All the most interesting sights of Kolomna gathered on one map for easy orientation, to museums, churches, interesting objects are given detailed descriptions and photos, where necessary, listed opening hours and prices for admission tickets.
Kolomna is a small town two hours from Moscow. However, do not let its modest size confuse you – there are so many attractions that Kolomna can easily compete with any of the major tourist centers of the country. The city has a long history full of triumphal and tragic events.
According to recent excavations, the foundation of the city dates back to 1140-1160 years, which makes it one of the oldest in the Moscow region.
Kolomna is the best place for a day trip or a short holiday. There are a lot not only architectural monuments and interesting museums but also parks, green zones and squares (the Peace Park, squares of Zaytsev and Bluedechko, the Memorial Park). In summer, the city is buried in greenery, and walking through its ancient streets is especially pleasant.
Also in Kolomna in the warm season there are various festivals, including literary, musical, historical. In general, travelers speak of the city as a very talented, creative – on the one hand, well-maintained, clean, well-appointed – on the other.
To form your own image of the city, we recommend reading reviews of the sights of Kolomna. In them the authors share their impressions of the trip. Perhaps such reading will inspire to compose your own route.
What to see in Kolomna. Where to go
The Kolomna Kremlin is the most important historical monument of Kolomna. Its territory is open to all guests every day.
Attractions of Kolomna on the map
- City information
- Weather in Kolomna
- Map of Kolomna
- Where to go
- Sights (33)
- Museums (22)
- Parks (4)
- Temples, Cathedrals and Mosques (8)
- Amusement Parks (9)
- Zoos (2)
- Sports facilities (1)
- Restaurants and Cafes (2)
- Activity Centers (1)
- Squares (1)
- Galleries (1)
As already mentioned, Kolomna is compact and all the interesting places can be seen in one day if you arrive early in the morning and stay until the evening when most of the museums are closed.
The main attraction is the Kolomna Kremlin, a partially preserved monument of ancient Russian defensive architecture. It occupies an impressive area and is one of the city’s quarters, so you can move around its territory quite freely.
The Kolomna Kremlin complex brings together four dozen buildings, including houses of historical value, churches and cathedrals, towers and monuments. If you do not pay close attention to each of them and just walk around, taking pictures, it is quite possible to fit in two or three hours.
The rest of the time should be devoted to visiting museums. They are wonderful in Kolomna, and that is no exaggeration. They are devoted to a variety of objects and phenomena – pastilles, soap, samovars, toys, the Soviet era. Some museums offer theatrical tours, and that in itself is a fascinating spectacle. Excursions usually last one to one and a half hours, so it is important to fit the schedule correctly in order to leave in time (make an appointment in advance). The nice thing is that all the museums are within walking distance of each other.
Top 25 attractions in Kolomna: overview with photos
What to see in Kolomna first of all: the Kremlin, merchants’ houses and historic churches, museums of various subjects, city sculptures and other important sights.
The Kremlin in Kolomna was built during the reign of Vasily III, in 1525-1531, and for its time was one of the largest, most powerful fortresses. It was built on the site of the wooden Kremlin, which was destroyed and burned down during raids.
View of Cathedral Square of the Kolomna Kremlin from the Granovitaya Tower © Irina Dementieva
Area of the Kolomna Kremlin is 24 hectares, and the total length of its walls – 1940 meters, the height of the walls in different sections is 18 to 21 meters and their thickness is from 3 to 4.5 meters. Historically the Kremlin had 16 towers, of which only 7 have survived. The most important historical, architectural and cultural monument in the Kremlin is a complex of temples: Assumption Cathedral with a bell tower, Novogolutvinsky monastery, Resurrection and Tikhvin churches, Church of Nicola the Guest, Church of the Exaltation of the Cross and Assumption Brusensky monastery.
Assumption Cathedral in Kolomna
The Dormition Cathedral of Kolomna is on the Sobornaya Square of the Kremlin and is the dominant feature of its ensemble. The three-domed church on this site was founded by Prince Dmitry Donskoy in 1379, and it was painted by Theophanes the Greek. In the second half of the XVII century the church became dilapidated and could not be rebuilt. In 1672-1682, under the supervision of architect Meletiy Alekseev, a cathedral was built in its place.
The first relic of the temple was the Donskaya icon of the Mother of God, which accompanied Dmitry Donskov during the victorious Kulikovo battle. In its restored form, the Dormition Cathedral in Kolomna has been in operation since 1999.
