Las Vegas sights: see what to see in Vegas, Nevada + hotels and things to do | Las Vegas
The sights of Las Vegas are sometimes the most striking impressions of a whole trip to the States. Memorable and attractive, like an oasis in the desert, they leave a long lasting memory. The main thing is to figure out what in this chaos of excitement is really worthwhile, and what – just a fake that will not stand the test of time. Here is an overview of the best and most popular attractions of the fabulous Las Vegas, which every tourist coming to Nevada must see. We’re talking about the famous casino hotels, the natural attractions near Vegas, and the many attractions and shows of Sin City. Traveling with this list, you can definitely get a taste of the most gambling city in the United States, and you’ll know for sure that you’ve seen everything in Las Vegas.
What are the attractions in Las Vegas
First of all we should say that you just need to play blackjack in the casino, make a roulette bet, or at least once walk up to one of the slot machines (they are called one-armed bandits in the olden days), which are waiting for travelers right at the airport and are located on every corner of the city, as well as on the border with other states in border towns. Originally Las Vegas in the early 20th century and was created as the gambling capital of the United States. However, by the present day it has changed greatly, and from small isolated casinos it has grown into a rich collection of themed hotels and entertainment complexes to literally suit every taste, where you not only bet, but also go to concerts of famous singers, popular artists and circus performers.
In Las Vegas, we were very interesting!
So if the spirit of gambling is not alien to you, then maybe you should play a little at the casinos in Las Vegas. But be careful, because luck is a tricky lady!
What else is there to see in Las Vegas? For those who don’t like to gamble, but the atmosphere of Vegas is still enticing. Let me tell you right away: go to the main entertainment street of Vegas – the Strip – it’s one huge attraction 6.5 km long!
Here’s what to do in Las Vegas :
- Go to one of the shows of the world’s most famous Cirque du Soleil.
- Explore intriguing museums and theme parks with your kids, such as the Adventuredome or the Shark Reef Aquarium.
- Attend a concert of your favorite artists and musicians – Celine Dion, Ricky Martin, Britney Spears, Jennifer Lopez, Bon Jovi – they all perform in Vegas regularly.
- Or buy a ticket to a magicians and wizards show.
- Visit the lion kennel at the Mirage or MGM Grand.
- Bypass all the popular casino hotels in Las Vegas to take a trip around the world without leaving the confines of Nevada: Paris, Milan, Venice, New York, Egypt, ancient Rome, the tropical Caribbean, or a medieval castle – all this is available in Vegas! Check out our review of the best hotels here →
- Tickle your nerves with a roller coaster ride or jump off the Stratosphere Tower. You can also fly like a bird with a zip line!
The roller coaster in Las Vegas
As you can see, Las Vegas is full of the most interesting entertainment, activities, shows and tours. It takes more than a day to visit just a few of them. If you travel around the United States on your own, I advise you to stay in Sin City for a few days, in a nice hotel, and take a leisurely look at the most interesting things to see in Las Vegas. Well, for those who came on a tour, I recommend listening to everything carefully during the tour and then spending your free time with maximum benefit.
The most popular attractions and entertainment at Las Vegas hotels
Now let’s talk about all the most popular attractions in Las Vegas in more detail.
1. Bellagio Fountains
Let’s start with the most famous sight in Las Vegas – the Bellagio Fountains, which are located right in front of the entrance to the Bellagio Hotel. The entire complex is a replica of the amazing villas of Northern Italy, where you can walk through the art galleries and visit Lake Como, one of the main sources of inspiration for Italian art.
Dancing Fountains in Las Vegas
The Bellagio fountains are located right on the surface of this lake. Beautiful geysers (1,200 in number) shoot jets of water into the air every half hour during the day, and every fifteen minutes in the evening (until midnight), and dance to a variety of music, from Gene Kelly to Michael Jackson. There are two ways to see the Bellagio Fountains in Las Vegas:
- While walking along the lake in the middle of the Strip;
- From the window of a hotel or restaurant** located near the Bellagio Fountains.
** Reservations at restaurants near the Bellagio fountains should be made in advance.
The best places to see the dancing fountains in Las Vegas are The Eifel Tower (Hotel Paris) and Giada (Hotel Cromwell).
2. extreme jumps into the sky from the Stratosphere Tower (Thrill Rides)
If you are afraid of heights then you should not climb the Stratosphere Tower that is located 350 meters above Las Vegs and that can be seen from almost every corner of the city. But those who are brave and want to get a boost of adrenaline and experience extreme emotions can try to soar up a rocket at an unusual attraction Big Shot – a giant jump of 49 meters up to the stratosphere! It is not just a challenge, but also an opportunity to feel the moment of weightlessness at the peak of the jump.
But that’s not all there is to it as Stratosphere Tower in Las Vegas has other exciting rides for those who like to test themselves and tickle their nerves. X Scream will spin you over the city on a giant arm, and Insanity will begin to chaotically release above the ground and lift you back up at various angles with flips.
You can also jump off the Stratosphere Tower from the largest bungee jump in the world. Skydiving SkyJump is a head-jump from a height of 253 meters, which is very popular in Vegas.
If you want to experience this unforgettable experience, I recommend staying at the Stratosphere Hotel.
Here is what the ticket prices are for the rides at Stratosphere:
- Admission to the Stratosphere Tower is $20 for adults; children ages 3 to 12 get in for a $12 ticket. Discount coupons are available for those staying in a Stratosphere hotel room, and admission is only $5;
- An all-day pass (includes admission to the Tower) costs $39.95;
- The price for three rides on Big Shot, X Scream and Insanity is $35, two rides cost $30, and you can try just one for $25;
- Sky Jump will cost from $100 to $119 per person.
