30 main places of interest in Zaraisk
An ancient small town in the east of the Moscow region. During its history of several hundred years, many architectural and cultural monuments have appeared in the city. The main attraction of the city is considered to be the ancient Kremlin of Zaraisk. On its territory are preserved ancient churches, and there is a museum with unique exhibits that are known throughout the world.
Zaraai residents keep the memory of their valiant countrymen heroes. The memorial complexes tell about their military exploits from the XVII century. There are museums devoted to famous residents of the city – Dostoevsky, Golubkina, Bakhrushin. The architectural style of the city is largely determined by churches – almost anywhere in the city there are golden-headed solemn religious buildings. Near the city there are natural sites – waterfalls and a holy spring.
The most interesting and beautiful places in Zaraisk
List, photos with names and descriptions of the best sights of the city.
Built in the 16th century to defend against attacks by the Golden Horde. It is the only Kremlin near Moscow that has remained virtually intact. The total length of the walls of the Zaraisk Kremlin is 650 meters, they are interspersed with seven towers and gates on each side. Nowadays there is a museum with 4 main expositions – historical, architectural, artistic and archaeological.
Cathedral of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker
This Orthodox church was built in 1681 on the site of a wooden church of the XIII century. It is considered the main temple of Zaraisk. It is located in the city kremlin. It is a monument of architecture. The sacred part of the temple is the icon of St. Nicholas, which in 1224 was brought to Ryazan from the city of Korsun. The icon is made in the ancient Byzantine style and decorated with a large number of precious stones.
Cathedral of St. John the Baptist
Built in the early twentieth century on the territory of Zaraisky Kremlin. During the Soviet regime the outer appearance of the temple suffered a lot, the bell tower was blown up. At the end of XX century built a new wooden bell tower with 10 bells and recreated the image of St. Nicholas of Zaraisk. The cathedral was built in the style of classicism with its inherent solemnity of architecture, its decoration has elements of Renaissance. The temple can accommodate about 1000 people.
The necropolis of Prince Fyodor and Princess Eupraxia and their son
The necropolis was built to commemorate the tragic story of Prince Feodor of Ryazan and his family. The prince refused to submit to the troops of Batyi Khan and was killed. Having learned about the death of her husband, the princess Eupraxia and her young son threw themselves out of the window to escape Batyi. In 1238 stone crosses were put at the tomb of the princely family, and now the tomb is covered with a tent on four columns. In early August, a memorial service is held in memory of them.
It is considered to be an archaeological monument of world importance. During excavations at the walls of the Kremlin unique traces of highly organized culture of primitive people of the Paleolithic period are found. In one of the halls of Zaraisky Kremlin museum original figurines of mammoth bones and tusks, remains of Ice Age animals – woolly rhinoceros and mammoth, tools of labor and hunting, which are several thousand years old, are exhibited.
Museum “Zaraisky Kremlin”.
Established in 1918, since 2014 it is located in the restored premises of the Court House, a former religious school. The museum has more than 200,000 exhibits, the most valuable are collections of portraits of the XVIII-XIX centuries, a collection of porcelain of the XVIII-XIX centuries, objects of Western European art of the XVII-XX centuries and a collection of archaeological exhibits of the Zaraisk site. There are excursions for visitors.
They were built in the 18th century in the times of trade development. Till the revolution in 1917 there were regular fairs gathering buyers and merchants from nearby lands. Nowadays it is one of the main attractions of the city. They are rectangular brick buildings painted in white. There are stores in some of the buildings, and a market with vendors-private vendors is located nearby.
Life-giving Trinity Church
Is a monument of architecture. The stone church was built in XVIII-XIX centuries on the place of the burnt wooden church. The church and its tall bell tower were built in Baroque style, the refectory was built somewhat later in Classicism style and joined the two chapels of the church. Many consider the Life-Giving Trinity Church to be architecturally the most interesting religious building in the city.
Eternal Flame” memorial
Memorial to the soldiers who died during World War II is set in the center of the city, near the malls. It is a granite column with a statue of unknown soldier with a rifle. The monument was established in 1967. The author of the project is the architect A. A. Gaiko, the sculptor – V. P. Danilov. On memorable dates at the memorial conducts activities and laying flowers.
