Holidays in Madagascar in 2022 – all information about the country
Madagascar is one of the most mysterious and interesting places on the planet, it is home to many mysterious and rare animals. Everyone has heard about it from a series of popular cartoons of the same name. It is these cartoons have given Madagascar such popularity among tourists from around the world. But, what is shown on the screens is only an image, a slight trace of what actually awaits the traveler who goes to Madagascar in 2022.
General information about Madagascar
Madagascar is an island nation in the Indian Ocean. Republic, the fourth largest island on the planet, and the largest island nation.
Madagascar was inhabited as early as AD by tribes who arrived there by boat. The people of the island have similarities with the people of the Austronesian tribes. Arabs unsuccessfully tried to colonize Madagascar and European seafarers also came to the island. One of them, Marco Polo, gave the island its name. In the 16th century, Europeans became keenly interested in the island, and in the next century it became of interest to pirates, who frequently visited the island and made sea raids on merchants traveling eastward and eastward from there.
Madagascar was long dependent on France. It did not become an independent state until the 1960s. This was followed by a series of riots and rebellions, and now, by the beginning of this century, Madagascar is just taking its first steps toward democracy.
Madagascar is located in the southeast of the African continent, on the island of the same name. A third of the island is highlands. Madagascar is rich in mountains, valleys and many rivers. In the east of the island there is a lowland covered with rain forests, and in the west there are plains. The southern part of the island is semi-desert. On the island there are many dormant volcanoes, sometimes there are earthquakes.
Madagascar on the map
Climate of Madagascar
Climatic conditions depend on the part of the island. While in the northern part of Madagascar, the climate type is subequatorial, in the south it is tropical and humid. The hottest part of the island – the northwest, here in the hottest period (December-February) daytime temperatures can reach 35 degrees Celsius. The farther from the equator, the lower the average temperature. During the coldest period of the year, the average temperature in Madagascar is about 25 degrees Celsius. As for precipitation, the maximum amount is again in the period from December to February, even storm warnings are not uncommon.
In general, the climate of Madagascar can be divided into two periods: the hot season with lots of rainfall and the dry season. For a trip to the island will suit almost any month except January and February – during this period it rains so much that it washes away the roads and may prevent the development of exotic areas.
Safety in Madagascar
Madagascar is not one of the safest countries in the world. Despite government efforts, there are sometimes strikes in the country, and sometimes the epidemiological situation is unfavorable. However, if the traveler goes to a major city – for example, the capital city Antananarivo – he may not be so afraid of the unknown island. The crime situation in the capital is generally not bad.
Here’s what you should take care of when traveling to Madagascar:
- Be sure to have your documents – passport with a visa, driver’s license;
- It is not desirable to carry all financial resources that are available at the time of the trip;
- When visiting places of interest, it is best to use the services of a guide or accompanying person and comply with his requirements, as well as to listen to the advice of the local accompanying person, if you have chosen such a person;
- Women, regardless of their age, should not walk alone, but accompanied either by another woman or a man;
- be careful with drinking water: all water should be boiled or bought in a quality supermarket;
- when swimming in the ocean waves, you should choose the right places for this: lagoons, areas surrounded by coral reefs. Unprepared person and unaccompanied should not swim away, because in the ocean waters are sharks;
- Going for a walk in the woods, you must beware of insects. Before leaving on vacation, it is best to take medication against malaria.
Visa to Madagascar for Russians
Getting a visa to travel to Madagascar is extremely simple. Arriving on the island, at the airport, you must apply to the appropriate service with a passport and a return ticket.
Russians immediately put a visa for a month, and at the same time it is completely free!
How to get to Madagascar
The best option – air travel. Direct flights from Russia are not so good; there are some flights from Moscow to Antananarivo, but they are very irregular. The easiest and most frequently used way to get to the island from Russia is a connecting flight to Paris, France. From Moscow and back tickets will cost about 60,000 rubles, although you can get a lift and catch options at a discount.
Other types of transportation
Madagascar is an island, so it is logical that there is no way to get there by land transport. However, for those who want to make an exotic journey by sea, there is an option. Luxury cruise ships regularly stop in Madagascar. For the adventurous and experienced travelers, there is an option to get to the island from the African continent – but there are no certain regular flights and schedules, so this option is only for big adventurers.
