30 best sights of the Stavropol Territory – description and photo
Sights of the Stavropol Territory – what to see for tourists, description, photos, addresses and map of natural and architectural places recommended to visit.
About the history of the city
Like many other cities in the Caucasus and the Caucasus foothills, Stavropol grew out of a fortress and a Cossack camp founded under it. This fortress was founded in 1777 on the Azovo-Mozdok defense line. Stavropolskaya stanitsa was settled by Cossacks of Khopyor. Already in 1778 in the village Stavropolskaya, where the headquarters of the regiment was located, there were 197 houses of Cossacks and officers.
The fortress was named after the fashionable practice of giving names in the Greek style to new settlements in the later years of Catherine II: Stavropol means “city of the cross” The cross is reflected in its flag and emblem of the city.
In 1804 the Caucasian postal route was established and passed through Stavropol. In 1824, at the suggestion of General Ermolov, all state institutions and government offices, most of which were then located in Georgievsk, were moved to Stavropol.
In 1837, Stavropol was visited by tsar Nicholas I. Besides him, the city was visited by Pushkin, Lermontov, Leo Tolstoy, Griboyedov, Belinsky and Odoyevsky. For about five years the great physician Pirogov worked here in the hospital.
In 1842, Stavropol was made the center of the new Caucasian Eparchy, and in 1847 – created from the Caucasian region of Stavropol Province.
During civil war Stavropol, like many other cities of our country, passed from hand to hand: it was ruled by both Red and White.
Until 1935 the city was called Stavropol-Caucasian, because the city of Povolzhye was also called Stavropol (which was renamed in 1964 as Togliatti). In 1935, the city was renamed Voroshilovsk, but this decision was reversed on January 12, 1943.
From August 3, 1942 to January 21, 1943, the city was under Nazi occupation.
After the war, during the Soviet Union, a strong economic foundation of the city was laid: there were more than four hundred companies. Despite the destruction and chaos of the 1990s, Stavropol has retained its importance as the most important industrial and cultural center of the North Caucasus region.
Balneo-mud cure clinic named after Semashko
Balneo-mud cure clinic named after Semashko.
The main health institution of Yessentuki is a mud cure clinic Semashko. It was founded in 1913 and was originally called Alexeevskaya. The modern name was given to it in 1923 in honor of the founder of the Soviet health care system Nikolai Semashko. The sanatorium was strongly damaged during the Civil War and temporarily was closed. During the World War II the sanatorium survived and the building was used as a hospital, and then as a baths.
In the postwar years, the functions of sanatorium were restored, and today its activity continues. The medical institution is excellently equipped and meets world standards. Annually, the number of patients reaches 90 thousand people.
The range of recreational activities is wide and includes:
- Mud therapy;
- Manual massage;
- Water procedures;
- Cosmetic procedures, etc.
The building in which the balneary is located is no less attractive. The inspiration for the architect Schretter who built it came from the Roman thermae. The entrance is in the form of a portico with Ionic columns and a pediment. The walls of the building are decorated with bas-reliefs and antique sculptures. Atrium of the hospital is a large room filled with light. Here visitors can relax in comfort after the procedures.
Address: Balneohriachelechebnitse named after Semashko. Semashko street, Yessentuki, Stavropol Territory, Russia.
L [ edit ]
Lenin Square [ edit ]
Lenin str. Lenina Street [ edit ]
Lermontov State Museum-Reserve in Pyatigorsk
Lermontov State Museum-Reserve in Pyatigorsk.
Mikhail Lermontov spent a lot of time in Pyatigorsk; his fatal duel took place there. In memory of him there are several sights founded in the city. One of them is a museum, located in the house where the famous poet and writer ended his days. The building, built in the XIX century, has remained virtually intact. The museum was opened in 1912; the complex includes 4 buildings.
In the house of General Verzilin, the exposition focuses on the work of the poet, especially devoted to the Caucasus. In Lermontov’s house, one can see the setting in which he created his greatest works. All the exhibited things are authentic, including the table, at which the poet wrote the novel “A Hero of Our Time”.