House-museum of AS Golubkina
Memorial House of Sculptor Anna Golubkina, who was born in Zaraisk, opened in 1974. The museum is located in the house where the Golubkin family lived. The memorial and sculpture expositions display both the originals of her works and copies of the works placed in the Russian Museum in St. Petersburg. On the second floor of the museum the personal belongings of Golubkin family are exposed in the interiors corresponding to that epoch.
Manor House Darovoye
The Dostoevsky estate, 15 km from Zaraisk, where the famous writer Fyodor Mikhailovich spent his childhood. It consists of an outhouse, old peasant houses, a cemetery, a natural area and a pond. Most of the buildings were destroyed by fire in 1832. In the surviving building there are temporary exhibitions. The estate is a part of the Zaraisky Kremlin complex. The oaks on the territory of the grove have been growing since the times when the Dostoevskys lived here.
Sacred spring “White Well”
Located on the outskirts of the city in its northwestern part. Near the source flows the river Sturgeon. According to a legend the source was scored on the day of the transfer of the icon of Nicholas the Wonderworker from the town of Korsun in Zaraisk in 1225. Moscow tsars including Ivan the Terrible came for ablutions to the holy spring. The area around the source is landscaped. There is a comfortable font, benches, changing rooms and a church bench.
Built in 1916, reconstructed in 2016. The tower was built to improve the city’s water supply, and now it is a city landmark. The height of the tower is 29 meters. Its location in the highest point of the city allows a view of the surrounding area within a radius of 30 km. The four-tiered tower is built of brick in the form of a donjon, and there is a small green square around it.
Monument to Dmitry Pozharsky
Installed in 2003. The monument was designed by Honored Artist Y.F. Ivanov and architect S.V. Kireev. The monument was erected to commemorate Pozharsky’s activities in Zaraisk as a voivode at the beginning of the 17th century. It was in Zaraisk that Pozharsky began to gather the people’s militia to liberate Moscow from the Polish-Lithuanian invaders. Creation of the monument is a tribute to all the defenders of the Fatherland, the saviors of Russia.
Monument to Marshal Meretskov
Installed on Victory Square in 1976. The monument-bust to the marshal and Soviet hero was designed by sculptor V.V.Glebov and architects G.V.Kryukov and I.G.Shumskaya. Kirill Meretskov was born in the village of Nazarevo, Zaraysk district. That is why they decided to immortalize the memory of his famous and heroic countryman in Zaraisk. The bust is made of granite and is located in the park among the greenery.
The wooden Elijah the Prophet Church was built in 1621, and in 1718 a stone church was erected on its place. It was badly damaged by a fire in 1860, but was fully restored. The temple is an impressive building in the style of classicism with a massive domed rotunda. There is a large refectory and a three-tiered bell tower. After being destroyed during the Soviet era, restoration work is still going on.
Alley of Heroes
Opened in 1967 on the square Uritsky. The alley is laid by the bust of twice Hero of the USSR N. Leonov. The pedestals depicting the residents of Zaraisk, who became the country’s heroes – K. Meretskov, A. Pchelkin, S. Novichkov, N. Vlasov, V. Khryaev, F. Kamenev, were set on it. The architect of the project is A.A. Gaiko. Two fountains, benches and beautiful street lamps are installed in the alley.
Dam on the river Otyor
Built in the middle of XX century and is located near the main entrance to the Zaraisky Kremlin. The waters of the river rush noisily through the dam, creating a small but powerful waterfall. The noise of the water attracts visitors because it can be heard even at the parking lot of tourist buses. Many fishermen gather at the dam, who talk about good catches of fish in this place. Currently, the dam is not used for power generation.
“Theater Museum in Zaraisk.”
One of the permanent exhibitions of the museum tells the history of the Bakhrushin family – patrons, benefactors and collectors. Ancestors of the founders of the Theatre Museum lived in Zaraisk for about 200 years. One of the main objectives of the art center and the theater and museum complex is the popularization of artistic values among the younger generation. The museum develops educational projects and supports creative associations.
