1840 and named after Konstantin Pavlovich (Catherine the Great’s grandson). It is a two-tiered stone construction in the form of a horseshoe, located on the northern section of Sevastopol Bay. It is 230 m long and 25 m wide.
The fortress rises above the sea at 12 m. The cannons of the battery controlled the water area of the bay when entering the harbor of foreign ships in the XIX and XX centuries. Baptism of fire, one of the main military fortresses of Russia has received the first bombardment in October 1854 with 11 British ships. The last restoration of the fortress was carried out in 2017. It is open to visitors as a museum.
There are permanent exhibitions: “History of the Russian Geographical Society in Persons, Photographs and Facts”, “Konstantinovskaya Battery: Two Centuries on Guard of the Motherland”. On the upper tier is an observation deck, which provides a view of the city. Despite the loss of military direction in the life of the fortress, every day there is a midday cannon shot from the Konstantinovsky fort.
This tradition was born in 1819 and later became a custom in many port cities (St. Petersburg, Vladivostok, Kronstadt). At 12 o’clock in the afternoon the shot is heard, in the Sailor’s Club the chimes with the melody “Legendary Sevastopol” are heard, and on the ships the vials are beaten.
Address: 24 Zagordianskogo Street on the north side. It is convenient to go by cab or by bus from Zakharov Square.
Attractions in Sevastopol
Sevastopol, built on the Heraclea peninsula on the Black Sea coast, is rightfully considered one of the most beautiful cities in Russia. Many people come here not only for the beach holidays. The city is known for its rich history. There is always something to see in Sevastopol tourists. You will need more than one day to see at least part of what the hero-city is famous for.
What to see in Sevastopol in 1 day
The city was founded in 1783. During this time there have been many symbolic events for the national history. The main attractions of the city have become an eternal reminder of them. The question of what to visit in Sevastopol is not difficult.
Monument of sunken ships
One of the main sights that reminds you of the tragic event. In 1854, Admiral Nakhimov, realizing that Russian sailing ships would not be able to defeat the Anglo-French-Turkish squadron, whose steamers brought 150,000 troops to the Russian shores, made a tough decision. He gave the order to sink the warships. Fifty years later, an artificial rock was created in the water, where the monument was erected, which is a dolomite column topped with a double-headed eagle with a laurel wreath and an anchor.
Location: Primorsky Boulevard, near the seafront. To get there by public transport – bus lines №12, 17, 117, trolleybus lines – №5, 12, 13 (the stop Admiral Nakhimov Square).
The tower was built in the late 19th century. Despite the unusual appearance of the landmark, it had a simple purpose – it played the role of a ventilation shaft, provided air circulation in the Naval Library, which burned down in a fire in 1955. It is an octagonal structure in antique style with an arched rotunda on the second tier and bas-reliefs based on mythical stories.
Bus routes 8, 12, 109 (“Lazarev Square”) go to the tower. Address: Frunze Street, 5.
Prince Potemkin, who wished to impress Catherine II, when she visited the Crimea, ordered special verst posts to be set along the way, where the motorcade of empress had to pass. On each tenth verst there were monuments – miles. Several of them survived to this day. In Sevastopol there is a hexagonal column with a cone on top.
It is located on Chelyuskintsev Street. Get there by bus routes 16, 56 and 151 (“Internat”).
See other places of interest:
Monument to Kornilov.
Vice-Admiral V. A. Kornilov was another hero of the Crimean War. He was in charge of the first defense of Sevastopol. The monument on Malakhov Hill was erected in 1895, but during the Great Patriotic War it was destroyed. The monument was restored in 1983.
Take public transport to Malakhov Kurgan.
Chorgun Bridge Aqueduct
Another interesting place to visit. The aqueduct bridge on the river was built in the mid-19th century before the Crimean War. It was built at the initiative of Admiral Lazarev, so it is also called Lazarevsky. The construction, built in the Roman style of the three semicircular arched spans, is 12 meters long, 8 meters high and 4.5 meters wide.
You can get there by buses 40, 129, and 134 from the village of Khmelnitsky.