In the house of Umanov there is an art department. Portraits, sculptures and illustrations are exhibited here. Another department is the house of Alyabiev: it hosts exhibitions and concerts, focusing on the poet’s role in theatrical art and music.
Address: Pyatigorsk Museum-Reserve of M. Y. Lermontov, Lermontov Street, Pyatigorsk, Russia.
In 1841 at the eastern entrance to the city, on the Tiflis highway, the Triumphal Arch was erected. This monument was dedicated to the 30th anniversary of the victory in the Patriotic War of 1812.
The Tiflis Gate was destroyed in the 1930s. The architectural landmark was restored at the turn of the 1990s and 2000s. Old photographs and drawings were used for this, so the Triumphal Arch made of travertine and now looks the same as it did in the XIX century.
Address: Karl Marx avenue.
The square, located in a lively part of the city, has changed a lot of names. Vorobyovka Suburb, Bazaar Square, in Soviet times – Lunacharsky Square, Lenin Square. In our time it was named after the Tsar-Liberator Alexander II, who visited Stavropol when he was still in the rank of heir to the throne.
This beautiful and well-appointed place is also called Angel Square – after a monument to the Guardian Angel was installed in its center: a tall stele with a winged statue of an angel with a cross.
Address: Dzerzhinsky street.
Pushkin Gallery in Zheleznovodsk
Pushkin Gallery in Zheleznovodsk.
Pushkin Gallery is a summer theater on Mount Zheleznovodsk. Elegant light building – architectural monument and symbol of the city. It was built in 1902 and became a place for theatrical performances. In the center of the building there is a dome, surrounded by four elegant towers. From them diverge two one-tiered wings with panoramic glazing.
The main materials used during the construction were metal and glass. Elements of the construction were created in several cities at once – St. Petersburg, Warsaw and Vladikavkaz. And the forged elements were made by the hands of Zheleznovodsk craftsmen.
The Pushkin Gallery stage has hosted many famous artists during its existence: Isadora Duncan, Edita Piekha, Iosif Kobzon. It retains its cultural significance even today. Here are held concerts, events and art exhibitions.
Address: Pushkin Gallery, Resort Park, Zheleznovodskii, Stavropol Territory, Russia.
Built back in 1912 the pharmacy is still working according to its original purpose. It is a beautiful building with relief stucco decorations and a clock tower.
Not only do they sell medicines inside: next to the showcases of the real pharmacy there is a museum stand. In the exposition you can see the equipment of pharmacy of the early twentieth century: consider old jars and bottles, a microscope, a rare counting machine, antique scales, stupas and other pharmaceutical instruments of the distant past.
Address: 50 Karl Marx avenue.
From [ edit ]
This beautiful natural object is located in Pyatigorsk on Mount Mashuk. The lake was formed as a result of the failure of limestone rocks. Its main feature is the amazing turquoise water. Such a shade is due to the content of sulfur compounds and special bacteria in it. The depth of the lake is 11 meters.
The study of the reservoir began in the XVIII century. A century later it became a destination for walks of the nobility of Piatigorsk. By the way, it is mentioned in the novel “A Hero of Our Time”. The locals did not like the lake: the strong smell of sulfur was associated with the devil by superstitious people.
Today the Proval is a tourist attraction and a calling card of Pyatigorsk. To the lake leads a tunnel, illuminated by lamps. Swimming in the lake is prohibited, but you can admire it from two angles: an observation deck near the lake and another one, located above. The lake is immortalized in another literary work, the novel “The Twelve Chairs”. A monument to its hero Ostap Bender is placed near the entrance.
Address: Proval Lake, Pyatigorsk, Stavropol Territory, Russia.
Cultural and entertainment facilities
City of the Sun” water park
Stavropol Krai, Inozemtsevo village, Nikolaevskaya ul. 2.
Website: https://water-park-65.business.site/ Working hours:
09:00 – 20:00 Mon-Fri
1200 rubles – adult ticket, 800 rubles – ticket for children from three years
Water park “City of the Sun” – one of the most famous in the region. Tourists are provided with a hotel, restaurant and, of course, the water park itself with various entertainment areas: karaoke, disco club, bowling.
Tersky stud farm
Novoterskij village, 2, Schoolnaya str.