The most famous surviving towers of the Kolomna Kremlin are the Granovitaya Tower, in which the center of Russian military culture is held these days, and the Marinkina Chamber, which is steeped in legends. It is the Marinkina Chamber that tourists are often interested in. According to legend, Marina Mnishek, wife of False Dmitri I, was in the tower and died there, and the tower was named after this event. The legend that the famous prisoner escaped her fate and escaped captivity through the loophole window is still alive: she turned into a magpie and flew away.
The Marinka’s Tower also had other names: Kolomenskaya – because of its proximity to the river Kolomenka; Kruglaya – as it seemed from a distance, although in fact it was 12-sided; Naugolnaya – because of its location in the northwest corner of the Kremlin.
Kuprin’s House in Kolomna
A historic wooden private house with a mezzanine in the heart of the Kolomna Kremlin, on Sobornaya Square, attracts attention immediately, and becomes even more interesting when you get acquainted with its history. The house, preserved almost unchanged till our days, was built in the XIX century and belonged to the family of a collegiate assessor S. G. Nat, relatives of the writer A. I. Kuprin, whom he often visited and for two years even lived here permanently.
That is why the cozy house with a mezzanine is now known as “Kuprin’s House”, but the most unusual thing is that it has not become a memorial museum, but you can visit inside and even more – stay overnight. There is a small hotel in Kuprin’s house, the interiors are simple and modest, the historical details are preserved.
The unusual name hides a monument to the unique historical Kolomna water supply system, or more precisely a water standpipe of the beginning of the XX century. In pre-revolutionary Kolomna there were six such colonnades, or basseks, and they were named after the patron of art, on whose money they were created – Maria Shevlyagina.
Located Shevlyaginskaya basseka on the Artillerymen’s Lane, opposite the museum-factory of marshmallow. It is remarkable that it is not just a monument: the pool is working, connected to the city water supply system, so you can come and drink or take a drink of water.
Monument to the Water Carrier
There are not many urban sculptures in Kolomna, and the more interesting and remarkable is the Monument to Vodovozoz, located in the most appropriate place for it – on Vodovozniy Lane, on the bank of the Moskva River. Vodovozers used to collect water in barrels from the river, deliver it to the inhabitants of the city, and sell it in buckets. The profession was relevant until the beginning of the 20th century, before the construction of the water pipeline.
The Kolomna monument is a water carrier in typical clothing, with a barrel and a dog next to him. The author of the composition is blacksmith A. Yakushev, the monument was installed in 2012.
One of the few surviving merchant estates of the 18th century. The museum in the Lazhechnikovs’ Estate is a part of the Historical and Cultural Museum-Reserve “Kolomensky Kremlin”, open since 2010.
The permanent exhibition of the museum “Kolomna of bygone centuries” is dedicated to the history of the Kolomna merchant class of the XVIII-XIX centuries, as well as the life and works of writer I. Lazhechnikov. On the same street is located Mokeeva manor – now the library named after I. I. Lazhechnikov, and a small museum.
Monument to Cyril and Methodius
The monument to the creators of the Slavic alphabet was opened in Kolomna in 2007, its authors – sculptor A. Rozhnikov and architect M. Tikhomirov. Walking around the city it is difficult to forget this monument, as it is located on Sobornaya Square, near the hipped bell tower of the Assumption Cathedral.
Sculptural composition: a cross above the figures of saints, St. Cyril is depicted with an alphabet scroll in his hands, and St. Methodius – with the Gospel.
The manor complex of the early XIX century is located opposite the Granovitaya Tower of the Kremlin, on Oktyabrskaya Revolution Street. The merchant Mokeev built himself the main house, outbuilding and a couple of stables. The next owner of a well located estate went down in history – I.I. Lazhechnikov, one of the founding writers of the Russian historical novel.
In 1899, the first public library in Kolomna, named after I.I. Lazhechnikov, was opened. Since 2005, a small, stylish library museum, decorated by designers from Moscow, has been working in the mansion.
Classical noble mansion in the Kolomna Kremlin on Lazarev Street – Mozgov’s House – was built in the first half of the XIX century in the traditions of classicism. However the house never became a family estate, its tenants were changed several times, and the house was called after the name of its last owner.
Mozgov’s house is a part of an ensemble of three neighboring buildings in classicist style: together with Krestovozdvizhenskaya church and Lukovnikov’s house.
Epiphany Old Golutvin Monastery
The ancient monastery is located in the southeastern part of the city, this is the outskirts of Kolomna at the place where the Moscow River flows into the Oka. Golutvin Monastery was founded back in 1385, and the qualification “Staro-” was added to the name at the turn of the XVIII-XIX centuries, when the Novo-Golutvin Monastery of the Holy Trinity was formed on the territory of the Kremlin.
The main church of the Staro-Golutvinsky Monastery is the Epiphany Cathedral, built at the beginning of the 18th century on the site of the first stone church of the monastic complex. Later there were built fencing with towers, western and eastern corps with belfry, Sergievsky church with abbot’s building adjoining to it, and household outbuildings.
The monastery was founded within the Kolomna Kremlin, on the territory of the former archpriest’s house after the abolition of the Kolomna diocese in 1799. The oldest buildings of the Bishop’s House, which joined the new monastery, are the white-stone building of the Bishop’s Chambers and the Trinity Cathedral, built in 1705.
The nunnery is female, there live more than 80 nuns. In the monastery there are workshops, a kennel of dogs and horses, as well as a hotel and a refectory for pilgrims. In addition to the Trinity Cathedral, the temple ensemble includes the Church of the Intercession and the bell tower.
Church of St. Nicholas on the Posad
One of the oldest churches of Kolomna adorns Posadskaya street, the place explains its name: the Church of Nicholas the Wonderworker on Posad. Built a beautiful stone church in the style of Moscow patterns in 1716-1719.
St. Nicholas Church is famous for its architectural details: beautiful finishing with brick carvings and especially the top of 105 corbel arches and “bundled” five-cupola domes. The cibs and corbel arches were restored during the Soviet restoration of the church. The church is now under the management of the Old Believers community.
Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross
Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross of 1832-1837 in the Kolomensky Kremlin, right behind the Pyatnitsky Gate on Isayev Street. In terms of architecture the church is very unusual: built in the classicist style and topped with a massive domed rotunda, it is connected to the bell tower with a passage on the second floor; the lower tier of the bell tower is deaf, decorated with porticoes.
25 Main Sights of Kolomna
Ancient Kolomna is the subject of a fierce dispute of powerful princedoms, a land marked by the wholesome activity of St. Sergius of Radonezh. These days, the city has become a mecca of cultural tourism near Moscow. On weekends or holidays, the city streets, museums, restaurants and historic estates are filled with tourists who come here with their families.
Kolomna offers visitors not only trips to ancient monasteries or a traditional walk through the Kremlin. A phenomenon of the local tourist infrastructure is a large number of small private museums dedicated to particular aspects of Russian life, craft or even a particular household item. Usually their owners are happy to greet visitors and offer interesting excursions.
What to see and where to go in Kolomna?
The most interesting and beautiful places to walk. Photos and a brief description.
The main historical and archaeological complex of Kolomna, built by Italian architects in the 16th century. A small part of the fortress wall and 7 of 17 towers have survived. Most of the historical monuments of the city are located on the territory of the Kremlin. Among them are churches, manors, chambers, schools and squares. The architectural ensemble of the Kolomna Kremlin was formed in the period from the XIV to the XIX centuries.
Places to visit first. All the most popular and interesting. The main cultural and historical monuments.
The central square of the Kolomna Kremlin, on which in the 14th century stood the chambers of the Grand Duke. The modern appearance of the area was formed closer to the XVIII century after the general redevelopment of Kolomna. The place is surrounded by the Assumption Cathedral, Tikhvin Church and the monastery bell tower of Novo-Golutvinsky monastery. Since time immemorial, the square has witnessed important events in the history of the Moscow principality.
Pyatnitskie Vorota is one of the towers of the Kolomna Kremlin, the gala entrance to the historic part of the city. The height of the structure is 29 meters, but several centuries ago its height was 35 meters due to the upper tower – lancet, which has not reached our days. There is a legend that during the Time of Troubles the massive casement gates were removed by the order of Marina Mnishek. Thanks to this, the Polish troops were able to enter Kolomna quietly.
Kolomna Pastila Museum
The museum was opened in 2009 not far from the Church of St. Nicholas on the Posadady in the territory of Suranov’s manor. The creators have carefully studied archival documents and tried to restore the technology of Kolomna Pastila production, which was used in the XVIII-XIX centuries. Once upon a time there was a whole factory producing this delicacy, but after 1917 it was shut down, and its recipes were forgotten or lost.