Lighthouse of Chersonesos
The landmark is located on the Cape of Chersonesos. It is the westernmost point of the city. It was built in 1816 and is still working. It is considered one of the most powerful in Europe. At night it is backlit. Near the lighthouse during the Great Patriotic War the last defensive battles were fought.
To get there take bus №77, the bus stop is “Lighthouse-2”.
St. Vladimir’s Cathedral Shrine
One of the outstanding examples of temple architecture. In the vaults rested the ashes of Admiral P. Nakhimov, V. Istomin, V. Kornilov, M. Lazarev. After the revolution the temple and the vaults were desecrated. During the Great Patriotic War the building was badly damaged during the bombing. At the end of the 20th century was carried out a large-scale reconstruction of the site of Sevatopol. At the same time the vaults were explored, and the remains of heroes were solemnly reburied.
The temple is open every day from 10:00 to 18:00.
Address: Suvorova Street, 3. Go by buses 8, 12, 109 and trolleybuses 1, 4, 10 (Lazarev Square).
The construction of the church was completed in 1905. In terms of outlines it resembles an ancient basilica. There are graceful stone carvings on the pediments and apertures of the high arched windows. The facade of the building is decorated with stucco and inside there are mosaic icons. The main shrines of the cathedral – parts of relics of canonized Admiral F. Ushakov and St. Luke of Tauris.
The cathedral is located on Bolshaya Morskaya Street, 36 and is open every day from 7:00 to 19:00. It is approached by buses 5, 12, 109 and trolleybuses 1, 3, 9 (Pobeda Cinema).
Peter and Paul Cathedral
The Orthodox Cathedral, built 4 years and consecrated in 1844, is not only a religious treasure, but also one of the pearls of Sevastopol architecture. The building was built according to the canons of ancient architecture with a portico, decorated with bas-reliefs, graceful colonnade around the perimeter.
Opening hours: Tuesday – Thursday, 14:00 – 20:00. Other days of the week: 14:00 – 20:00.
Address: Lunacharskogo street, 37. Go by bus number 109, trolleybuses 3, 7 and 9 (Lenin Street).
Church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker
This modern building of the late 20th century at the Bratsk Memorial Cemetery is one of the top iconic sites. It was built on the site of a church from 1870, which was completely destroyed during the war with the Germans. The pyramid-shaped temple is topped with a cross weighing 16 tons.
Outside the walls are commemorative plaques on which are carved the names of the military units who participated in the defense of the city during the Crimean War. Inside, on marble slabs are the names of the admirals, generals and officers who also died in the defense of Sevastopol.
Open every day (7 a.m. to 6 p.m.). It is located in the Brotherhood Cemetery at: 43, Bogdanov St., Sevastopol. To get there by bus routes number 17, 195, the bus stop is a gas station.
St. George Monastery on Cape Fiolent
The monastery was first mentioned in a Genoese chronicle of the 14th century. According to another version, it was built in the 10th century. However, the exact date of its appearance could not be established.
The monastery was visited by writers Bunin, Chekhov, Tolstoy, Emperor Nicholas II, the painter Ivan Aivazovsky, who depicted it in one of his paintings. Today only ruins and a cemetery remain from the ancient object. The temple complex was reconstructed in 2008, and later a park was laid out around it.
Get to Cape Fiolent by buses 3, 19, 72.
“Bayonet and Sail
Officially, the monument is called “Obelisk to the Hero-City of Sevastopol”. A tribute to the military glory of the port. However, it is better known as “Bayonet and Sail”. Located obelisk on the embankment of Admiral Pereleshin. Go by bus №109 or trolleybuses №3, 7 and 9 (Lazarev Square).
Where to go in Sevastopol tourist interesting places
Rest in Sevastopol – it is not only visiting monuments and historical sites. Here are a lot of entertainment venues, where the whole family will want to go.
Dolphinarium “Dolphin Country”.
It is located in Artbukhta. Dolphins, seals and beluga whales take part in the sea show. The program lasts about an hour. After the performance with the animals are allowed to be photographed. In the beginning, a magician acts in front of the young audience. There is a paid service – swimming with dolphins.
