Germany’s 30 Best Castles
Germany is a country with an ancient history and a rich architectural and cultural heritage. As a result of the medieval wars with the French and World War II many castles and fortresses in Germany were partially destroyed and rebuilt. Nowadays a huge number of attractions of German lands attracts tourists from all over the world.
Total in Germany is more than 25 thousand castles and fortresses. Unfortunately, most of them have reached our days only in ruins. We will tell you about the thirty most interesting castles with medieval interiors, which are in excellent condition and are open to the public.
The most beautiful castles in Germany
Old medieval castles, photos with names and descriptions!
This is the most beautiful castle in Bavaria and the most famous in Germany and the world. It is located near the town of Füssen. Construction lasted 17 years and ended in 1886 but the castle was left unfinished. Its halls are richly decorated with frescoes depicting mythological and religious scenes. Nowadays, concerts of Wagner, the composer revered by Ludwig II, are often held within the castle walls. The best way to photograph Neuschwanstein is from the Marienbrücke Bridge.
One of the few surviving castles of the Romanesque era. Located near the town of Eisenach in Thuringia. The mystical atmosphere of the castle was sensed by Adolf Hitler himself: in 1938, he held a meeting of astrologers here. The castle has an old well with a dragon and a room where Martin Luther was imprisoned. There are pigeons in the courtyard. The best views of the castle can be seen from the circular observation deck.
The castle is 50 km from Stuttgart in Baden-Württemberg on top of the mountain of the same name. It was built on the site of two ruined castles. In total there are 140 halls in Hohenzollern. In the halls are collected personal belongings of the Hohenzollern family and many artifacts of Prussian history. In the garden near the castle serves beer brewed according to ancient recipes. Fireworks nights are held on the castle grounds in August and falconry days in September.
Hunting castle 14 km from Dresden. In the 18th century the architect Pöppelmann linked several lakes around the castle. A narrow pathway connects the artificial island to the city. The interiors are frescoed with scenes from Roman mythology and the castle is furnished with original furniture from the 18th century. The territory is decorated with parks of different styles. A collection of weapons and hunting trophies are collected in the museum.
Castle, located in Baden-Wuerttemberg, was built in the XIV century and destroyed by French troops in the XVII. Rebuilt only a small part of the castle. Chapel of the XVIII century, which is located on the basement, is popular with honeymooners. In the basement of Heidelberg Castle there is the largest wine barrel in the world and a museum of apothecary art with exhibits of XIII-XX centuries.
The most powerful fortress in the history of Europe. It is located in Saxon Switzerland on the banks of the Elbe. During the Second World War, a collection of the Dresden Art Gallery was stored here. On the territory of the fortress collected military and historical exhibition. The casemates and cellars where prisoners have been held for centuries are open to the public. There are also preserved mysterious objects: a well of 152 meters deep, the Tower of Famine, a secret bunker of the GDR.
This Romanesque castle was built in the 12th century and is located in Rhineland-Palatinate. During its history, the castle has never been captured, including during the wars of the XVII-XVIII centuries. The latest buildings in the castle date back to the 17th century. The authentic medieval interiors decorated by the masters of the time have been preserved. In the basement there is a museum, where medieval jewelry and curiosities are exhibited.
Neo-Gothic castle located in Honau, Baden-Wurttemberg. It was built in the mid-19th century on the ruins of a medieval fortress. In the northern wing of the castle and now lives the duke and his family. In the open halls collections of weapons and armor are collected. The observation deck offers views of pastoral landscapes. Next to the castle there is a playground, a forest town and hiking tracks.
Built in the 15th century in the old Saxon town of Meissen. Until 1863 the castle produced the famous Meissen porcelain. In the exhibition halls one can see porcelain exhibits of the XVIII-XX centuries, authentic medieval furniture and articles of clothing, various curiosities and panels. The walls and vaults of the castle are painted scenes from Saxon legends. On the territory of Albrechtsburg in the summertime historical reconstructions are held.
