Top 20: The best places to see in and around Podolsk
Brief description Podolsk is a city with a rich history. Thanks to its unique location – in the heart of Russia, near Moscow, no historically significant event has bypassed it.
The history of Podolsk began with a small village belonging to the patrimony of Moscow Danilov Monastery – the first mention of the settlement dates back to 1627. Place developed and flourished, and at the end of the XVIII century Catherine II signed a decree on transformation of the village into a district town. Podolsk was a reliable defense for Moscow during the war: this fortress city was a barrier to the enemy, guarding the southern approaches to the capital in 1941.
Today the city is the administrative center of Podolsk district of Moscow region and one of the largest centers of industry. And also – a real treasure trove of attractions, because there are so many of them in Podolsk.
Services for travel:
Tripster.ru – the leading online booking service for excursions in Russia.
Supra.ru – accommodation for business trips, business trips, travel, holidays at the sea or ski resorts, etc.
Ostrovok.ru – one of the most famous Booking analogues in Russia. It offers accommodation around the world.
Aviasales.ru – an assistant in the search for cheap air tickets.
Tutu.ru – tickets for planes, trains, buses, electric trains, aeroexpress trains, as well as author’s adventures and package tours.
Travelata.ru – hypermarket tours with discounts up to 50%.
Localrent.com – car rental broker for local rental companies.
Where to go and what to see in Podolsk in 1 day by yourself?
The most interesting and beautiful places, photos and descriptions.
1. Dubrovitsy estate and Znamenskaya church
A noble manor near Podolsk (in the village of Dubrovitsy) was built back in the XVII century. The first owner of the building and land in the area was Boyar Morozov. Later the owners of the estate changed: the Golitsyns, the Dmitrievs-Mamonovs and the Potemkins lived here. Unfortunately, most of the items have not survived: in the 20th century, the furniture and art objects were taken out. But you can see the Armorial Hall, the walls of which are decorated with frescoes. On the territory there is an alley with a century-old linden park – they say there are linden trees, planted by Peter I.
The pride of Dubrovitsy estate is the Church of the Sign of the Blessed Virgin Mary, built according to a non-typical for Orthodoxy project. The church is crowned with a crown, and instead of frescoes – sculptures on biblical themes (sometimes the building is even called “sculpture museum”). There is an interesting history associated with this building. At one time this mansion belonged to Prince Boris Golitsyn, the tutor of Peter I. When his entourage slandered the prince, Peter ordered him to retire to his estate. A year later, having dealt with the gossipers, the tsar returned Golitsyn to Moscow. It is believed that this was the reason why the prince decided to erect a marvelous church – as a sign of reconciliation between teacher and pupil. At the laying of the church attended by Peter I.
Address: Dubrovitsy village, Podolsky district. Coordinates on the map: 55.44174662299565, 37.49302191534355
2. Generations Square
Generations Square is a gift to the residents of the city for the 225th anniversary of Podolsk. Although it is the center, but until 2006 there was an apple orchard and memorial plaques. The territory of the square is small, but very well-appointed: a lot of benches, lanterns, lawns, flower beds, decorative lighting. The decoration of the park is a beautiful fountain, which children love to play with. Nearby is the symbol of Podolsk, the tower with the city clock and the coat of arms of the city.
20 main attractions of Podolsk near Moscow
Podolsk is a beautiful city. It is completely clothed in greenery, and from it majestically view churches, old mansions, museums and other attractions. There is much to see and learn here. The main museums tell about the rich history of the region, life and life of the citizens. There remains a lot of architectural monuments of the past, which have survived in their original form to the present day.
What sights you can see in one day
A bird’s eye view of Podolsk
Most of the sights are located on the territory of this city of Moscow region. Therefore, it will not be difficult to see them. These are interesting museums with many items of historical and natural importance:
- Museum-Reserve “Podillya”;
- Podillya Museum of Local Lore;
- Podillya exhibition hall;
- Museum of Vocational Education and others.
But it is worth seeing here what no other city in Russia has. For example, Podolsk is famous for its rotating fountain in the architectural ensemble dedicated to the heroes of the novel “War and Peace”. Here Natasha Rostova dances her first dance with Andrei Bolkonsky. In the evening, the fountain also glows.
If you have a few days at your disposal, you can visit the Ivanovskoe estate, the Dubrovitsy estate complex and the Ostafyevo state museum-estate. These sights are located in the outskirts of the city.
Main entertainments in the city
Until 2015, Podolsk was the administrative center of the Podolsk district, now abolished
If you are a movie buff, you can go to the KaroFilm Podolsk cinema or the Molodezhny cultural and entertainment center. The latter often hosts various themed evenings, where poets, writers and actors are invited. Here were Mordyukova, Papanova and Andreeva. For fans of active games, you can visit the paintball club “Parkclub Lemeshovo”. Here are a variety of fields and platforms. You can order the game by the plot. The most popular nighttime entertainment will be a trip to the club “Honey”, where you can relax and dance.
Where to go for a walk in Podolsk in the fall
The city was formed from the village of Podol, which in the 18th century belonged to the Moscow Danilov Monastery.
Podolsk is a green city with many park areas. Therefore, in the autumn time it will be even more beautiful, shimmering with different colors. Recommended to visit:
- Generations Square;
- V. Talalikhin Park;
- Jekatirinsky park;
- Science Square;
- Dubrava park.
Almost each of them has some kind of sculptures or monuments to famous people, for example, a monument to Catherine the Great and the hero of the Great Patriotic War V. V. Talalikhin.
Podolsk is a small town, characterized by charm and color. It is full of museums, architectural and historical monuments, churches and temples. There are many parks and monuments, each of which can tell an interesting story. For any tourist, it is a real find.
V. Talalikhin Monument
Bust of the hero of the Great Patriotic War, who rammed a German plane in the first months of the war, installed in the park of the same name
The monument was erected to the hero of the Great Patriotic War V.V. Talalikhin, who in the first months of the war rammed the Nazi aircraft. He is a native of Podolsk region, who defended the region from a German attack. It all happened not far from the city. The monument is installed in the park of the same name.
Monument to the Singer sewing machine
The monument was established in 2011, because it was in this city that the first Singer factory appeared, where sewing machines were produced. For many years the factory has worked tirelessly. Its owners and names changed. Today it is “Zigzag Trading House”. The sculptor of the monument is A. Rozhnikov. The monument is in the form of a bronze sewing machine on a red granite pedestal.
Monument to Miloradovich Grenadiers
During the Soviet times the monument was redesigned in honor of Karl Marx, but in the 90s it has got its original meaning again
A monument in the form of a four-sided pyramid with a double-headed eagle was erected in Sobornaya Square opposite the Trinity Cathedral to the 100th anniversary of the Patriotic War of 1812.
The monument was installed in front of the Trinity Cathedral on the day of celebration of the victory in the Patriotic War of 1918. During the Soviet regime, the monument was remade, as a monument in honor of Karl Marx. But in the 90’s everything was restored to its original form. It is a pyramid with four faces and a two-headed eagle on top.
Podolsk Museum of Local Lore
The foundation of the museum took place at the end of the 20th century. The first exhibition was entirely made up of things brought in by enthusiastic townspeople. They gave their own antiques and things of historical or natural value. There are exhibits that allow you to learn more about the history of the city and county. The archaeological exposition deserves special attention.
Church of the Resurrection
They continue to beautify the temple: new icons have been painted and are being painted by the masters of the Palekh icon painting school.
The temple has icons with relics of St. Philaret, St. Innokenty, the Metropolitans of Moscow, and Blessed Matrona, as well as an honored temple icon.
Earlier on the site of the present church was a wooden church, dated 1694. The stone construction was erected in 1972. During the Great Patriotic War the church suffered great damage. But in the shortest possible time everything was restored. It is a two-tiered bell tower, made of red brick with elements of white stone. The last reconstruction took place in 1989.
The Ostafyevo Estate
It was visited by famous writers and poets of the time: Pushkin, Karamzin, Gogol, Griboyedov, Zhukovsky and others.
The setting quite allows us to take a little trip back in time of Pushkin, Vyazemsky, and then Karamzin.
The mansion used to belong to the Vyazemsky-Sheremetev family. It was built in the classical architectural style and dates back to the 18th century. In the 19th century it was bought by Count S. D. Sheremetev as a museum in honor of Alexander Pushkin. Nationalization of the property led to the closure of the museum. The objects of the exhibition were partially transferred to other museums. In 1980, the estate was given the status of a museum monument.
Both adults and children will be informative. Maybe after visiting such a museum, your child will choose a future profession or specialty to his or her liking.
The estate dates back to the 19th century. It was built specifically for Count F.A. Tolstoy. It is made in classical architectural style: decorated with a portico and majestic columns, neat, symmetrically located wings. The back yard overlooks the Pakhra shore. After the October Revolution the mansion was turned into a dormitory. But then it was abandoned as well. Today there are two museums to visit.
Monument to the Podolsk Cadets
Young cadets of Podol destroyed almost 5 thousand German soldiers, destroyed 100 tanks, while they lost 2500 soldiers.
The monument to the Podolsk Cadets was erected in honor of the combined detachments, which in October 1941, together with the 43rd Army, defended the southwestern border of Moscow.
Architectural composition located in the town square and dedicated to the celebration of Victory Day in 1975. It is a figure of three military men, and above them a developing banner. The monument is made entirely of stainless steel. It is installed in honor of the three students of infantry and artillery schools who defended the approaches to the capital during the Second World War. They defended their positions until the last minute of their lives, until backup came.
Sculpture “Podolsk – the city of the working class.
It is worthy of standing, we can say the symbol of the city, because a huge number of industrial enterprises are concentrated in Podolsk.
Very symbolic location of the sculpture right near the station – every visitor of Podolsk walks past it
The monument is located on the square in front of the station. He first meets the citizens and guests of Podolsk on their arrival from the train. It was created by a group of architects, and was mounted in 1969. This is a classic Soviet monument, where the worker is so strong, mighty and handsome. He proudly declares that everything is within his power, even the building of a cloudless future.
Monument to Catherine the Great
This depicts a symbolic moment for Podolsk, namely when Catherine signs the document granting Podolsk the status of a town
The monument to Catherine the Great is located in the garden near the railway station and brings life into the surrounding landscape
The monument to Catherine the Great was built in 2008. This is because it was the empress who gave the city status to Podolsk in 1781. You can look at the monument in Catherine Square. This is the empress, who sits at a desk and holds a pen in her hand, as if she is going to sign an important decree. The architectural ensemble is decorated with red granite slabs on the pedestal.
Church of the Resurrection
Before the revolution, after the completion of the Trinity cathedral, it mostly served as a cemetery and was left behind the cathedral
There is information that a wooden church, which used to stand on the place of the present church, stood during the reign of Ivan the Terrible. In the 30s of the 17th century, a stone structure was erected. In the 18th century it was restored, and in the 19th century it was repainted. At that time the building was in severe disrepair until it was restored in 1990.
The cathedral was built in 1819-1832 in honor of the victory in the war of 1812 according to the project of the master of the school of O.I. Bove
The abbot of the cathedral from the early 1940s to his death on January 7, 1954 served Archimandrite Gavriil (Grigoriev)
The cathedral was created as a compositional center of all urban development, which determines the architectural appearance of Podolsk
Orthodox cathedral of the 19th century, which was made in the Empire style. It is located on Sobornaya Square. The temple did not cease its work even in the Soviet Union. Although the rows of shops, which are considered part of the architectural ensemble, have been destroyed. The cathedral is located on a small hill. Therefore it attracts the attention of tourists from afar. Sort of beckoning everyone to look into it.
Podolsk exhibition hall
The exhibition hall was opened in the center of the city in the 70s of the 19th century. Its total area is 2,000 square meters. Over all the years there have been a lot of vernissages and exhibitions of various kinds. Exhibits from all over the country were brought here. Moreover, various concerts and celebrations are organized here.
Great employees of the center, a good informative tour, friendly staff, the minimum price for an entrance ticket
The museum was founded in the 30s of the 19th century in the house where the Ulyanov family lived. Even the leader of the proletariat visited it twice. Over time, the reserve museum was renamed “Podillya”. This name has been preserved to this day. The exhibition was organized on the territory of the house. There is a well-kept lawn and plants, typical for the central part of the country.
Museum of local lore
The first floor exposition of the museum tells about the fate of the estate, its owners and prominent personalities who visited the homestead
Regional History Museum in Podolsk is located in the main building of the estate Ivanovskoye on the picturesque banks of the Pakhra River
The museum was founded in the late 19th century through the efforts of concerned citizens. The first exhibition was entirely composed of exhibits that they brought from their homes. The museum has moved several times. Today it is housed in a 19th century mansion. But the exhibition has become considerably larger. It includes archeological exhibits from the 9th-12th centuries, local artwork, and nature exhibits.
Square of Glory
There are figures of Soviet soldiers with grenades and submachine guns carved on a large granite slab, and the words: “To the heroes of Podolsk, who defended their country, honor and freedom with their lives.
The main war memorial in Podolsk is installed on the Square of Glory and is dedicated to the Great Patriotic War.
Slaby Square was established in honor of fallen soldiers and veterans of the Great Patriotic War. An architectural ensemble created by a group of Soviet-era architects stands majestically here. It is a stele surrounded on both sides by granite slabs with soldier bas-reliefs. The creation of the monument dates back to 1970. In 2010 the square was reconstructed. Several new elements added to the composition:
A memorial dedicated to the labor and military activities of citizens during World War II; a monument honoring soldiers who gave their lives during combat operations in Afghanistan and Chechnya.
Fountain “Natasha Rostova’s First Ball”
The rotating fountain was opened in 2014. It is decorated with sculptures of Natasha Rostova and Andrei Volkonsky during their first dance. These are living people. More precisely, actors from the famous film “War and Peace” by S. Bondarchuk. Composition in the streets appeared as a result of the project to ennoble the pedestrian areas of Podolsk.
The fountain is pedestrian, you can walk around it to refresh yourself during the day, and in the evening there is a beautiful light and music show
The opening of the square was timed to coincide with the next Day of Podolsk and took place in 2006. Here you can see not only neat lawns and flower beds. The fountains and the Podolsk “Big Ben” – a clock tower with a clock face and the city’s coat of arms – deserve attention. Earlier there was an apple orchard and a memorial.
The church is located near the Dubrovica estate. And the architectural style is very similar to it. The church was built by B. Golitsyn. The work involved an architect from Italy. The result was a magnificent building. It certainly can be called one of the most beautiful in all of Russia. In appearance the church turned out similar to Catholic churches. Because of this, it did not even want to be consecrated.
Church of the Sign of the Mother of God in the Dubrovitsy estate near Podolsk, built by Count Golitsyn with the financial participation of Peter the Great
Old manor house of B. Golitsyn, dating back to the 18th century. The facade of the building is made in a harmonious combination of two currents – baroque and classical style. In the 20th century, all the valuables of the mansion were taken away. Today you can admire the mansion only from the outside. Inside the decoration is very laconic and modest.