23 best sights of Lublin – descriptions and photos.

Lublin

The most detailed information about Lublin (Poland) with pictures. The main attractions of Lublin with descriptions, travel guides and maps.

Lublin is an ancient city in Poland, the administrative center of Lublin province. The city lies in the northern part of the Lublin Upland, divided into two parts by the river Bystrzyce. Lublin is the largest city in Eastern Poland.

Information about the city

  1. Population – over 339,000 people.
  2. Area – 147,5 km².
  3. Time – UTC+1, in summer UTC+2.
  4. Language: Polish.
  5. Currency is Polish zloty.

History

The first settlement on the site of Lublin appeared as early as the 6th century. In the 10th century the settlement received wooden fortifications, which were later upgraded to stone ones. In the 13th century Lublin was ruined first by Mongol Tatars, then by Lithuanians. In the second half of the 15th century Casimir Jagellon made the city the capital of the newly formed Lublin province. At that time the city began to flourish, largely thanks to the trade route from the Black Sea to Western Europe.

Streets of Lublin.

Lublin streets

In the early 18th century Lublin was given privileges equal to Krakow. In 1815, Lublin became part of the Kingdom (Kingdom) of Poland in the Russian Empire. During World War II, the city was occupied by German troops. Lublin was liberated by the Red Army in July 1944.

Historic center of Lublin

The historical center of Lublin

Modern Lublin is a dynamically developing city, a major economic, educational, and cultural center of Eastern Poland.

Lublin Panorama

Lublin’s panorama

Lublin sights

Lublin’s attractions are concentrated in the historic center, in the Old Town. It is the oldest part of Lublin listed as a historical monument.

Old Town

Old Town

The Short Square is Lublin’s central square that connects the Old Town to the surrounding streets. The square was built in 1611. The main attraction of the square is Krakow Gate.

Krakow Gate in Lublin

Krakow Gate in Lublin

Krakow Gate (Brama Krakowska) is the symbol of Lublin, the ancient 14th century gate leading to the Old Town. The gate is the remains of fortress walls of XIV century, built in the Gothic style, in XVIII century received Baroque features.

Trinitarian Tower

Trinitarian Tower

Trinitarian Tower – neo-Gothic bell tower. It is the tallest building in the historic center. From the observation deck at a height of 40 meters a vast panorama of the city opens up. The tower was named after the Order of Trinitarians. Now there is a museum.

Gothic Tower

Gothic Tower

Gothic Tower (Baszta Gotycka) – the tower was restored in the 1980s. Along with fragments of defensive walls it is a testimony of the powerful Gothic fortifications of the Old City. The construction of the tower dates back to 1341.

Lublin Castle

Lublin Castle

Lublin Castle (Zamek w Lublinie) is a palace complex, which previously performed a defensive function. The castle was built on a hill by King Casimir the Great in the first half of the 16th century.

Lublin Castle

Lublin Castle

Nowadays inside the castle there is Lublin Castle Museum, which consists of: Gothic tower-donjon (XIII century), Gothic chapel of the Holy Trinity (XIII century), the ruins of the so-called Jewish Tower, which remained from the royal castle of XIV-XVIII centuries, and neo-gothic building of the former prison.

READ
The 20 Best Sights of Girona - Description and Photos

Old Church Square

Old Church Square

Old Church Square (Plac Po Farze) is an ancient square in the Old Town. In the square in the 20th century as a result of archaeological excavations the remains of the ancient Church of St. Michael were discovered.

Basilica of the Dominican Fathers

Basilica of the Dominican Fathers

Basilica of the Dominican Fathers (Bazylika Ojców Dominikanów) is one of the oldest churches in Lublin. Together with the monastery is one of the oldest institutions of the city (750 years).

Lublin on the map

Interesting tours

Warsaw Ghetto Tour

€80 per excursion

Warsaw ghetto guided tour

Learn about the most tragic period of Jewish Warsaw’s history

WrocLOVE: get to know and fall in love

€65 per tour

WrocLOVE: get to know and fall in love

A soulful tour of the historic center, hidden corners and useful tips

Where history was made: the sights of Lublin

Poland

History was once made in Lublin. In the Middle Ages, it was a major center of trade with Russia and an important fortress under which the Mongols were defeated, putting an end to their raids on Central Europe. Then it was the birthplace of the most powerful Renaissance empire, the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.