The grave-mound of the soldiers who fell in battle in 1608
The monument in honor of the soldiers who died fighting the Polish invaders, is installed on Dzerzhinsky Street. Common grave to the soldiers in the form of a mound was founded with the money collected by Colonel Marin in 1880. In 1960, a granite obelisk with lines of gratitude carved on it was installed at the grave. Cast-iron cross, which crowned the mound in 1880 and later disappeared, was restored in 2008.
Church of the Annunciation
Built in 1614 near the mound, where were buried Arzamas soldiers who died in 1608. The building of the stone temple, which survived to this day, began to be built on the site of the old temple in 1777. The construction was finished in the XIX century. The temple with a granite altar is in provincial baroque style and a three-tiered bell tower adjacent to it is in the style of classicism. The revered relic of the temple is an ancient icon of Nicholas of Zaraisk.
Monument to Lenin
It is situated on the Soviet square surrounded by greenery. The monument was opened in 1964. The architect was E. Yakovlev, sculptor – V. Shishkov. It was made in a traditional manner for monuments of this type. The sculpture is located on a high pedestal with flower-beds planted around it. There are benches and alleys under the canopy of trees in the park.
Memorial to Heroes of the Russo-Turkish War
Located in the military registration and enlistment office on Marx street, but the memorial is freely accessible. On the brick wall are bas-reliefs with images of the heroes of the country, who were born and grew up in Zaraisk – General A. P. Mezeninov and Lieutenant General F. E. Keller. Information boards contain their biographies and stories of military action. The sculptor, who created the project of the memorial, is also a native of Zaraisk.
Memorial to the soldiers of the 140th Zaraisk Infantry Regiment
Opened in 1979. The author of the design of the memorial is an artist E. P. Shishkov. The memorial lines on the pedestal were authored by cultural worker V.I.Polyanchev. Concise and restrained composition symbolizes the honor, heroism, and valor shown by the soldiers of Zaraisk during the battles of the Russian-Turkish war. Metal, concrete, embossing, mosaic and local stone were used in the construction of the memorial.
Monument to participants in the Spanish Civil War in 1936 – 1939.
One of the special monuments of Zaraisk. It was established in memory of the soldiers who were among the first in the country to receive the title of Hero of the USSR – B.A. Turzhansky and P.A. Ghibelli. They were former cadets of Zaraisk school of military pilots. Memorial in their honor was established on Leninskaya Street in 1968. The monument is made of metal and concrete. The draft of the project was made by an architect A.A. Gaiko, the sculptor of the monument was V.I. Polyanchev.
The extant stone building of the temple was built in 1879 from donations by the Bakhrushin family, merchants and patrons of the arts. Earlier on this place there was an almshouse and a wooden church. The building of the temple was damaged during the Soviet regime and is currently undergoing restoration work. The temple is active and currently hosts services and missionary activity.
Monument-stela to Dimitar Blagoev
Dimitar Blagoev is known as an active propagator of Marxism in Russia and a founder of the Communist Party in Bulgaria. The monument to him was unveiled in 1969 on the Blagoev Street after the street was named after the famous public figure. The author of the project is V. I. Polyanchev. The monument and a stele are made of granite. The memorial is a rectangular stele with a bas-relief in the form of the face of Blagoev.
Monument to victims of local wars
The pedestal of the monument is made in an original form – in the form of steps on a mound leading to the base of the stele. On the monument are stamped the names of 9 soldiers-zaraiskis who died in the performance of military duty in local conflicts. On the granite slab – a bas-relief of Archangel Michael and the emblem of Russian Defense Ministry. The monument was designed by M. Sigayev and G. Polupanov. The architect is S. Ovcharenko. The monument was opened in 2009.
Waterfalls on Gremukha
An interesting natural object, located 20 km from Zaraisk, on the border with the Ryazan region in the village of Bolshie Belynichi. Two small waterfalls are located on the brook Gremukha, which flows into the river Sturgeon. The height of the cascading waterfalls is 1 and 2 meters. They are gladly visited not only by local residents, but also by visiting tourists. After all, the waterfalls are a wonderful addition to the beauty of the pristine nature surrounding them.