Where to stay in Madagascar
The most attractive for the average tourist will be a vacation in the capital of the republic – Antananarivo. Translated hard to pronounce the name as “City of a Thousand Warriors,” and the local population abbreviates it to “Tana. The twin cities of the exotic capital are Nice and closer to us Yerevan. There is also an international airport in the capital; the capital is famous for its mild climate and the developed tourist sector.
Antananarivo offers many hotels for all tastes. One of the most popular, according to reviews of tourists on the web, is a very good four-star hotel Hôtel Colbert – Spa & Casino. In a good season, if you book in advance, you can get a double room in this hotel for 6000 rubles per night.
The hotel offers a swimming pool, a spa, a fitness center, and many other amenities. But such hotels are not suitable for everyone, and not everyone is needed – because someone goes to Madagascar in order to spend most of the time outside the hotel. For these tourists are suitable small guest houses or apartments, which in the capital also a lot, and they are if you choose wisely and read the reviews of guests, will also be comfortable and safe. Such small institutions will take for a night in a double room in the area of 1500 rubles.
Other options for overnight stays in Madagascar
It is not necessary to stay and live in the capital. On the island of tourism brings a large part of the state budget, and therefore there are a fairly large number of resort areas of the country: Ambohimanga, Murundawa, Nusi-Buraha Island and others. In general, in more or less major cities you can always find and book a private apartment or cottage.
Attractions, entertainment and cuisine
So, the traveler became interested in Madagascar and arrived in the country. On this amazing island there is something to see and do for individual travelers, families with children, and companies of young friends.
Animals of Madagascar
The island, as mentioned in the famous cartoons, is famous for its nature and wildlife. Only in 10 years of the new century biologists have discovered more than 600 new species of animals.
Madagascar is home to such remarkable representatives of fauna as:
- lemurs (the only habitat on the planet for these animals);
- Chameleons (half of the world’s species);
- unique butterflies (for example, the comet butterfly, whose wingspan reaches 20 centimeters);
- Many birds, reptiles and fish.
For those who are staying in the capital of the republic and want to see historical and cultural monuments, Antananarivo offers several options for spending time with the benefit of the mind and heart.
For example, the beautiful royal palace of Ruwa is located in the capital. It is located on a mountain that was home to both tribal chiefs and local crowned heads. The palace, unfortunately, was damaged in the 90s during the uprising in the state, but since then it has been actively restored. Another interesting palace is Andafiavaratra, located on the highest hill. The palace now houses a museum displaying archaeological finds and works of art, and is known for its exquisite interiors.
There is also something in the capital that both adults and young travelers who are passionate about flora and fauna will be happy to visit. This is the botanical and zoological garden Tsimbazaza. Rare plant species and typical Madagascan fauna are present there. Older children and adventurous adults will find it interesting to visit the Pirates Museum (because the history of the island is very closely connected with the representatives of this… hmm… profession).
Interesting places in Madagascar
Of course, most tourists do not come to the island to spend all the time in the capital. Each destination will offer something special to the tourist.
First of all, travelers to Madagascar are attracted by the unique nature: landscapes and inhabitants. There are several large national parks on the island, the main one being the Cinji du Bemaraha Reserve. This site is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, which already speaks of its uniqueness.
The nearest settlement is Morondava, for car travelers it will be easy to reach the park from Antasalovu as well. The road to the park is quite difficult and the park itself is huge, so you can’t go there in one day. However, there are many hotels and campsites near Cinji du Bemarah, and there are food outlets as well as qualified guides to help you navigate the park. Admission to the park costs about 300 rubles per person.
What you can see in this amazing reserve:
- Nature’s only unique mineral formation;
- a huge number of observation sites for photographers and those who are impressed by nature;
- hiking trails with suspension bridges – breathtaking;
- Rare species of trees, plants, and animals;
- Many caves and gorges.
Other famous national parks of Madagascar are very adapted even for not the most athletic tourists De-Ranomafana Park, filled with green valleys, lemurs and butterflies, and Montagne d’Ambre, whose distinctive feature is, firstly, the extreme diversity of species, and secondly, a spectacular waterfall.