The dolphinarium is located on the Kornilov Embankment, 2. The performances are held at 12.00, 15.00 and 18.00. To get there you can take a bus (routs 5, 12, 16, 22, 30, 77, 92, 94, 109) or a trolleybus (1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 10, 10k, 12) to the stops “Lazarev Square” or “Nakhimov Square”.
It is one of the youngest zoos in Crimea. In spite of that it has a wide collection of fauna representatives. Visitors can see predators, ungulates, rodents, primates, birds and reptiles. The artificial reservoir is home to Koi carps. The number of inhabitants is constantly increasing.
The zoo is located on Biryuleva street, 34. Working time: 9.00 – 19.00. Public transportation: bus route 109, trolleybuses 9, 20, stop “Kolya Pischenko Street.
Zurbagan Water Park
This is a popular place for rest, which is loved by locals and guests of the city. Visitors can have fun on water slides Multislide, Black Hole, Body Slide, Freefall, Kamikaze, combined in one complex. Separately there is an extreme slide “Wave”. Those who like calm rest can spend time in the pools.
The water park is located at 9, Parkovaya Street. Working time: 10.00 – 18.00. To get there take buses 112, 109, 107, 4, 16, 33, trolleybuses 4, 14, 10, “Victory Park.
In the 1980s, an ordinary Sevastopol park was transformed into a place for family recreation. In addition to traditional rides and cafes there are several unusual museums.
In the Museum of History of Ice Cream you will learn the secrets of the delicacy and will be given to try it. The Museum of Marmalade will not only tell you about the different types of this favorite sweet, but also invite you to try it. The Indian Museum will tell you all about cocoa and chocolate. There is also the Soviet Childhood Museum, the “Space Calls!” exhibit, and the dinosaur exhibit.
The park is located at Tarutinskaya Street, 38. Open from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. Public transportation: trolleybuses №9, 20, buses №20, 109, “Kolya Pischenko Street”.
The shopping and entertainment center “Musson
The biggest shopping mall in the city. In addition to numerous stores there is a cinema, an ice rink, a bowling alley, a sports complex and a center for children “Monsoon” with basketball, air hockey, children’s sport attractions, carousels, rocking horses, mini-train. The center also has lasermax, billiards and golf.
The center is open daily from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. “Monsoon”, which is one of the top places worthy of attention, is located in Kamyshovaya Bay at Vakulenchuk, 29/10.
Public transportation: Routes №3, 4, 5, 10, 10a, 14, 16, 19, 30, 44, 76, 77, 83, 84, 95, 102, 105, 107, 109, 110, 112, 195, the stop “Menshikov Street”.
Year of foundation – 1897, for a long time the object was the only one of its kind on the territory of the Russian Empire. The exposition presents the flora and fauna of coral reefs, tropical and Black Sea fish, reptiles and amphibians, the dangerous inhabitants of the sea depths – electric eels, stingrays, pelagic sharks, fugu fish. This is an amazing place, where it is best to go as a family.
The museum is open 24 hours a day (10:00 – 19:00), the address is Nakhimov avenue, 2. Public transportation: number 12, 17, 117, 5, 12, 13, “Nakhimov Square.
Museum of the Black Sea Navy
Refers to places worth visiting. The museum has existed since 1869. It is located in a mansion of historical significance. The facade is decorated with columns, bas-reliefs, cannons and anchors. The exhibition consists of over 30 thousand items and is dedicated to the history of the Black Sea Fleet.
Among the exhibits there are cold steel arms and firearms, a collection of military decorations, things that belonged to V. Kornilov, P. Lazarev, and paintings by marine painter I. Aivazovsky and battle painter F. Rubo.
The museum is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. On other days it is open from 10:00 to 17:00. The address is Lenin Street, 11. Take buses 1, 5, 16, 22, 30, 63, 77, 92 and 109 or trolleybuses 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 10 and 12 to the bus stop House of Fleet Officers.