In 10 kilometers from Zaraisk there is a wonderful place – the farm “Sviatopolye”. Its main inhabitants are huskies. You can play and take pictures with them, and in winter you can go for a ride in a sledge pulled by these beautiful dogs. Other inhabitants of the farm are a red cat, geese, a goat and a reindeer. Horses gladly accept treats from visitors. A photo with a ravenous buzzard will be interesting.
There are 17 places of interest in Zaraisk worth seeing
Zaraisk is an ancient city in the southeast of Moscow region, the first mention of which dates back to the middle of the 12th century. Here are preserved medieval kremlin, many ancient churches and architectural monuments, as well as cozy streets with old buildings. The most interesting historical, cultural and natural attractions of Zaraisk are in our list.
The stone Kremlin in Zaraisk was built in 1528-1531. Small rectangular fortress (only about 600 meters by perimeter) has successfully withstood several attacks and was never captured. The Kremlin is almost completely preserved to this day and is now open to tourists.
Why to visit . Zaraisky Kremlin can be visited as part of an organized tour group or on your own. On the territory you can see:
- Nikolsky Cathedral, built in the XVII century;
- Attendance building of the XVIII century;
- The neoclassical St. John the Baptist Cathedral, built in 1901-1904.
Along the perimeter of the Kremlin there are fortress walls with gates, as well as seven defensive towers. This specimen of medieval architecture is a monument of federal importance.
Address: Zaraisk Kremlin, Revolution Square, Zaraisk, Moscow region, Russia.
Museum “Zaraisky Kremlin”.
Museum “Zaraisky Kremlin”.
In the building of the religious school on the territory of Zaraisk Kremlin is the main city museum, dedicated to history, culture and art. It was opened back in 1918, today the collection contains about 200 thousand exhibits.
Why visit . The museum’s permanent exhibition includes sections with rich collections of painting, sculpture, decorative and applied art. There is a large collection of portraits of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, as well as a valuable collection of Russian and foreign porcelain.
Museum’s pride is its archeological exposition: it displays implements and statuettes, found during excavation of ancient people’s settlement near the Kremlin. Visitors of the museum can order a regular excursion or an interactive game program for children.
Address: State Museum-Reserve “Zaraisk Kremlin”, Revolution Square, Zaraisk, Moscow region, Russia.
Dam on the river Sturgeon, Zaraisk, Moscow region, Russia.
In the historic center of the city, near the Kremlin, there are old trading rows. They were built in the late 18th century, when Zaraisk played an important role in trade. Merchants who traveled to Moscow and other regions along the Astrakhan road stopped at the Gostiny Dvor. In course of time the trading importance of the town decreased, there were fewer merchants, and in the 1920s Gostiny Dvor was partially demolished. In the late 1970s, the restoration was carried out.
Why visit . The complex of trading rows is a monument of architecture. The stone building with whitewashed walls is decorated with arched galleries, typical for Gostiny Dvor in the XVIII-XIX centuries. The complex is still partially used for trading: there are stationary stores and a market.
Address: Pervomayskaya street, 4, Zaraisk, Moscow region, Russia.
Dam on the river Otyor
Dam on the Osyotr River.
Zaraisk is built on the banks of the Osyotr River, which flows through the western part of the city. A dam was built on the site near the Kremlin in the 1970s and has become one of the local landmarks.
Why visit . The water flowing down from the dam forms a small, picturesque waterfall. There are also beautiful views of the city and the opposite shore. In good weather, you can climb higher to take panoramic photos. In the summer, locals often fish near the dam.
Address: Dam on the river Sturgeon, Zaraisk, Moscow region, Russia.
The shoe factory was opened in Zaraisk back in 1858. The company, which was owned by a German Augustus Reders, produced leather shoes. Its owner is also famous for the fact that he created a large garden with greenhouses in the city. During the Soviet times the park was destroyed and the factory was given to the state. At the same time, a shoe museum was founded, which is still in operation today.
Why visit . The museum, located on Leninskaya Street, has original exhibits from the Zarayskaya factory and other enterprises. On a tour you can learn about the history of shoe making, see equipment, samples and models of finished products. The museum has a separate interactive hall where visitors can immerse themselves in the process of shoe making.
Address: Leninskaya street, 16, Zaraisk, Moscow region, Russia.
