The 30 best sights of Vladivostok
For most Russians, the Primorsky Krai is almost as exotic as Korea or China. Because of the vast distances, Vladivostok seems so far away that it is easier to get to another country than to overcome these thousands of kilometers. The capital of Primorye is not quite a typical Russian city. It is a territory of the grandiose Pacific Ocean, incredibly beautiful bays, bridges, ships and fresh seafood.
In the city you can visit a real Chinese or Korean restaurant, not an imitation, as it usually happens, admire unusual shapes of Golden Horn from viewing platforms, wander on the hills of Russian Island, go to a modern oceanarium or prefer a fascinating boat trip to all of this. Whatever you choose to do, you’re assured of an unforgettable experience.
What to see and where to go in Vladivostok?
The most interesting and beautiful places for walks. Photos and a brief description.
Vladivostok’s two cable-braced bridges (the Golden and the Russian ones) are the true adornment of the city, hovering over the indented bay and giving it an inimitable and recognizable look. They claim to be the symbol of Primorsky Krai and an architectural masterpiece of the 21st century. The length of the Golden Bridge is about 1.4 km, the Russian – 1.1 km. The construction of pontoons was carried out in 2008-2012 in preparation for the APEC summit.
Located in the Peter the Great Gulf a few kilometers from Vladivostok, the island is part of the urban district. It has a rugged coastline with small bays hiding in it, and it is entirely covered with hills. Russky has a promenade, a dolphinarium and an oceanarium, but its main value is still the nature and stunning views of rocky shores and powerful ocean. In summer, this place is great for swimming.
Golden Horn Bay
A long and fairly narrow bay, on both sides of which there are city blocks and seaports. Over it throws the Golden Bridge. It’s quite a lively place, as ships (sometimes even submarines are shown!) moor to the shores here all the time, and ship repairers are constantly making noise. At night the bay is a spectacular sight, shining with thousands of lights.
Eagle’s Nest Sopka
This hill is about 200 meters tall and is Vladivostok’s highest point. On its top is a television tower, and there are residential areas around it. Part of the hill is covered with forest. The monument to Cyril and Methodius and the observation deck around it allow observing the panorama of Vladivostok and the Golden Horn Bay.
The embankment is located at the edge of the Zolotoy Rog Bay, and was built in 2012 on the next anniversary of the JSC Dalzavod Holding Company – the ship repairing enterprise that was opened by Tsesarevich Imperator Nicholas II, who was Tsesarevich at that time. The length of the alley is 600 meters, there are walking and park zones, several cafes and a playground. From here the boats depart on short tours around the bay.
“To the Fighters for the Soviet Power in the Far East”.
The monument of 1961 is a 30-meter high figure of a member of the People’s Revolutionary Army of the Far Eastern Republic, which fought for the establishment of Soviet power in the region. The statue stands on the high pedestal, on both sides of which there are two sculptural groups: the first one is dedicated to Tsar’s overthrowing, the second one to Vladivostok’s liberation from the Japanese invaders.
The Nicholas Triumphal Gates
Originally, the Nicholas Triumphal Gates were built in 1891 to commemorate the visit of the future emperor Nicholas II to the city. Cesarevitch visited Vladivostok on his round-the-world trip. The structure is an elegant and graceful arch made of brick and stone, executed in the Russian-Byzantine manner. At the top is an image of the patron saint of sailors, Nicholas the Wonderworker. The original gate was blown up in 1930 as a symbol of autocracy. The modern building was built in 2003.
This passenger station is a terminal point of the Trans-Siberian railway. The complex of buildings of the station was erected at the end of the XIX century by a project of P. Bazilevsky in neo-Russian style. During the XX century the building was several times rebuilt depriving it of imperial features and adding more soviet style: coats of arms were removed, folklore plots were painted over, facade color was changed. After the restoration in 1990s, the complex became closer to its pre-revolutionary look.