In the vicinity of the capital there is a whole group of extinct volcanoes – Ankaratra. They have been silent for more than a thousand years. The area with volcanoes may not please everyone – it really is a mysterious deserted atmosphere, but the proximity of the volcano, which not everyone can see in his life, fascinates and awe-struck. Another mysterious place of the country is a dead lake Antsirabe. Despite the fact that the water temperature is favorable for the emergence of life, there are no plants or animals in the lake. The locals make up legends that this lake can never be crossed by man…
There is a group of travelers who want to go to Madagascar also for a beach vacation. They can be understood, as mentioned earlier, there are many beach resorts on the island, there are both wild and prepared beaches to receive tourists.
It is important to note that for a beach holiday is best to head for the west coast of the island – there are fewer dangerous sharks.
Beaches Madagascar is famous for its soft and clean sand, clear ocean. Not all of them are fully prepared to receive tourists, but some resorts, for example, Nusi-Be, there are not only hotels and beaches, but also entertainment infrastructure – namely, a wide range of entertainment for night parties.
In addition to enjoying nature, Madagascar has things to do besides visiting museums and parks:
- rock climbing;
- Water sports: diving, yachting, surfing, sport fishing and hunting;
- riding motorcycles.
It is important that in tourist areas, where there is everything you need for such activities, there are many helpers who, for a fee, will give a try in active activities even to those who have not done it before.
As for shopping, in major cities it is very successful. In the capital there is a whole street, the name of which is translated as Independence Avenue, and it is a big bazaar – on both sides there are stalls, where there is everything – from clothing to national souvenirs.
For those who love handicrafts, the Zuma market offers wooden items and embroidered fabrics, as well as jewelry with authentic stones from the nearby mines. There are in large cities and shopping centers, but it is more interesting to visit the markets, because then you can experience the national atmosphere, and perhaps buy something unique, not mass, which can be brought as a gift.
The national cuisine of the republic is a combination of Malay traditions and African cuisine. In Madagascar, a lot of rice is consumed, with meat, seafood, vegetables and even cheese to complement the rice dishes. The characteristic spice is hot green pepper – so tourists with a delicate gastrointestinal tract should be careful before ordering a dish.
Unusual for our tourist will be to try a dish of antelope meat. And in Madagascar, there are many restaurants of French cuisine (a consequence of colonization) – for example, in the capital there are chic French restaurants, such as La Varangue.
Top tips for traveling to Madagascar
If you’ve already planned a trip to Madagascar in 2022, here’s what you need to know extra to make your trip comfortable:
- the country’s monetary system is still somewhat chaotic: some places mention ariari, which never came into circulation, but in general the tourist only needs to have francs, and in small denominations, as it will be impossible to change large money in the province;
- When buying jewelry, it is necessary to take a certificate of export from the seller or in the store to show it at customs;
- When visiting places of worship should dress modestly, as well as on the island, it is undesirable to wear clothes in military style – such tourists can even stop the law enforcement agencies;
- You should take the necessary medicine, as well as to stock up on antiseptic and sunscreen.
The cost of travel to Madagascar.
So, you need to know that during the driest season the cost of accommodation and recreation in Madagascar increases significantly, so if you plan to go to the island in 2022, it is better to make a reservation in advance. The price for a holiday during the high season can reach 90,000 rubles.
Despite the December rains, prices in December are not too lower, because many people visit this amazing island on vacations and vacations. The cost will depend on the specific city, as well as the number of additional activities: booking a car, visiting places in different parts of the country and so on. The main thing is one thing: to understand that Madagascar can provide the tourist with a vacation to suit all tastes.
Resorts in Madagascar
Spend your winter vacations on sunny white beaches, swim in the warm ocean waters, to dive into a fairy tale every average person dreams. Fulfill these dreams can be an extraordinary natural wonder – the island of Madagascar. Exotic flora and fauna, mountain ranges with fantastically beautiful landscapes, unique canyons with waterfalls and lakes, picturesque local villages and, of course, the sea, sun and beach give you the best resorts Madagascar.