Website: http://terskarabian.com/ru/ Working hours:
08:00 – 17:00 Mon-Fri, 12:00 – 13:00 – break, Sat, Sun – day off
Tersk Stud is the largest and most popular enterprise where thoroughbred Arabian horses are bred. It was founded in 1889 by S. A. Stroganoff near the Zmeyka mountain.
To this day, the stud farm functions according to the old traditions. There are also guided tours and broodmares. For example, the show exhibition, where visitors can see the best horses. Guests are also provided with overnight accommodation.
The tract “Taman forest dacha” and Cold springs
Right in the center of the city, on the Stavropol Mountain, there is a picturesque corner of nature – a real forest. Through the tract flows a small river Tashla, come out of the ground five springs. Some of them form small waterfalls, and some – the whole pools, cold and deep. There are picturesque narrow hinged bridges across the pools.
The tract “Taman forest dacha” and Cold springs
The forest is not accessible by vehicle, but it is equipped with sports equipment and many trails, convenient for walking and cycling.
Location: the center of the city.
Kislovodsk national park
Kislovodsk National Park.
The huge national park covers an area of 965 hectares and is considered the second largest artificial park in Europe. Its history began in 1823. It was decided to ennoble the territory by attracting the noble tourists with the abundance of healing springs.
Nowadays “Kislovodskiy” is very popular among both vacationers and citizens owing to its well-groomed atmosphere and a lot of monuments of architecture and nature. Lush flora: grow both local and exotic species. Of animals can be found squirrels, foxes and hares, and birds are more than 200 species.
At the top of the park is the Temple of Air. It is made in the form of a rotunda. It is believed that the local air has great healing properties. In the Narzan Gallery (Lower Park) you can buy mineral water, visit the exhibition of minerals.
Other sights of the park:
- Sculptural composition “Lermontov’s Playground”;
- Glass Statue” pavilion and Mirror Pond;
- Crystal Spring with a gazebo;
- Bridge “Lady’s Caprice”;
- Red Rocks (sandstone rocks);
- Red Sun Mountain.
There are pavilions, fountains, grottos and museums, so no one can stay indifferent at “Kislovodskiy”.
Address: National Park Kislovodsk, Kislovodsk, Stavropol Territory, Russia.
Cathedral of the Intercession of the Holy Virgin
Cathedral of the Intercession of the Virgin Mary.
Cathedral of the Intercession in Mineralnye Vody is notable because it contains the remains of Theodosius of the Caucasus, the patron saint of the Stavropol region. It is believed that he worked miracles and helped the local residents in every way. His relics are still said to have miraculous powers.
The temple was built of red brick and is interesting from an architectural point of view due to the mixture of styles. The building is fairly new, construction began in the 90s, when the Tikhvin icon was found on the site of the cathedral. Inside the carved iconostasis and paintings are notable. The bell tower of the cathedral has eight bells, which fill the neighborhood with melodic overflows.
Address: Cathedral of the Protecting Veil of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Pyatigorskaya Street, Mineralnye Vody, Stavropol Territory, Russia.
Healing Springs of Zheleznovodsk
More than 20 springs with healing water have been discovered in the Resort Park on Zheleznovodsk Mountain. Three of them are popular among tourists. The oldest is called Lermontovsky, it was discovered in the early 19th century. Above the spring there is a pavilion in the ancient style, the entrance is made in the form of a halfrotunda.
The second spring is Slavyanovsky, named after the engineer Nikolai Slavyanov. Healing water from it rises from a depth of 120 meters. The spring is also quite hot, the water temperature is about 50 degrees Celsius. Buvete – a small building in white and blue colors, decorated with columns.
The third source of Zheleznovodskiy spring is Smirnovsky, named after Dr. Smirnov. He was in charge of clearing the swamp, where the spring was located. Its water is quite sour. The pavilion is designed as a beautiful gallery; there is a light and music fountain nearby.
Address: Slavyanovsk Spring, Zheleznovodsk, Stavropol Territory, Russia.
Stavropol Museum of Local Lore
Stavropol Museum of Local Lore.