It is the oldest store in the Far East, which began as a trading house ‘Kunst and Albers’, founded in 1864. In the early 20th century this company was the largest in the region and functioned until the 1930s. The historic building was designed by G. G. Junghendel. It is adorned with bas-reliefs, replete with décor and typical German baroque elements, which makes it a valuable architectural monument.
The system of elevators has been in operation since 1962. The lower station is on Pushkinskaya Street, the upper one – on Sukhanova Street. The main passengers are tourists and students of FEFU (university buildings are close to the stops). Two tram-like carriages with a capacity of up to 40 passengers run on the rails. Before the appearance of the lift system the way up could be overcome by rather steep stairs.
It is a unique defensive structure, and its counterpart is located only in Sevastopol. It was built in 1931. The construction consists of two turrets with cannons (underneath them there was an ammunition depot, technical and living quarters) and the underground corridor connecting them. In 1997, the battery ceased to exist as a combat unit, and a museum exhibit was opened on its territory.
It was the 19th – early 20th century’s defensive constructions, and it is considered one of the most fortified and powerful coastal fortresses. Interestingly, its construction was never finished because of the World War I and October Revolution that followed it. When erecting the complex, Russian engineers took into account the experience of the Russo-Japanese War, the terrain and future tasks, which made the fortress virtually impregnable.
Vladivostok’s main temple was built in the early 20th century and destroyed in 1935. There was a cemetery with graves of Tsushima battle’s participants near it. In Soviet times there was a park on its place. The parish began to revive in the 1990s, but a new cathedral was built only in 2007. The modern building is put on the old foundation and is almost a complete copy of the historic one.
St. Paul Lutheran Church
Protestant church of the early 20th century, the oldest religious building in Vladivostok. It was built according to G. G. Junghendel’s design in northern German Gothic style. After the revolution, the cinema and the club were situated here, and later the Pacific Fleet Museum was located. In 1997, the building was returned to the faithful in the presence of the German ambassador. The restoration lasted 12 years at the expense of the Lutheran communities of Germany and other countries.
Catholic Church of Holy Mary
For a long time Vladivostok’s Catholic Church was considered the largest in the Asian part of Russia. The main stage of construction was completed in 1921. In 1935 it was closed, and the priests were shot. Until 1991, the State Archives of Primorsky Krai were housed inside, though already in 1987 the building was declared a monument of architecture. In 2010, the facility’s reconstruction was completed and resulted in appearance of towers and bells.
The oceanarium is situated on the Russky Island. The aquarium is housed in a picturesque building of modern architecture, reminiscent of ocean waves and sea shells. The complex includes a park area, science laboratories, an adaptation building, the main reservoir and engineering structures. The oceanarium opened in September 2016 in the presence of President V. V. Putin.
Vladivostok Aquamir Oceanarium
“Aquamir” is the first oceanarium in Vladivostok, opened in 1991. Two halls with the total area of 1,500 m² contain aquariums with fish, corals, sponges and other deep dwellers. Also the inhabitants of fresh water reservoirs of the Far East, the Sea of Japan, the Sea of Okhotsk and tropical regions are represented. There are about 120 species (2 thousand specimens). There is also a sea museum at the aquarium.
Botanic garden-institute FEB RAS.
The largest garden in the Far East, with a rich collection of plants. It has an important cultural and natural value, so it is a protected area. The first botanical garden appeared in the city at the end of the XIX century, but it didn’t exist long. The modern garden was founded in 1949. There are walking routes through the territory, leading to the protected massifs of Ussuri taiga.
V. K. Arsenyev Primorsky Museum
It is a local history museum with the largest exposition in Primorsky Krai. Natural, archeological and ethnographic collections and materials about local explorers are collected here. The year of its foundation is considered to be 1884, though it was opened for public only in 1890. Today the exhibition is located in the building of former lodging house of industrialist V. P. Babintsev.
Military and History Museum of the Pacific Fleet
The museum was opened in 1950. Its first exhibits were the items brought from the expeditions to Kamchatka and the Kuril Islands. Since then, the collection has grown so much that it takes several hours to look through it. The exhibition is divided into two parts: classical exposition inside the building and military equipment placed in the open air. Interesting exhibits include a Japanese mini-tank and a submarine.