Church of the Annunciation
Church of Annunciation.
Church of the Annunciation was built in Zaraisk in 1614 in memory of the victims of the battle with the troops of False Dmitry II. At first the temple was wooden, but at the end of XVIII century the construction was replaced by a new stone building. The Church of the Annunciation remained active even during the Soviet years, and it managed to preserve icons from other temples in the area.
Why visit . Today, the Church of the Annunciation remains active and is also a valuable architectural monument. The church is decorated in the provincial Baroque style, with a classical bell tower added to the main building in the 1820s. Inside the church there is an old iconostasis with many tiers, most of the icons of which were painted in the XVIII century.
Address: Church of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Komsomolskaya Street, Zaraisk, Moscow region, Russia.
Zaraisk is the birthplace of the famous Bakhrushin family of merchants, collectors and patrons of the arts. That’s why a branch of Moscow’s Bakhrushin Central Theater Museum was opened here in 2017. The new museum on Krasnoarmeiskaya Street quickly became a popular site for city residents and tourists.
Why visit . The museum’s permanent exhibition includes works by local artists. A separate section of the exhibition tells about the history of the Bakhrushin family. Temporary thematic exhibitions, charity festivals and other events are also organized here.
Address: Branch of the A. A. Bakhrushin Theatrical Museum. Bakhrushin Museum, Krasnoarmeiskaya Street, Zaraisk, Moscow region, Russia.
The water tower.
At the intersection of Krasnoarmeiskaya Street and Gulyaeva Street a tall brick structure resembling a West European donjon can be seen. It is a water tower, built in the early twentieth century to supply water to local residents. When a modern centralized water supply appeared in the city, the structure was no longer used for its intended purpose, but was preserved as an architectural landmark. The tower was restored in 2016.
Why visit . The tower is decorated with decorative “loopholes” – machicolations, as well as round windows and a brick crenellated belt. It can be viewed while strolling in the nearby public garden. The height of the structure is about 29 meters, on the upper tier there is an observation deck, which you can climb to admire the city and its surroundings. In the evening the tower is illuminated.
Address: Water Tower, Gulyaeva Street, Zaraisk, Moscow region, Russia.
The White Well.
White Well is the name of the source, located on the northwestern outskirts of Zaraisk. Historians believe that this place has been sacred since the pagan population. Christian legends connect it with finding an icon of Nicholas the Wonderworker in 1225. Now the spring is visited by both religious pilgrims and ordinary tourists.
Why to visit . To the White well leads stairs, there are bathing places and a small chapel. The area next to the source can be used as an observation deck: from here you can perfectly see the Zaraisky Kremlin and the historic center of the city.
Address: White Well Holy Spring, Moscow region, Russia.
Near the Church of the Annunciation there is a burial mound. Here at the beginning of XVII century were buried Russian soldiers who fell in battle with detachments of False Dmitry II. According to historians, more than three hundred members of the Ryazan and Arzamas militia died during the battle for the city.
Why visit . The memorial can be viewed when visiting the Church of the Annunciation. Nearby there are benches for resting. The grave-mound is included in the route of thematic excursions dedicated to the Time of Troubles – during such tours, the guide will tell about the eventful history of Zaraisk at the beginning of the 17th century.
Address: The grave-mound of the militia who fell in the battle for the liberation of Zaraisk in 1608, Dzerzhinsky street, Zaraisk, Moscow region, Russia.
House-museum of AS Golubkina
Golubkina House-Museum in Zaraisk.
A.S. Golubkina was born and worked in Zaraisk. She is the author of numerous sculptures which occupy a deserved place in the Russian Museum in St. Petersburg and other art collections. In the 1970s, a memorial museum was opened in the house on Dzerjinskogo street where the Golubkin family lived.
Why visit . The museum’s permanent exhibition is dedicated to the work of A.S. Golubkina: here you can see copies of her most famous sculptures, as well as several original compositions. On the second floor there are restored interiors of the late 19th – early 20th century. During the tour you will learn a lot of interesting information about the sculpture and biography of A.S. Golubkina.
Address: Sculptor A.S. Golubkina House, Dzerzhinskogo street, Zaraisk, Moscow region, Russia.