The attraction is dedicated to the history, culture and nature of the Stavropol Territory and occupies a beautiful building from the late 19th century. The museum was founded in 1905, and for many years it was the only one in the North Caucasus region. During the Great Patriotic War, it was looted, but it continued to work. After the war it was given the responsibility of protecting the cultural monuments.
Today the museum is proud of its rich collection of 300,000 items. The exhibition is fascinating because of the use of computer technology that is especially appreciated by young people. Unique natural objects (skeleton of Elasmoterian rhinoceros), archaeological finds and artefacts which introduce the everyday life and culture of the Caucasian population are represented.
Address: Stavropol State Museum-Reserve named after G.N. Prozritelyev and G.K. Prave, Dzerzhinskogo Street, Stavropol, Russia.
30 main sights of the Stavropol Territory
Attractions for the most part are concentrated in several relatively large cities: Stavropol, Essentuki, Kislovodsk, Zheleznovodsk, and Pyatigorsk. Natural beauty is interspersed with human creations. For example, in Kislovodsk National Park there are many interesting man-made places. Cable cars help not only to easily climb the mountains, but also to explore the surroundings.
The region is firmly associated with the memory of Lermontov, who was killed here in a duel. The prominent poet and novelist has a museum dedicated to him, and parks, grottos, and so on are named after him. One of the peculiarities of Stavropol is the mineral waters. Everyone can come up to the springs and taste any of the varieties of mineral water. It is advisable to consult a doctor before doing so.
The most interesting and beautiful places of the region
List, pictures with names and descriptions of popular sights!
Kislovodsk national park
Founded in 2016 on an area of more than 965 hectares. Until then, it was a resort park. Sightseeings: natural monument Red Rocks, avenue of thuya and birch trees in honor of memorable events, cableway, Lermontov pavilion, flower calendar and clock, pavilion-museum “Horseshoe”, rope town, etc. There is a special therapeutic walking route called terrenekur.
This unique natural site is located on the southern slope of Mashuk in Pyatigorsk. Under the influence of mineral water formed an underground cave, and then hydrogen sulfide destroyed rock, and there was a crater 15 meters in diameter, which became a lake. It is about 11 meters deep. A convenient entrance is made, not far from it a sculpture of Ostap Bender is installed. The tunnel inside is illuminated up to the descent to the water, which has a rich blue color.
It is located near Pyatigorsk. Area – 170 hectares, the average depth – about 2 meters. Its muds are considered therapeutic and on the characteristics are not inferior to the Dead Sea sediments. Although it is not allowed to drink the water from the lake, it is suitable for short-term bathing. However, the specific smell can be a discouraging factor for tourists. There are no fish or nesting birds.
The mountain massif, which is a five-headed mountain, is located in the south of the region. The peaks have separate names: Big Tau, Small Tau, Goat Rocks, Shaggy Nose, and Fox Nose, otherwise known as Two Brothers. The height is up to 1400 m. The mountain is rich in minerals, including uranium ores, and mineral springs. It is recognized as a natural monument. A monastery was built on the southwest slope.
Sculpture of the Eagle in Pyatigorsk
Installed in 1901 in honor of the centennial of Pyatigorsk. The very first eagle was made of cement and had to be restored from time to time. In 1973 an exactly the same bronze bird was cast. The eagle is clutching a snake in its talons. According to legend, the reptile stung the feathered man when he wasn’t expecting it. However, he was able to get to the spring, drink the healing water and wash the wound, so he survived.
Located on the outskirts of Kislovodsk and is a natural monument. The height above sea level – 871 m, above its own base – 100 m. Rock formation with rounded hollows and cavities appeared due to soil erosion and winds. The eight-meter high opening in particular stands out. From the top point, among other things, there is a panoramic view of the surroundings. It is part of the Lermontov Museum-Reserve.
Main Narzan baths
Built for the centenary of Kislovodsk in the early years of the last century. The complex is recognized as a monument of architecture. There are Indian motives in decoration (lotuses, shikhara). Inside there was everything necessary for spa treatment. Gradually, the total number of baths increased to 88. In 2018, after the restoration, which caused some of the details to lose their former appearance, the building was turned over to the hotel.
Narcan Gallery of Kislovodsk.