Automotive Antiques Museum
The exhibition consists of rare motorcycles and cars from different countries. All in all, there are a few dozens of them, located in six halls. Among them there are Japanese and German models that were taken as trophies, as well as Soviet equipment and cars of the mid-20th century. Old pictures of Vladivostok and posters from the Soviet times hang on the walls and create additional entourage.
The house-museum of official Sukhanov
The memorial museum of the family of A. V. Sukhanov, a state councilor of tsarist Russia. It is located on the territory of a wooden nineteenth-century mansion, one of the few buildings of this type that have survived. The exposition was created in 1977 at the initiative of the citizens. A. Sukhanov became famous for his contribution to improvement of Primorsky Krai and Vladivostok.
Primorsky State Picture Gallery
It is an art museum, founded in 1965 on the basis of Hermitage Museum’s, Tretyakov Gallery’s and Russian Museum’s funds. A large part of the collection was given from the V. K. Arsenyev Primorsky Museum. The collection is housed in the former building of the Russo-Asian Bank, which functioned in Vladivostok in the early 20th century. In the nearest future the Hermitage-Vladivostok exhibition is planned to be opened on the basis of the gallery.
Gorky Drama Theatre
Vladivostok’s oldest theater was founded in the 1930s. In 1975 the stage moved to the modern building, which was renovated in 2006. Performances take place in the big hall, which seats 868 people, and in the chamber hall, which seats 50 people. The company takes part in Russian and international festivals, goes on tours to other cities and regularly gives spectators new premieres.
Mariinsky Theatre Seaside Stage
A branch of the famous Mariinsky Theatre was formed on the basis of the city’s opera and ballet theater in 2016. This event was preceded by the reconstruction and technical equipment of the most modern equipment. Given that the building was erected in 2013, no great effort was required. The theater has two halls: a large one for 1,356 seats and a small one for 305 seats, designed for chamber productions.
S-56 was built in 1939 at one of the shipbuilding plants of Leningrad. Its parts were delivered to Vladivostok by rail and then assembled. In 1941 the vessel was included into the structure of the Pacific Fleet, in 1943 it was transferred to the Northern Fleet. The boat made eight combat voyages and sank several ships. In 1982 it became part of the memorial complex.
A pre-revolutionary ship built in 1910 in St. Petersburg. Initially it was used as a passenger ship, but during World War I it was adapted for military purposes. “Red Vympel” participated in battles during the Civil War, as well as did some work during World War II. Since 1958 it stopped sailing and was reborn as a museum ship.
Frigates “Pallada” and “Nadezhda”
Sailing ships built at Polish shipyards in 1989, which today are used for the purpose of training future sailors. “Pallada” has made two voyages around the world, “Nadezhda” regularly goes on research expeditions throughout the Pacific Ocean. During naval parades, the sailing ships are used to enhance the aesthetic effect – their passage around the harbor evokes a storm of emotion from onlookers.
Lighthouse on Skrypleva Island
The lighthouse was built in the late 19th century, when the Port of Vladivostok saw heavy traffic. Ships needed a landmark when entering the Eastern Bosphorus Strait. The signal stone tower was installed 52 meters above the sea level, and in 1900 it was equipped with an acoustic siren. Nowadays the lighthouse is still working. In addition, its light is the most powerful in Vladivostok.
One of the oldest lighthouses in the Far East, built in 1876. Today it not only continues to serve properly, being a landmark for vessels coming from the Amur Bay, but is also considered to be the town’s landmark. The structure stands on the small stone spit – Tokarevskaya Koshka – that is located at the edge of the namesake cape.
Complete the article by describing your impression of the city (country) or a particular landmark.
Sakhalin is the true edge of the world, the place where the mighty Pacific Ocean reigns supreme, crashing its mighty waves
For residents of central Russia, Kamchatka is no less mysterious than many foreign countries.