Elijah the Prophet Church
Church of Elijah the Prophet. | Photo: wikimedia.
The Church of Elijah the Prophet on Krasnoarmeiskaya Street was built in 1718. It replaced a wooden church that had stood there since the beginning of the 17th century. The stone church was able to survive several reconstructions and a major fire, closure and looting in the 1930s. During Soviet times a factory worked here and only in 1996 the building was returned to its original purpose.
Why visit . Although most of the original interior details were destroyed, the church has been restored and is now a working church. It is a monument of classical style architecture, its snow-white facades are decorated by a triangular portico with austere columns. The building is crowned with a big dome of deep blue color; the three-level bell tower has a roof of the same color.
Address: Church of Elijah the Prophet, Krasnoarmeiskaya Street, Zaraisk, Moscow region, Russia.
Equestrian Club “Angel”.
Equestrian Club “Angel”.
Equestrian club “Angel” was opened in Zaraisk in 2009. It is located in the northwestern part of the city, near the source of the White Well.
Why visit . In the equestrian club, citizens and tourists can learn to ride with an instructor and go for a ride on horseback. There are also themed show programs, excursions, master classes for children and adults. You can organize a photo shoot with horses or with other inhabitants of “Angel” – friendly raccoons.
Address: Uritskogo Square, 7, Zaraisk, Moscow region, Russia.
Carbonated Beverages Factory “Slavich”.
Carbonated beverages factory “Slavich”.
Since 2000 Zaraisk factory “Slavich” has been producing lemonades, ice tea, kvass and other refreshment drinks on the basis of local artesian water. Everyone can learn the secrets of making soda: organized guided tours of the production are offered.
Why visit . During the tour, guests are told in detail about how the drinks are made. You can look into the laboratory where the ingredients are prepared and mixed; see how the bottles are blown, and of course taste the finished products. After the tour, children are invited to participate in a quiz and get souvenirs.
Address: Leninskaya Street, 50, Zaraisk, Moscow region, Russia.
Museum estate of parents of Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoevsky.
Choosing what to see in Zaraisk, pay attention to the sights in its vicinity. There is a village Darovoye approximately 12 km from the city: in the XIX century it was the place of residence of the noble family of F.M. Dostoevsky. Here the future writer spent his childhood years.
Why visit . The territory of the estate is open to the public at any time. You can come here to take a walk and admire the nature: the pond, the grove, the gardens. There is also a monument to F.M. Dostoevsky and an outhouse with an exhibition with reconstructed interiors and a multimedia exposition about the writer’s work. There is a fee to visit the outhouse, you can order a guided tour.
Address: Darovoye, Zaraisky district, Moscow region, Russia.
In the village of Potlovo, about 7 km from Zaraisk, there is a zoo-center “Svyatopolye” with a contact farm. Here you can relax in the fresh air and communicate with the inhabitants – Husky dogs and other pets.
Why visit . The pet center offers visitors a variety of recreation formats. Guests of the farm can:
- book a tour;
- dog sledding (only in the winter season);
- feed goats, geese and other inhabitants;
- Go on a horse ride in the vicinity;
- take pictures with the animals.
The owners of “Svyatopol” are ready to tell visitors about each inhabitant of the farm. Before visiting, it is recommended to clarify the working hours.
Address: Svyatopolye, TFH Lesnoy, Zaraisky district, Moscow region, Russia.
Monument to the Luhovitsy cucumber.
A visit to Zaraisk can be combined with a trip to the town of Lukhovitsy, located about 25 km away. Here works a large aircraft plant, part of the corporation “MiG”.
Why visit . The route of the sightseeing tour of Lukhovitsy often includes a visit to the monuments: the letter carrier Pechkin (installed next to the local post office), Dr. Aibolit, Cucumber. You can also see an open park of military equipment: there is a MiG-23 fighter jet, a T-55 tank, an L-29 training aircraft, several mortars and other guns.
Not far from the city there is an interesting natural sight – the Blue Lake. This is a group of flooded sand pits with clear water. There are beaches and picturesque pine forests on the banks of the lake. Here you can stay with a tent, sunbathing and swimming.