Sevastopol Art Museum
It has been there since 1925 and is located in a merchant’s mansion from the 19th century. On display are works of painting, sculpture, graphics, decorative and applied art. Among them are the paintings of famous European artists L. Giordano, H. Robert, F. Snyders and D. Teneris. Russian art school is represented by works of I. Aivazovsky, K. Korovin, I. Levitan, V. Makovsky, I. Repin. Especially valuable is collection of German porcelain and European bronze sculpture.
Working day off is Tuesday. On other days the working hours are 11:00 – 18:00. The museum is located on the Nakhimov Avenue, 9. To get there take bus №109, trolleybuses №3, 7, 9, stop Lazarev Square.
The 35th coastal battery
The fortification construction from 1912 was of great importance for the town’s defense during the Great Patriotic War. After the war, the battery was never rebuilt. In 2007, a museum and memorial complex was opened. Now it is one of the main monuments of the city that is worth visiting.
The complex is located on the alley of the defenders of the 35th battery, 7. Working hours: 9 am – 6 pm, all days except Monday and Tuesday. Bus routes 77, 102, 105, 195 (“35th Battery”).
The fortification, one of the many historical sites in the city, was built on the eve of the Crimean War in 1846. It was named in honor of the son of Emperor Nicholas I, Grand Duke Mikhail Nikolayevich. The battery had survived the Crimean and the Great Patriotic War. The Museum of Fortifications of the city was created here with private funds. It can be found in the street Gromova, 35/1.
Working hours: 09:30 – 16:30, weekends – Monday and Tuesday. Go by trolleybuses № 1, 3, 7, 9, 22, shuttle buses, buses №109, 133, 4, 31, 71, 110, 112, “Lazarev Square.
Panorama “Defense of Sevastopol
The panorama, created by the painter F. Rubo, belongs to the list of places you have to visit. It was unveiled in 1905 on a hill half a century after the defenders of Bastion IV had resisted the attacks of Anglo-French troops here.
The painting, which is 14 meters wide and 115 meters long, depicts an episode of the defense of Sevastopol June 6, 1855.
Panorama is visited on Wednesdays and Fridays from 10:00 to 20:00 and other days of the week from 10:00 to 18:00.
The attraction is located at Istoricheskiy boulevard, 1. Public transportation: buses 12, 17, 20, trolleybuses 16, 109 (Ushakov Square).
Diorama “Assault on Sapun Mountain
One of the popular places tourists come to. The attraction is dedicated to the events of the Great Patriotic War. A huge painting with an area of 83 m² and an object plan in front of it with the addition of light effects is a reconstruction of the battle on Sapun Mountain.
Opening hours: daily, 10:00 – 18:00.
Address: Sevastopol, 2nd Defense Street. By bus №107, by bus № 1, stop “Sapun Mountain”.
Balaklava underground museum complex
It used to be a secret facility where military submarines were serviced. From the sight’s entrance, located at the foot of Mount Tavros in Balaklava Bay, the road leads to the underground caves and tunnels of the repair plant. The museum is dedicated to the history of the Black Sea submarine fleet during World War II. There is definitely something to see here. There are warships, submarines, samples of machinery and weapons in the exposition.
The museum is located on the Tavricheskaya embankment, 22. It is open from 9:00 to 17:00 (until 16:00 in winter). Weekend days are Monday and Tuesday. Public transportation from the bus stop “Fifth kilometer of Balaklava highway” (go by buses 17, 20, 26, trolleybuses 17, 20). Bus lines 9, 94 and 99 go to the Obolon bus stop and it will take about 15 minutes on foot.
Local history museum named after E. N. Owen
It was founded in 1968 by the Sevastopol schoolchildren. The first exhibition told about the Crimean landscapes. Since then the museum has been constantly adding new exhibits, which are still being collected by the schoolchildren.
Here you can learn about the Crimean steppes, the near-water landscape, karst caves, inanimate nature, the Black Sea, mountains, and local fauna.
The museum is located at 5 Mykola Muzyka Street. It is open all days (9 a.m. to 5 p.m.), except Saturdays and Sundays. Go by bus №20, bus routes 12, 25, 26, 120, Mykola Muzyki street.
Tourists who are wondering where to go in the evening can choose one of the local theaters.