The Oceanarium Russian Bridge Golden Bridge Zerkalnoye Lake Vladivostok Railway Station Benivsky Waterfalls Marine Station
The site contains sights of Vladivostok – photos, description and tips for travelers. The list is based on popular travel guides and presented by type, name and rating. Here you can find answers to questions: what to see in Vladivostok, where to go and where are the popular and interesting places in Vladivostok.
The Vladivostok oceanarium is an amazing sea museum that includes expositions of Pacific Ocean’s aquaflora and fauna, warm tropical seas, lakes and rivers of the Far East, Africa and Amazonia. Aquarium’s expositions take up three halls with the total area of 1500 square meters. A visit to the museum can be compared to a small sea voyage. The Oceanarium museum collection contains over 1000 exhibits, including seashells, corals, sponges, fish and other marine animals. There are also quite unique exhibits, such as the skull of Steller’s sea cow, an extremely rare mammal that was thought to be extinct until recently.
There are about 120 species of sea creatures in the aquarium’s aquariums. There are just so many interesting creatures in its shimmering blue showcases! The Vladivostok oceanarium project was launched in 1987 by specially created creative team. Technical equipment was supplied by the Japanese Nichiro Corporation. The construction of the oceanarium was completed in 1990 and its doors were first opened on the Fisherman’s Day, July 12, 1991.
At the present time, the aquarium continues to develop and painstaking work is underway to collect new material and expand the collections.
APEC summit was the main reason for the construction of such a grand and huge bridge in Vladivostok. Although the question of its construction began to be raised in 1939. Several projects were proposed, but none met all needs. In 2008 a project from a bridge building company from St. Petersburg was received for consideration. The author was the engineer V.M. Kurepin. It was considered satisfactory and the construction was started. It took four years to complete the project.
Russian bridge is a kind of cable-stayed bridge. It is designed for passenger cars and small heavy vehicles. It spans up to one kilometer. On top it is decorated with strung ropes, which are painted in the color of the Russian flag. Along the railing there are lanterns.
Coordinates: 43.06305600, 131.90833300
What sights of Vladivostok did you like? There are icons next to the photo, by clicking on them you can rate this or that place.
The Russian Bridge is a cable-stayed bridge in Vladivostok that connects Novosilsky Cape on Russky Island with Nazimov Peninsula across the Eastern Bosphorus Strait. Among cable-stayed bridges it has the largest span – 1104 meters, and the greatest height of the pylons – 324 meters. The question of the construction of the bridge was raised twice in 1939 and in 1960, but construction began only September 3, 2008.
For the project Russian Bridge spent 643 million rubles, they worked on it for six months. The total length of the bridge is 1885.53 meters and its width is 29.5 meters. The construction work was estimated at 32.2 billion rubles. The Russian bridge was put into operation on July 2, 2012.
The attitude to the Russian bridge is mixed. There is an opinion that the construction of the bridge with a capacity of 50 thousand cars is economically unjustified, as only 5 thousand people live on the Russky Island. On the other hand, the supporters of the bridge construction claim that such a construction will give an impulse to further development of the island, to create large cultural and economic centers and it is assumed that the population of the island will grow up to 150 thousand people.
In photo mode, you can see sights in Vladivostok only by photo.
Golden Bridge is a cable-stayed bridge in Vladivostok, spanning the Golden Horn Bay. Construction began on July 25, 2008 and was completed on August 11, 2012. At the end of the XIX century was the idea of creating a bridge across the Golden Horn Bay, but the implementation of the idea was prevented by war, and then perestroika. In 1969, the construction of the bridge was included in the general plan of the city, but above all plans did not go further.
The general designer of the whole object is CJSC “Institute Giprostroymost” from St. Petersburg. The general contractor was Pacific Bridge Construction Company. The trusses for the bridge construction were manufactured by “Freyssen International and Company” company from France, and the bridge itself was made of the Russian steel and assembled at Nakhodka Shipyard.