Now the city has simpler functions. Students from Ukraine, Belarus and Russia come here to study. And the proximity to the borders of the two countries and low prices on low-cost low-cost flights make it an attractive place for budget travel to Europe. It is interesting not only as a transit point, but also for some architectural monuments.

What to see on Market Square?

A Polish city without the Market Square is like a village without a church. There is a church in Lublin – in the middle of Old Town. Its dimensions are not large. The center of the square is the Crown Court, and the sides are the mansions of XVI-XVIII centuries, in the style of Lublin Renaissance. Surrounded by them, you feel like a time traveler caught up in medieval Europe.

The history of the local buildings is quite curious. In the 16th century, almost the entire old town was destroyed by fire. According to legend, the culprit was a cook who fell asleep at the stove while baking pancakes. The townspeople swore on the ashes to restore the city and make it even more beautiful. Thus was born the unique Lublin Baroque.

The most interesting objects:

  • Crown Tribunal.
  • The Lublin underground track.
  • The cellar under the Fortuna.
  • Konopnik’s house.
  • Fish Gate.

The first floors of the buildings are entirely given for the catering establishments. If you want to have a snack or a glass of beer or something stronger, there is no better place to be. The choice is very large.

Synopsis. Start your sightseeing tour of the city at Market Square. It is located in the heart of Old Town. The main attractions are within walking distance of it.

Address: Rynek 12-13, 20-111.

Here are photos and descriptions of interesting objects on the Market Square.

Crown Hall

The first city hall was made of wood. Such a building was just destined to burn in one of the fires that often engulfed medieval Lublin. And so it happened eventually, after which in 1389 a Gothic brick building was erected. The municipality had its meetings there for two centuries, until in 1578 it was moved to the New Town Hall.

READ
Top 20 Sightseeing Sights of Podolsk - Description and Photos

The Crown Court was opened in the vacant place. It was the place where noblemen, merchants and clergymen settled legal disputes. Now the Registry Office is situated there.

At the end of the 18th century, after another fire, the court was rebuilt and the facade was decorated in the baroque style. The works were supervised by the court architect of King Stanislaus August. It has survived in this form until today.

Address: Rynek 1, 20-112.

Underground Route

Warning. In the former dungeons of the Crown Court begins a 300-meter underground route, which was created from the extensive and intricate system of cellars of the old city. It ends at the Old Church Square.

The route is not boring. It passes through 14 exhibition halls, where models of medieval Lublin, former merchants’ warehouses and a multimedia theater dedicated to the Great Fire of 1719 are presented.

  • Opening hours: Mon. Fri. 10-15; Sat. 10-16.
  • Cost of admission: 10 PLN.

Cellar under Fortuna

In the basement of house number 8 on Market Square there is a multimedia museum. Its exhibits recall the history of Lublin from the Middle Ages to the first half of the 19th century:

  • the city center and the outskirts;
  • the interiors of houses and the life of citizens from the 16th to 18th century;
  • spiritual life of the city. Divided into three thematic zones – Catholic, Orthodox, and Jewish faith;
  • court system and underground prisons;
  • Lublin streets;
  • industrial development of the 19th century;
  • a hall with frescoes.

Important: The last exhibition is of great interest, as it presents examples of secular Renaissance paintings, one of the few surviving in Poland.

  • Opening hours: from 12:00 to 16:00.
  • Cost of admission: 10 PLN.
  • Address: Rynek 8, 20-111.

Konopnik House

One of the most expressive mansions on the square is the blue 17th century Baroque beauty whose appearance immediately catches the eye. The first thing that catches your eye is the bright and pleasant color of the facade, which contrasts with the white stucco. Looking more closely one can see the bas-reliefs with entertaining subjects. The roof is decorated with a crown-shaped attic.

Address: Rynek 12, 20-400.

Fish Gate

The gate between the Market Square and Fish Street. It owes its appearance to the outgoing landlord John Kretek, who in the 15th century wanted to expand his living space. He added a wooden arch to the neighboring building, and built a small house on top of it. In 1861 it became so dilapidated that it could have collapsed on the citizens’ heads at any moment, so it was demolished.

Synopsis. Now in its place stands a copy, recreated after World War II from the illustrations of a French traveler.

The building does not have much architectural value, but the archway offers a beautiful view of the crooked fish street. For this reason, the gate is loved by photographers and Instagrammers.

READ
The 15 best sights of Benidorm - description and photos

Address: Rybna 1, 20-400 Lublin, Poland.