Is part of the national park. Architectural monument was built in the middle of the 19th century. Initially it was a wooden well, surrounded by fence. Later there appeared a beautiful mouthpiece, which survived to this day. In the gallery there is a wide range of narcans. They vary in composition as well as in temperature. There are walking zones and lively souvenir trade around.
This natural monument is located in the southeastern part of Pyatigorsk. Its height is 993 meters. The top of the mountain offers a view of the surroundings. There are also poles with nailed to them are signs: the name of the city and the distance to it are written on each of them. You can get here on foot or by using the tollbooth. One of the sights is a rock portrait of Lenin from 1925.
Pyatigorsk aerial tramway
The idea of its creation began to be implemented in 1965. Its length is a little less than a kilometer. The design is different from most ropeways without intermediate supports. On the route there can be two booths with a capacity of up to 20 people each. During the short ride (about 3 minutes) you can look around. Especially picturesque views are on the left side.
Aeolian Harp Gazebo.
Built in the early 1830s on Mikhailovsky spur of the Mashuk mountain. For 30 years there was an original harp inside, which rotated and made sounds in the windy weather. Later a similar instrument was installed in the arbor, and now it has been replaced by a modern stylized instrument, which does not depend on the wind. It is considered one of the best viewing platforms in the vicinity of Pyatigorsk.
It was founded in 1912, in the house where the writer lived and worked hard during the last months of his life. This is where his body was brought after the duel. Inside, the lifetime furnishings have been preserved, including a particularly valuable desk. The collection is divided into four sections, which not only deal with Lermontov’s biography, but also touch on related themes, such as his representation in the fine arts.
It is located in Pyatigorsk and was decorated in its present form in 1829. Although it is of natural origin, the cave was deepened during the improvement. Before it was called “Calypso” it was called Lermontov’s Grotto in the 1860s. History attributes the love of the writer for visiting this place to him. Nearby there was another grotto – the Small, but it collapsed, leaving only ruins.
The place of Lermontov’s duel
The glade on the slope of Mashuk, where the writer died in July 1841. It refers to the territory of Lermontov museum-reserve. The permanent monument appeared in 1915. It is an obelisk with a wider lower part, where the bust of Mikhail Yurievich is built. It is surrounded by a fence, made of posts and massive chains, and in the corners there are vultures. Height – 8,3 m, material – dolomite, bronze and concrete.
Fountain “Dwarfs” in Pyatigorsk
Also called “Fairy Tale” or “Grandfathers”. After the construction of a new water pipeline in the city, the first fountain appeared in the square. The water flow was powerful and the appearance was dismal. In 1910 there was built a full-fledged composition of a stone mountain and 8 dwarves, who guarded it. During the Second World War, the fountain was partially destroyed, and it took 5 years to restore it. Now the area around it is one of the favorite resting places of citizens.
Museum-reserve “Tatar settlement
It is archeological and natural reserve at the same time. It is located near Stavropol and has its current status since 1992. The area is about 200 hectares. The settlement appeared not later than the VIII century BC. The burial grounds, the traces of ancient roads, the hardly visible ruins of constructions and other objects have not been studied up to the end yet. To them lead excursions, depending on the interests of tourists, differ and details of routes.
Yessentuki mud cure clinic
It was built in the first half of XX century. It is named Semashko. It is referred to architectural monuments. The style is anticlassicism, and the authors took inspiration from the ancient Roman Thermae. Four two-storey buildings are united into one. Mud from the Tambukan Lake is used for procedures. The mud is stored and heated in the basement. The clinic simultaneously takes more than 200 people.
Spa Park in Yessentuki
Construction began in 1848. One of the distinctive features – in the park you can drink mineral water from wells number 4 and number 17 for free and without restrictions. Shady alleys are loved by spa guests. In the younger part of the park there are parties and discos. Notable objects include the mechanotherapy building, the “Casual Encounters” gazebo, the fountains, the Upper Nicholas Baths, and more.
Palace of Emir of Bukhara in Zheleznovodsk
The Palace of Emir Bukhara in Zheleznovodsk is situated in the spa park of Zheleznovodsk. The palace ensemble was erected in the early twentieth century. Architectural style is pseudo-Moorish with layers of other styles. Soon after its construction the palace was given to sanatorium and then to hospital. Currently it is rented by private persons and will remain as a hotel for the next 49 years.