The name “Golden Bridge” was accepted and officially approved on September 3, 2012. The length of the bridge is 1,388 meters, the area of the roadway – 76,300 square meters, the area of sidewalks and walkways – 65,759 square meters, and the length of the tunnel – 250 meters. The bridge is capable of withstanding an earthquake of 8 points. Golden Bridge is not just a grandiose technical structure, but it is also a beautiful decoration of the Golden Horn Bay.
The lake is located near the village of the same name in the valley of the river Zerkalna. The water body is about 800 meters wide and slightly more than 1.5 kilometers long. The total area is about 0.99 square kilometers.
Zerkalnoye is famous for the fact that it has a few dozen small streams that flow into it. The most famous of them are the Ovsyannikov and the Zerkalnaya Pad. That’s why the water in the reservoir is always crystal clear. This water can be easily consumed as drinking water. Thanks to it, Zerkalnoye is also considered the largest body of water in the area.
Because of its popularity on the shore of the lake several years ago built a tourist resort, which was named the same as the lake. There are a lot of visitors there all year round.
Also, next to the lake there is a bay with the same name, next to which they breed bees.
Vladivostok railway station
Vladivostok railway station is a passenger terminal of Vladivostok-Gorod station, the terminal station of the Great Trans-Siberian Railway.
The author of this project was architect E. Bazilevsky, who took part in laying the station building and laid the first stone of the structure. The solemn consecration of the station took place on November 2, 1893. Initially it was a stone building with an iron roof, one-story in the middle and two-story on the edges. Floors in the building were lined with clay Japanese tiles, which have survived to this day.
In 1912, Vladivostok station’s building was expanded and superstructed, creating architecturally complete stations at both ends of the Trans-Siberian railway. The initial building became one of the railway station’s parts.
After restoration that took 2 years (1994-1996), the building has got practically the same look as it had in pre-revolutionary times.
Since 1924 to the present day the look of the building has been constantly changing: relief images of glazed ceramics were replaced by Russian folk tales and fairy tales. The station was repeatedly painted by famous artists, whose works can be admired by all the guests of the station.
Located in Lazovsky district of Primorsky Krai, Benev Waterfalls is one of the most beautiful waterfalls in the region. The waterfall more than justifies its name “Star of Primorye” as there is much to admire and admire. It originates from the Elamovsky spring, and its height reaches 25 meters. There are also other waterfalls of different heights in this place, in winter they freeze, forming an ice wall along which the water flows, increasing the ice. Benewski waterfalls are very popular among tourists.
Would you like to know how well you know the sights of Vladivostok?
The sea terminal is one of the main attractions of the Primorsky Krai’s administrative center, the largest sea traffic terminal in the Far East, and the city’s trademark.
In the history of Vladivostok there were two sea terminal. According to the historical chronicles, in the early 1860s, the schooner ‘Aleut”s station was located on the place of the modern Seaport’s building and its sailors laid a glade that later became the Aleutskaya Street. In the late 19th century, one of the first stone piers in Vladivostok was built on this place for receiving, sending and customs clearance of commercial cargoes and was the place of one of the first stops for Russian vessels.
The modern commercial seaport has 16 berths with total length of 4,200 meters, two of them are cargo-passenger berths. The port is ice-free, which allows year-round navigation. More than 20 countries are trade partners of the port. The sea station stands fifty meters from the railway station. Right here, between the two stations ends the longest railway line connecting East and West – 9288 km.
Coordinates : 43.08018900,131.85248000
The most popular attractions in Vladivostok with descriptions and photos for every taste. Choose the best places to visit famous places in Vladivostok on our website.
More Vladivostok attractions
Vladivostok Circus, Vladivostok, Russia Vaskovskoye Lake, Vladivostok, Russia Primorskaya TPP, Vladivostok, Russia Baranovsky Volcano, Vladivostok, Russia Saperny Peninsula, Vladivostok, Russia Egersheld Lighthouse, Vladivostok, Russia