Old Church Square

When you’re done exploring the market, walk down Grodzenska Street to Lublin Castle. In the middle of the route you will see a square with strange-looking stone barriers. These are the foundations of the Church of St. Michael the Archangel, which was torn down in the 19th century.

Address: Grodzka 18, 20-400.

See a photo of the place:

The main city gate

The Grodzka Street ends with the 14th century gate. Behind it there was a moat and drawbridge, washed away by the flood of 1580. After the flood, the building lost its defensive function, and was rebuilt by a personal architect of the Polish king into a house.

What’s more, the gate separated the old town from the Jewish quarter and was therefore called the “Jewish gate. Today there is a museum dedicated to the Jewish Quarter, which was destroyed by the Nazis in the Holocaust.

  • Opening hours: Mon. Fri. 9:30, 11:00, 12:30, 14:00.
  • Cost to visit: 5 PLN.
  • Address: Grodzka 21, 20-112.

Below is a photo of the place:

Lublin Castle

Behind the Main Gate begins Castle Street. It leads to the Lublin Castle. Its first wooden version was built by Prince Casimir the Great in the 12th century, and a century later Polish King Casimir the Great built a stone fortress in its place, which he turned into his residence. His sons and grandsons lived there.

By the 15th century the castle had become the most visited residence in Poland, as it was located on the “Royal Road” from Krakow to Vilnius. Kings and courtiers used it to travel to Lithuania. It was also where the legendary Polish-Lithuanian (Lublin) Union was signed.

Warning! In order for the residence to live up to its high monarchical status, in 1520 Italian architects rebuilt it in Baroque style. Later it was destroyed during the Great Northern War with the Swedes.

The building acquired its Neo-Gothic features in 1826, when the castle was restored and opened as a prison for high-ranking prisoners. At present the city museum is situated here.

The museum keeps a table with a handprint burned into it. Legend has it that the devil left it on the table of the judge of the Crown Court, who tricked a widowed woman into taking all her possessions. Satan was so outraged by the injustice that he personally appeared to the offender and slammed it on his desk in anger, ordering the return of the stolen goods.

The most interesting objects on the grounds:

  • Donjon.
  • Chapel of the Holy Trinity.

These are the only structures that have survived from the fortress of the XIII-XIV centuries.

  • Opening hours: from 9:00 to 19:00.
  • Visiting costs: 15 PLN.
  • Address: Zamkowa 9, 20-400.

Below you will find a description and photos of interesting objects in this place.

Donjon

A 20-meter defense tower in the Romanesque style built in the 13th century over the north wing of the castle. On its top there is an observation deck with a view of the old city.

Cost to visit: 9 zl.

READ
The 15 best sights of Belek - descriptions and photos

Chapel of the Holy Trinity

Gothic chapel built by king Wladyslaw Jagiełłło. It is unique in its kind, because it is decorated not with Latin, but with Byzantine frescoes typical of Orthodox churches.

They appeared as a tribute to the mother, who was originally from Tver.

Visiting costs: 15 PLN.

Dominican Monastery

After seeing the castle, go back to the Square and from there walk along Zolotaya Street to the Dominican Monastery. It was founded in 1342 as a group of Gothic buildings. After a fire, they were rebuilt and decorated in the luxurious Baroque style. By the way, here you can look at a huge painting “The Lublin Fire of 1719”.

Attention! Even if you do not like churches, it is still worthwhile to walk here. If only for the observation point on the top of the hill in the northern wing of the monastery.

  • Working time: Mon. Mon-Fri from 6:30 to 20:00.
  • Address: Złota 9, 20-112.

Trinitarian Tower

At the lookout point in front of the Dominican Monastery, take Jesuit Street through the archway in the house.

Follow it to the Trinitarian Tower, the former city gate above which in 1819 a 60 m high tower in Italian Renaissance style was built. At its top there is an observation deck with a view of the market square. Going up the spiral staircase you can see pictures and sculptures of religious art.

  • Opening time: Tues. Fri. 10-17.
  • Cost to visit: 7 PLN.
  • Address: Królewska 10, 20-109.

Below is a photo of this place:

The remains of the old walls.

You can get there through the courtyards of 7 Jesuit Street or 6 Korolevska Street.

Address: Królewska 8, 20-400.

The Cathedral of St. John the Baptist and St. John the Evangelist

Important: Right behind the Trinitarian Tower is one of Poland’s first Baroque cathedrals, built at the beginning of the 17th century.