Rebuilt in the 19th century, elements of the original building from the 12th century have been preserved. Founded by the Lotharingian Palatinate. The interiors are in medieval style. The dining hall, crossing over the castle gate, knight’s hall, balcony, armory as well as Gothic, Romanesque and hunting rooms are open to the public. In the courtyard are a chapel, a guest house, a well, and an ancient watchtower.
Built in 1845-1857 in Schwerin on Palatine Island. It is the seat of parliament of the state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. Throne room with marble columns and other rooms are available for viewing. The museum features porcelain and silver exhibits and a gallery of portraits of the Mecklenburg dynasty. On the grounds of Schwerin Castle there is an English-style park and a 16th-century church.
It is located in the Southern Bavaria. Built in XII century by Knights of Schwangau and reconstructed in XIX century by Ludwig II. In the decoration of the interiors the colors of purple and lilac dominate, the swan theme. The walls are decorated with frescos with Bavarian legends. Some rooms are in Turkish style. There are two Russian icons in Hohenschwangau and a maple piano, on which Wagner played. The castle has views of the Alpsee.
The castle is located in the Bavarian town of Aschaffenburg. Built in the early 17th century. The main tower is preserved from the XVI century fortress. The gallery of the Bavarian state assembly and the university library with the first printed books of Mainz are located in the castle. The interiors are made in the spirit of classicism. Three times a day 48 bronze bells chime in the castle church. Johannesburg has a view of the Main River and Schönbusch Park.
The fortress towers over the Bavarian town of Würzburg. The oldest buildings are over 1000 years old. Only once in the history was the fortress captured – by the Swedes in the XVII century. Nowadays 45 halls of Marienberg are allocated as a museum, where works of famous sculptors and artists are collected as well as a large ethnographic collection of Celtic times. In the princely house there is an exhibition devoted to the history of Würzburg.
Medieval Bavarian castle built in the forest of Spessart in the XV-XVI centuries, the buildings of the XIII century are preserved. Located on the lakeshore. It was not destroyed during the wars and has preserved its historic appearance. Served as a country residence, now lives in the south wing of the county family. The rooms in the north wing contain items and furniture that belonged to the family and were used for their intended purpose. Vases of fresh flowers are everywhere.
Castle in the town of the same name in Baden-Württemberg. Was first built in 1077, since then repeatedly demolished and rebuilt. There is a museum of carriages, baby carriages and sleighs of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen family on the territory of the castle. The Arms Museum displays artifacts from the 14th to 20th centuries, and the Museum of Ancient History displays artifacts of Roman civilization found on excavations near the castle during the reign of Prince Charles Anton.
The fortress consists of the imperial castle Kaiserburg and the Burgrave’s fortress. Built in the Middle Ages. Was partially destroyed during World War II, but now the historical appearance has been fully restored. On the territory of Kaiserburg many tourist attractions: a three-tier chapel, lookout tower with an old wooden spiral staircase, a lookout platform in the southern part of the fortress, dungeons, a well deep of 47 meters, a fortress museum, where the imperial crown is kept.
Located in the district of Leipzig in Saxony. It has been preserved since the 15th century with practically no external changes. In the 19th-20th centuries it functioned as a labor colony, almshouse, concentration camp, and otolaryngic clinic. In the castle there is a wooden ceiling of the XV century, the remains of the gilded leather wallpaper. One of the museums is devoted to concentration camp prisoners: among the exhibits are escape tools and works of art of former prisoners.
This castle complex, located on the border with Austria, is considered the longest in Europe – 1,043 meters. It was built in the early 16th century by George of Bavaria, and is fully preserved. In the Middle Ages the duke’s treasury was kept here. In the castle museum one can see furniture, weapons, paintings, tapestries and other interior items of the XV-XVI centuries. One of the rooms is a chapel from 1255.
The castle, located 30 kilometres from Chemnitz, was given its present form in the 15th century and has not been demolished. After the Second World War it was used as an apartment for the needy. All halls are stylized according to different epochs, the most interesting are the Knights’ Hall and the Gothic Hall. In the chapel there are still paintings from 1410. In warmer months, concerts of medieval and classical music, historical re-enactments and even rock concerts are held in Kribstein.