Museum of Flax and Everyday Life of a Russian Woman
New museum opened in the Forge Sloboda quarter. The basis of the exhibition was a private collection of townswoman Natalia Ryabtseva, consisting of folk costumes, home textiles, spindles, spinners and other home weaving equipment. First, the woman opened a store “Flaxen Grace” in Kolomna and then became the owner of the museum. The exhibits are placed on two floors.
Samovar House Museum-Estate
In recent years, many small museums have opened in Kolomna, which are located in picturesque old manor houses. One of them is the “Samovar House”, which has an impressive collection of these traditional home utensils. The collection contains over 600 samovars of different sizes and colors. A separate room of the museum, decorated as a Russian hut, has a real traditional Russian stove.
Kolomna Museum of Local Lore
Originally the museum collection was located on the territory of the Marinkina Tower of the Kolomna Kremlin. Since 1936 it was located in the building of the Church of the Archangel Michael, and since 2006 the exposition was moved to a picturesque merchant’s manor of the XIX century. At the moment the Kolomna Museum of Local Lore has three branches: the Voivode’s House, the Lazhechnikov Estate and the Museum of Military Glory. The collection consists of more than 27 thousand items, including archaeological finds, paintings, icons and books.
Museum of Organic Culture.
Original gallery of contemporary art dedicated to the Russian avant-garde of the 20th and 21st centuries. The works of the modern masters that support and develop the postulates of the “organic culture” are exhibited here. These include M. Matyushin, T. Glebova, A. Kozhin, V. Sterligov, P. Kondratyev, E. Guro and many others. The exhibition is housed in a wooden manor – a monument of architecture of the XIX century.
Another “tasty” museum in Kolomna, dedicated to the traditional local craft – making kalache. The exposition is housed in a historical building of the 19th century. Like at the Pastila Museum, its creators restored old recipes, built a baking oven and recreated the historical setting. The visitors will be told about the peculiarities of baking and the secrets of taste of Kolomna kolache.
Private Gallery “Favorite Toy Museum
A collection of dolls, games, teddy bears, which were made in the period 1890-1980. The exhibits were collected by a resident of Kolomna Irina Kulikova. In 2014, she opened the museum to show her finds to people. During a visit, the hostess herself can give a tour, telling about the exhibits and their history. The idea to create the museum came to I. Kulikova in 2012, when she became interested in sewing Teddy bears.
Blacksmith’s Sloboda Museum.
An exhibition of various wooden and wrought iron objects created by local craftsmen. Also in the museum funds there are weapons, armor and obsolete household items (antique kettles, irons, scales). The beginning of the collection was founded by a blacksmith I.G. Lebedev. For many years, he collected iron objects all over Russia, then built a mansion in the historical center of Kolomna and organized a permanent exhibition.
House of Suburban Handicrafts
A private exhibition hall with its own permanent collection, as well as regular temporary exhibitions. There is a real blacksmith shop on the premises. The House of Posad Crafts is a frequent home; the owners themselves give tours and talk about their exhibits. There are pottery, blacksmithing, decorating and toy-making master classes at certain hours for anyone interested.
The museum-in-residence “Art. Yerofeyev and Others”.
An unusual creative space, exhibition hall, stage for performances and museum in one place. Regular contemporary art exhibitions, theatrical performances and interesting themed excursions are held there. The permanent exhibition tells the everyday life of Soviet Kolomna in the 60s and recreates the specific atmosphere of the Thaw and the dissident spirit of that era.
House of Ozerov” Cultural Center
The center was opened in 1980 to commemorate the 600th anniversary of the Kulikovo Battle. Its territory is designed for exhibitions of various themes and concerts. Over the years, several hundred exhibitions dedicated to graphics, sculpture, and painting have been organized. The gallery is housed in the building of a picturesque mansion of the XVIII-XIX centuries, which is ranked as a monument of architecture of the Classicism era.
The estate of Lazhechnikov merchants
The mansion is one of the branches of the Kolomna Museum of Local Lore. The exposition is devoted to the life and works of writer I. Lazhechnikov. It keeps books, household utensils, furniture, documents, and photos of family members. The rooms recreated the furnishings of a XIX century merchant’s house. The museum was organized thanks to the fact that many items have been preserved by the writer’s direct descendants.