It was designed by an Italian architect, inspired by the Jesu church in Rome, and painted by the court painter of King Augustus III. Stop by for a moment to admire the sumptuous decorations and gilded altars.

  • Working hours: 6:30 to 20:00.
  • Address: Królewska 10, 20-109.

See a photo of the cathedral:

Krakow Tower

Next, return to Jesuit Street or walk parallel to it along Korolevska Street west to Krakow Gate. The tower was built in 1341 after a battle with the Tatar army. In the 17th century it was rebuilt into a baroque fire tower.

Address: Łokietka 3, 20-109.

Below is a photo of the place:

The New Town Hall and the Krakow suburb

Warning! On the square in front of the Krakow gate there is the New Town Hall – a building of the beginning of the XIX century in the style of classicism.

Beyond it begins the pedestrian boulevard Krakowskie Przedmiescie Street, built with burghers’ houses in the style of Lublin baroque and classicism. In the 17th-19th c. the wealthiest townspeople lived there.

Along the street you can go to several places of interest:

  • Litovskaya Square. It is a public space with a public garden and a light and music fountain. The square is adjoined on the north by an architectural ensemble of several noteworthy noblemen’s palaces.
  • Czartoryski Palace. Eighteenth-century baroque mansion of medium size.
  • Lubomirski Palace. A long 17 c. After several reconstructions the palace combines baroque and neoclassicism style. Here on November 7, 1919 was proclaimed the Polish People’s Republic.
  • The Schwetoduski Estate. Neoclassical mansion of the 19th century.
READ
The ancient civilization of the Mayan people

The Kraków suburb ends with the Saxon Park. It was laid out in 1837 by engineer Feliks Biczunski. At that time the park was fenced and only high-ranking citizens were allowed in. This fundamentally displeased the ordinary local residents, who constantly protested against the injustice. However, the park only became accessible in the early 20th century.

Below is a photo of the place:

Cemetery on Lipowa Street

Synopsis. From Saxon Park on Arthur Grotger Street you can walk to the old city cemetery of the late 19th century.

Its territory planted with linden trees (that’s where the name comes from) and filled with neat rows of tombstones, sculptures and crypts is divided into several zones:

  • Catholic;
  • Orthodox;
  • Protestant;
  • Jewish;
  • military.

Despite the mournful specifics, it is a beautiful and peaceful place where you can learn about Polish burial traditions and just take beautiful pictures.

The address is Lipowa 16, 20-024.

See a photo of the place:

Bernardine Church and St. Paul’s Monastery

Take a look at the Bernardine Church on your way from Saxon Park or the cemetery to the center, a Gothic and Baroque building from the 15th century that resembles a fortress.

At one time it was a fortress, because the Bernardinians were a rich order, and their church was located outside the city walls. To protect it they turned the building into a fortress.

The address is Bernardyńska 5, 20-109.

There is a photo of the place:

Museum House of Words

Not far from the Church of St. John the Baptist and the Theologian there is an extremely interesting museum of printing. Here you can see ancient printing equipment:

  • The analogues of the monk scribes on which the books of the Middle Ages were made;
  • manual and industrial presses of the XVII-XIX centuries;
  • Sets of fonts and dies.
  • Opening hours: Mon. Fri. 10-16.
  • Cost to visit: 7 PLN.

Below you can see a photo of this place:

State Museum in Majdanek

Majdanek is one of the largest Nazi death camps. 150,000 people passed through it, of whom 80,000 were killed. During the retreat from Lublin in 1944, the Germans did not have time to blow it up, so the camp with all its gruesome buildings: barracks, torture chambers, gas chambers and crematoriums have survived.

Synopsis. In 1965 a museum was opened in their place, dedicated to the victims of Nazi crimes and the Holocaust. Some of the exhibits are a heartbreaking spectacle.

  • Opening hours: from 9:00 to 18:00.
  • Cost of admission: free of charge.
  • Address: Droga Męczenników Majdanka 67, 20-325.

See photos of the museum:

Lublin Open Air Village

An open-air museum with a reproduction of an 18th- and 19th-century Lublin village on 30 hectares. The houses are furnished with furniture and household items from those years, and the courtyards contain live cattle. There are:

Rating
( No ratings yet )
Like this post? Please share to your friends:
bucketlisttc.com
Leave a Reply

;-) :| :x :twisted: :smile: :shock: :sad: :roll: :razz: :oops: :o :mrgreen: :lol: :idea: :grin: :evil: :cry: :cool: :arrow: :???: :?: :!: