The Engelsberg Ironworks ( Swedish: Engelsbergs bruk ) is an ironworks in Engelsberg, a village in the municipality of Fagersta in Westland, Sweden. It was built in 1681 by Per Larsson Gillenhöck (1645-1706) and in the period of 1700-1800 it became one of the most modern steelworks in the world. It has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1993.
The Engelsberg Ironworks bears the name Englika. Englika, who was born in Germany, began producing iron in Engelsberg in the 14th century.
The history of iron production in the region goes back to at least the 13th century. Local peasants mined ore and produced iron in primitive furnaces.
In the late 16th century, Engelsberg introduced more modern methods of production, and in the following decades production volumes increased significantly.
Among the surviving buildings are the manor house, the inspector’s house and the smelting shop with blast furnace.
UNESCO World Heritage Site
The Engelsberg Metallurgical Works is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It was added to the list in 1993:
Sweden’s production of top-grade iron made it a leader in this field in the 17th and 18th centuries. The site is the best preserved and most complete example of a Swedish ironworks.
Mansion on the garden side
Two cinder block towers
Dam and blast furnace
Road to the Engelsberg Ironworks
This article about a place in Westmanland County, Sweden is an incomplete . You can help Wikipedia by expanding its .
This article about a museum in Sweden is incomplete . You can help Wikipedia by expanding its .
The Engelsbergs Ironworks is an industrial monument in Sweden
Engelsbergs is a former steelworks on Lake Amenningen near the town of Engelsberg in the municipality of Fagersta in Sweden.
It is considered one of the leading industrial monuments in the world . Since 1993 it is a World Heritage Site.
The site includes a mansion, a park, a mill, worker’s dwellings and industrial buildings.
It is part of the Ekomuseum Bergslagen.
The Engelsbergs ironworks is an industrial monument in Sweden
Cast iron production in Engelsbergs.
It goes back to the Middle Ages, when the so-called miners in the early days made use of the natural resources of Bergslagen more efficient.
In the 18th century the Engelsberg mill could definitely be considered one of the most important ironworks both at home and abroad.
Iron was extracted from stone-type ore and then refined. The ore came from mine workings, and charcoal, which was crucial to heating the material, came from nearby forests.
Engelsberg got its name from the German miner Englick, who moved here in the fourteenth century.
The first mill owner to move to Engelsberg was a nobleman from Gillenhöck, Per Larsson. He bought a piece of land from the miners and built a mill north of the estate.
In 1728 the Cederhielm family purchased most of the building and worked purposefully to improve it. In 1779 a blast furnace was built.
Claes Gabriel Timm’s family operated the mill from 1825 to 1916. The buildings were modernized. The forge was rebuilt. Communications were improved, making it easier to transport ore and finished iron.
He modernized the mansion, which then fell into disrepair. The blast furnace chimney was raised. He built a roasting furnace, installed an ore crusher, fan and heater. After 1887 he was declared bankrupt. His son and grandson tried to run the mill for a while, but in 1890 they were allowed to close the forge and in 1891 the production was leased.
Consul General Axel Axelsson bought the mill in 1916, but closed production 3 years later.
His son Johnson incorporated the mill into Avesta Jernwerk.
Axel Axelsson Johnson was interested in older iron forging and in 1920 he built 2 forge furnaces to keep the older forge in operation.
Until the 1950s, there was a tradition of having a general meeting at the mill and visiting blacksmiths at work during the break
Engelsbergs Bruk is now owned by Nordstjernan AB.
Mansion and wings
The avenue leads to the present manor house, which was built in 1746 on the site of the burnt-out old manor house. It then acquired the typical look of the time with 2 floors and a broken roof.
The Engelbreckt annexe of the 17th century was used as a kitchen in the east wing. The west wing of Söderhielm was built until 1780 for the 19 children of the two marriages of Lorenz Peter Söderhielm, the owner.
The round towers were built of cinder block. They were used as arbors and exits.
The territory of the manor house is private, so you can enter it only during a tour on the road to Smejan.
The first Herrsmedjan hammer forge was built in 1624. It acquired its present form during a rebuilding in 1845.
In the forge, iron was heated and worked with a melting hammer, which was used to beat the melts into rods. These were produced from bar iron until the Lancashire method was introduced in the late 19th century.
At that time, the focus was on the production of smelts, which were sent to other factories for processing.
Blast Furnace Plant
A special shop produced pig iron by melting ore and limestone in a blast furnace using charcoal.
The blast furnace at Engelsberg is one of the few preserved clay log houses in the country.
The blast furnace tube was insulated with earth and braced with a wooden structure. The original 9 m long chimney was rebuilt in brick and raised 3 m.
Blast Furnace Plant
The oldest parts of the buildings and industrial facilities date from the 1770s.
The roasting furnace was built in the 1870s when the mill was rebuilt to its present appearance.
Industrial plants and horticultural plants are adjacent to the property.
Up to 50 buildings are counted here. In addition to the clay log house and hammer forge, there is also a weighing room where coal and ore were weighed.
The day laborer’s building or “tavern” served alcoholic beverages and housed those who worked in the mill during the day.
Along the Brooksgatan were buildings for farm work, stables, and pigsties.
Dwellings for workers were outside the central part of the mill. Engelsbergs hytta is one of the few surviving log cabins in the country.
In 1917 a Lancashire forge with a rolling mill was built. For many years there was a mechanical workshop for the production of valves made of stainless steel and special materials.
Today this building is the conference center of Nordstjernan AB. You can also see 2 mill offices, a gardener’s villa, cinder-block towers from the 1770s, a grain store, and a barn where Nordstjernan’s central archive is now located.
Here you can stroll through the neighborhood and look at the beautiful buildings that are historically associated with ironworking.
Walk past the manor house to Sniten Lake , then over a small bridge and back along the forest road.
If you want to walk a little longer, you can walk from Engelsberg Mill through Skulpturparken, past Sogholmen and the former fish farm, through the farmstead, through Snitenon to the old country road toward the mining village of Stabek.
The paths are signposted.
Engelsbergs bruk has preserved much of the technical equipment . The water wheels, crushers, blowers and hammers still work, making the blast furnace and forge unique.
It was one of the most important steelworks in the world, making Sweden one of the largest iron producers in the world.
The mill is the only privately owned World Heritage Site in Sweden. It is owned and maintained by Nordstjernan AB, which holds conferences and is open to the public.
Tours of the mill take place in the summer. A private group tour can also be booked all year round.