Old Golutvin Monastery
One of the oldest monasteries on the territory of Central Russia, founded in the XIV century with the participation of Prince Dmitry Donskoy and venerable Sergius of Radonezh. The monastery is located at the confluence of the Oka and the Moskva rivers. It is believed that the construction of the monastic complex began after the conclusion of peace between the Ryazan and Moscow princedoms. The first abbot was a disciple of Sergius of Radonezh.
The monastery is located near Kolomna in the village of Staroye Bobrenevo. It was founded in honor of the victory in the Battle of Kulikovo at the insistence of Sergius of Radonezh. In addition to its religious functions, the thick monastery walls played an important role in the defense of the city and the borders of the Moscow principality. At the beginning of the XX century the monastery was closed, it was severely dilapidated during 70 years of Soviet rule. In 1991, reconstruction work began.
Holy Trinity Novo-Golutvin Monastery
Active female monastery of XIX century erected on the place of former chambers of local bishop. At the monastery there is a medical center where professional doctors-nuns work, as well as a children’s shelter. Regular guided tours of the territory are offered to visitors with visits to the craft workshops and the refectory. The monastery also has a hotel specially adapted for pilgrims.
Church of St. Nikola on the Posada
One of the oldest Orthodox churches in Kolomna, existing since the XVI century. The building was first made of wood, and then in the XVIII century it was rebuilt in stone in the “Russian” baroque style. The temple was named in honor of Nicholas the Wonderworker. The historical interior decoration was lost during the campaign of destruction of religious sites in the thirties of the 20th century. At the moment the building belongs to the Old Believer branch of the Russian Orthodox Church.
Monument to Dmitry Donskoy
Monument of 2007 dedicated to the great Russian prince, who helped bring about a turning point in the history of the Russian state. The statue of the winner of the Kulikovo Battle is made of bronze and is 5.5 meters high. The sculptor depicted the prince on horseback with full armor, as if he just went to the historic battle and is determined to free his land from the yoke.
Monument to the Water Carrier
The sculptural composition graced the city in 2012, it is intended to perpetuate the hard work of water carriers, which was in demand until the beginning of the XX century. The monument was created by a local blacksmith A. Yakushev. The statue was placed at the place where water carriers were taking water from the Moscow River, and then transporting it through the streets of Kolomna. The sculptural group consists of a figure of a water carrier, a large barrel, and a cute dog.
The first water supply system in Kolomna was built by 1902 at the expense of a representative of a rich merchant family, M.N. Shevlyagina. The system was able to meet the needs of residents for clean water, which was obtained from artesian wells dug on the banks of the river Kolomenka. One of the water towers, the Shevlyaginskaya Basin, was restored and connected to the city water system in 2013.
Kolomna Skating Center
A sports complex erected in 2006 and adapted for training and competition skaters. The central arena can accommodate 6,150 spectators. The complex has a children’s school of Olympic reserve. There is also a swimming pool, rehabilitation center for athletes, a museum of skates, gyms, a stadium, a winter hall and a cafe. The Kolomna Skating Center has hosted many Russian competitions and world-class championships.
City park in the central part of Kolomna, laid out in the 70s of the XX century. The park is located on the site of mass graves of soldiers during the Great Patriotic War of 1941-45. Even in the times of Catherine II the Petropavlovskoe cemetery was located here. Eternal Flame is burning in the park, there is a memorial statue “Mourning Youth”, there is a Museum of Military Glory, opened to the 65th anniversary of Victory.
Entertainment amusement park, a popular place for weekends and holidays. There are numerous souvenir shops and cafes, organized entertainment for children and adults. The park was founded in 1948, at first it belonged to the Kuybyshev plant. Kuibyshev, but then became available to all citizens. The place is often called the “green lungs of Kolomna” because of the vast area and a large number of plantings.
Complete the article, describe your impression of the city (country) or a particular landmark.
Moscow is multifaceted and grandiose, each time it turns to the traveler thousands of dissimilar.
During the feudal atomism of Russia, Serpukhov was the southern outpost of Muscovy, defending its borders from the west.
Thank you for the review of our city, all very competently and fully described. Now the administration is investing a lot of money in the development of tourism, and the closure of the borders will help us to establish recreation in Russia. Thank you for your hard work and useful articles. Sincerely Kolomna City Guide Team.