It belongs to the Pyatigorye and has a height of 994 meters. It got its name because of the big number of gullies and ditches. From afar, they looked like snakes. Since the mines were excavated here, the terrain changed. Sightseeings: monuments of World War II, two holy springs, and excavations of stone structures dating back no younger than the IX century. Fans of active recreation like the mountain: the climbs are not easy.
Drinking gallery “Pyatityachnik” in Yessentuki
It was built in 1990 and belongs to the territory of Victoria, but it can also be visited by nonresidents of the sanatorium. One of the largest galleries with natural mineral water in Europe. The name refers to the capacity. You can try both cold and hot “Essentuki-4”, “Essentuki-17” and other varieties. It is better to discuss the dosage with your doctor beforehand. On the second floor there is a greenhouse where exhibitions are held.
Zheleznovodsk Spa Park
It was created in the 20s of XIX century. It is situated on the slope of Zheleznovodnaya mountain, the forest park zone is of natural origin. Area – about 210 hectares. Attractions: pump rooms of different years of construction, Pushkin Gallery, chess pavilion, musical pavilion, etc. Throughout the park are placed benches, sculptures and flowerbeds. Lined recreational hiking trails.
Healing Springs of Zheleznovodsk
They are mentioned since 1793, and a couple of decades later were actively used for prevention and treatment. Now there are 23 known healing springs. Around them are built health resorts with modern equipment and professional teams of doctors. Three springs are publicly available for all comers: Lermontovsky (the oldest), Slavyanovsky (one of the hottest) and Smirnovsky.
The Castle of Treachery and Love
The mountain has a height of 950 meters above sea level, and from its own base – 80 m. It is located in the vicinity of Kislovodsk. Its name is connected with the legend about the love of the prince’s daughter and the shepherd. He was not afraid to die for his feeling, she retreated at the last moment, but never found happiness. Nearby there is a hotel and restaurant, styled as a castle. Only guests can get into the area and look around.
Stavropol Museum of Local Lore
The museum was founded in 1905. The collection is based on archaeological and ethnographic finds. In 25 years the museum will add an educational museum to its basic local history profile. The exposition is located in the former trading stalls. The remains of animals and ancient people stored here are typical for most of the Caucasus. The collection of weapons, samples of poster art, numismatics, etc. is also impressive.
Stavropol Museum of Fine Arts
The Stavropol Museum of Fine Arts received its first visitors in 1962. It is the only museum of its kind in the region. The collection is vast and has little in common. There are works of art of different styles, by foreign and local masters, covering the time period from the V century BC to the present. The exposition is distributed in the halls of the three buildings, combined into a single ensemble. There is an educational program for children.
It began to work in 1973. The length – 1743 m. At the same time on the route there are 2 cabins. During the ride you can look around and plan a further route. From the highest point in good weather you can see Mount Elbrus. Different time of year – different impressions of the ropeway. Where the carriages are close to the tops of pine trees, you can always smell the pine.
St. George’s Monastery
Founded in 2006 in Essentuki. Women’s monastery includes a temple, around which the monastery was built, service buildings, two chapels, a bath with access to holy water, an icon shop, and an orphanage for girls. The facade is decorated with white marble; a feature of the interior decoration is the Star of Bethlehem, embedded in the floor. Relics – part of the relics and the chiton of George the Victorious.
Chaliapin’s Dacha in Kislovodsk
It got its name very conventionally, as the singer did not have a permanent dacha in the Caucasus, but he often came here. The building was built in the early years of the XX century. The rooms are partially preserved or restored interiors of that time. The museum, which is located inside, is a literary and musical and hosts thematic events. There are a lot of rare and antique books among the exhibits.
Tersky stud farm
It was founded in 1889 near the Snake Mountain. The first horses were purchased in Syria and the North Arabian Desert. It was ruined during the civil war and later revived as a state-owned. Became private again in the mid-2000s. Shows and stages of championships are held, there are open days. The stallions and mares bred here, as well as their offspring sent abroad, win titles at various competitions and exhibitions.