The best places for recreation in Madagascar
For the most part, all recreation areas have a typical look and somewhat similar beach areas, but differ significantly in price and quality of infrastructure. Traveling with a map of Madagascar, you can choose a resort that will excite the imagination, give maximum pleasure and unforgettable emotions.
Let’s briefly dwell on the most famous Malagasy vacation spots:
- Antananarivo. The most visited resort on the island is undoubtedly the capital city. It is spread over three hills at an altitude of 1400 meters above sea level. Given this location, hiking along the local trails will give tourists gorgeous scenery and a lot of positive emotions. The resort of Antananarivo combines fresh mountain air, many cultural, historical and architectural sites, and a huge number of unique natural sites. There is a vibrant tourist scene in this bustling resort.
- Nusi-Be. This world-famous resort, which is located on the island of the same name, is often chosen by tourists for a great vacation with friends. By day you can relax on the golden beaches under the spread of coconut palms, in the evening – a romantic dinner at European-class restaurants, and all night, not sleeping a wink, to light up in the nightclubs. There are plenty of cultural activities to enjoy, including visiting the Marodoka ruins, the Lukube Nature Reserve and the Center for Ocean Exploration.
- Mahadzanga. This largest port on the island is considered the most famous health resort in Madagascar. Not for nothing does its name translate as “bringing healing”. The balneological trend here is very well developed. Tourists can go for procedures applying artificial and natural water mineral springs. There are also recreational activities using fresh water. Apart from the pleasant and useful therapeutic sessions the city attracts tourists with the interesting architecture of ancient buildings, mosques, century-old baobabs.
- Sainte-Marie. It is ideal for a romantic trip and a honeymoon. A small island with wide white-white beaches, sheltered from the eyes of the caves and beautiful coconut palms – a real paradise, which will give an excellent holiday and an unforgettable experience. It is worth noting that the island is not devoid of civilization. There are good restaurants where couples can go for a romantic dinner. And a huge selection of nightclubs and casinos with an entertainment program will not let you get bored until morning.
- Maruanzetra. Madagascar is without exaggeration called the most attractive place for eco-tourism. Fans of exotic kinds of recreation can safely go to this small town, where pristine nature is combined with modern hotels and unique colonial architecture. On the territory of Maruanzetra is the main entrance to Masuala National Park, consisting of wet tropics, marine area, marshes and mangroves. This resort of Madagascar gives tourists unique photos of rare animals, birds and insects.
- Isle of Iranias. It will appeal to lovers of scuba diving. The resort, which consists of two islands, covered with coconut palms and tropical flowers. Excellent diving off the coast of Nusi-Irania presents a meeting with moray eels, lobsters, sea turtles and grouper. Diving into the waters, you can also admire the many different corals. Walks on the shore, boat cruises, and tours of the surrounding area will be interesting. In addition, the resort has comfortable hotels and luxury chalets.
- Murundawa. Among the couple of hundreds of tourists there are bound to be those who go to Madagascar to bask on the white beaches among the palm trees. Not far from the capital is a magnificent resort, which is considered one of the center of the island. This corner of Madagascar with magnificent beaches is considered an ideal place for holidays with children, because of the clean sand and safe for swimming enclosed lagoons. Humpback whales can be found off the coast of Murundawa. But the main attraction of the resort is an alley of thousand-year-old baobabs.
Beaches of Madagascar offers its guests an unforgettable vacation. White sand, warm sea, an interesting world of underwater fauna and flora attract lovers of exotic recreation. Diving, water sports, surfing, snorkeling are available to any tourist.
A trip to Madagascar is first of all a visit to the island’s natural attractions, of which there are many. Appreciate the most beautiful parks, rich fauna and spectacular scenery can be a fascinating tour, a list of which we have compiled for you.
A trip to a foreign country is always good to combine with local holidays, festivals and folk festivals – it helps to better understand the culture and traditions of the natives. Going on a trip to Madagascar, ask what, when and how the local residents celebrate.
Tourists go to Madagascar for its beautiful, unique nature. It also includes the rivers of the island – slow and shallow, but surprisingly picturesque. For you, we have prepared a list of the most attractive from a tourist point of view, the rivers of Madagascar.