The castle in the Bavarian town of Landshut was built in the 13th century. It was not destroyed in the wars and has remained in its original form, but has been expanded several times. In the 18th and 19th centuries it served as a prison for noble prisoners, and then as a hospital. In the Knights’ Hall of the 13th century exhibitions and festivals are held, in the ballroom of the 16th century banquets, lectures and concerts are held. Classical music concerts are held on the 15th and 16th century terrace, which seats about a hundred people.
A customs castle on an island in the middle of the Rhine River in Rhineland-Palatinate. It was founded in 1326. Ceased to perform customs functions in 1876 and for seventy years was used as a lighthouse. Now you can see the medieval prison in the cellar, the rooms of the commandant and his family, the commandant’s toilet, artillery shells of the XVII-XVIII centuries. To Pfalzgrafenstein runs a ferry from the town of Kaub.
One of the oldest fortresses in Bavaria. Travelers and traders paid trade tax in the fortress. Defensive structures and fortifications survived from the XII-XIII centuries. In the halls of Harburg is a large collection of paintings, which for centuries collected the castle owners, as well as their hunting trophies and weapons. On the territory of the castle there is a well of 50 meters deep grain store. The twelfth-century Thieves’ Tower is open to the public.
One of the oldest fortresses of Germany in the land of Saxony-Anhalt. It rises above the ancient city of Quedlinburg, where 1600 houses of the XV century and older have been preserved. In the Middle Ages there was a monastery in the fortress. Now in the church of St. Servatius there is the richest treasury in Germany with relics of the IX century, a crest of Henry I, a handwritten gospel of the XVI century. Medieval handmade carpets are on display in the castle itself.
A Gothic castle from the 13th century towers over the town of Braubach in Rhineland-Palatinate. One of the few castles in the Rhine valley, which was not taken by the French in the XVII century. Part of the remains from before the reconstruction of the castle in the 14th century. The castle museum is made up of medieval living quarters: nursery, bedroom, study, main hall, chapel, kitchen with wine press from the 18th century and a Gothic wine cellar. In the armory there are ancient weapons and a torture chamber.
The castle is located in North Rhine-Westphalia. The oldest buildings date back to the 14th century. At the end of the 19th century, the dilapidated Zatzwei was restored by its owners, the Counts von Himnich, and historical jousting tournaments were held. The castle hosts events throughout the year: medieval plays, cooking shows and workshops, celebrations of St. Patrick’s Day, Halloween, Christmas and Easter, Christmas fairs.
The castle got its modern look in the second half of the 19th century, but many baroque buildings of the 17th century have been preserved on its territory. Until 1929 it was home to the Count’s family of Stolberg. Nowadays medieval interiors with antique furniture and musical instruments have been restored in the museum, and there is an organ-grinder at the entrance to the castle. The dungeons and observation tower are also open to the public. Rooms of the castle are rented out for events.
Built in the late 16th century. Located in Schleswig-Holstein, near the border with Denmark. After the death of King Frederick VII, the castle was used as the headquarters of the Prussian army and as a hospital. The castle has preserved the interiors created by the Dukes of Glucksburg in various centuries. The museum houses a rich collection of Flemish tapestries. Concerts and art exhibitions are held in the orangery of 1927 and wedding ceremonies are held in the chapel.
Neo-Gothic castle in Rhineland-Palatinate. It was built in the 19th century on the ruins of a castle destroyed in the Thirty Years’ War. In the knight’s hall a collection of historical weapons, armor and drinking vessels are displayed. The gate tower, the dwelling tower and the main tower are open for visitors, with preserved furniture from the 16th and 18th centuries. Filming is allowed only in the garden with arbors and a fountain. The terrace and windows of the Stolzenfels’ chambers offer views of the Rhine.
Dresden Castle Residence
The castle in the capital of Saxony was first built in the 13th century, rebuilt many times. It was partially destroyed during World War II and rebuilt during the Soviet years. Nowadays the castle houses a collection of jewelry masterpieces “Green Vaults”, the Numismatic Cabinet with the oldest collection of coins in Germany, 500,000 engravings and 110,000 other works in the Engraving Room. In the halls of the castle are held thematic seasonal exhibitions.