3. Ride a gondola in Venice ( Hotel The Venetian )
One of the most popular places in Las Vegas is the Venetian Casino Hotel that recreates the atmosphere and architecture of the North Italian city on the water. There is Piazza San Marco, the Rialto Bridge, and of course there are gondola rides on the canals.
You can take a gondola ride in the Hotel Venezia
What do tourists usually do in Italian Venice? Of course they ride gondolas with a gondolier, colorfully dressed in costume from the time of the Venetian Republic. Likewise, in American Venice in the middle of Las Vegas, you can take a gondola ride down the canals along the houses and listen to Italian serenade songs.
Gondolas in Las Vegas depart from St. Mark’s Square. Rides start at $21.
The Venetian, a 5-star hotel in Las Vegas
4. Madame Tussauds Las Vegas
The first Madame Tussauds wax museum in the United States has hundreds of statues of stars that are exact replicas of celebrities. It is located in the Grand Canal Shoppes building next to The Venetian Hotel. Most of the American celebrities of different times can be seen here. Of their contemporaries, Nikki Minaj, Will Smith, Johnny Depp, Ricky Martin, Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt, Lady Gaga and many others are represented here in the form of wax figures.
The Madame Tussauds Museum in Las Vegas is open from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., on Friday and Saturday until 10 p.m., and on Thursday, a meek day, it closes at 4 p.m. It sometimes hosts special events and hours of operation may change. Cost to attend: $29.95 for adults, and tickets for children (ages 4-12) are $19.95. Family tickets for two parents and two children will cost $80.
See Madame Tussauds’ official website for all the details.
5. Go to one of the shows of Cirque du Soleil
Performances of the world famous circus Cirque du Soleil take place in Las Vegas in several venues at once. So you can purchase tickets and attend several unique shows on different days. The best place to stay is at the MGM Grand or the Bellagio.
If you want to see certain shows, it is better to book tickets in advance, because all the shows are designed for the interests of different visitors, and even though the price is high, they run out quickly.
Children in Las Vegas will love the water acrobats and clowns of Cirque du Soleil’s O and Ka shows and adults will appreciate the magic of Mystere shows. Fans of the Beatles will, of course, choose Love and fans of Michael Jackson will buy tickets for the show One.
Here’s a list of all the Cirque du Soleil shows you can see in Las Vegas:
- Mystère at the Treasure Island Hotel
- The ‘O’ at the Bellagio
- Zumanity at the New York-New York
- KÀ at the MGM Grand,
- Love at the Mirage
- Criss Angel Believe in Luxor
- Zarkana at Aria.
For more information see Cirque du Soleil website → Calendar of events
Things to Do in Las Vegas: Where to Go and What to See
Here are the other things to do in Las Vegas, things to see and places to go near Las Vegas that are worth seeing in detail.
Go rock climbing in Red Rock Canyon or Valley of Fire, not far from Las Vegas.
Near Las Vegas are two amazing parks with curious sandstone formations: Red Rock Canyon and Valley of Fire. If you arrive in the morning, you can see how the rocks are colored so bright red or reddish, as if engulfed by fire. Driving along the main landmarks and trekking to the curious and hidden geological formations can take as much as half a day or all daylight.
Valley of Fire is just outside of Las Vegas
A visit to Red Rock Canyon is $7, a ticket to Valley of Fire is $10.
2. Take a tour of the Grand Canyon.
The Grand Canyon is the most famous natural attraction in the U.S. and is located in Arizona, not very far from Las Vegas. Officially the Grand Canyon is called the Grand Canyon for a reason. It really is huge! From Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon you can go to different viewpoints. On the way, stop at Lake Mead and check out Hoover Dam.
- The closest drive is to the so-called West Rim of the Grand Canyon, where there is a Skywalk observation deck with a transparent floor, which is located on the Hulapai Indian Reservation. Travel time from Las Vegas will take about 2 hours one way. How to get to the Grand Canyon from Las Vegas? You can buy a bus tour to the Grand Canyon (from $120 per person, it’s advantageous to go alone), fly over it in a helicopter (about $500 per person), or rent a car to go alone (for two people will be cheaper than by bus). I recommend looking at prices and booking a car here.
- The most visited part of the Grand Canyon National Park is South Rim. It is worth going there for two days by car, so you don’t regret not fully enjoying the beauty. You should book a hotel near the Grand Canyon beforehand, or stay at a lodge or campsite right in the park. Read all the details in the article.
- And the farthest but also the most beautiful North Rim of the Grand Canyon is best visited with other attractions nearby – Bryce Canyon and Zion National Parks, for example, or drive further into the town of Page to see the famous Antelope Canyon.
Read detailed articles with practical information about going to the Grand Canyon:
3. relax in the spa at a top-notch hotel or lounge by the pool
Tired of the city? Why not immerse yourself in a beach vacation in the Caribbean at the Mandalay Bay Hotel? Great beach and pool parties are traditionally held in Vegas from April through October. And with kids, you can head to the wonderful Wet’n’Wild water park.
Vegas spas offer all sorts of ways to relax after a tiring night’s entertainment. Hot stone massages or clay wraps, Himalayan salt caves or facials with fire and ice. Choose the best hotels with the best spas, such as the Four Seasons or the Mandarin Oriental, famous for its Chinese massages.
4. Take a zip-line ride over the Mojave Desert
You can zipline right from the top of the Red Mountain near the city of Boulder. The entire zipline ride is 2.5 kilometers long and reaches speeds of up to 96 kilometers per hour! The cost of the flight is from $160. On this trip, you’ll get a bird’s eye view of Las Vegas and Lake Mead. Intrigued? Contact Bootleg Canyon Zipline .
In Vegas itself, you can also ride the zipline, the SlotZilla Line in Downtown on Fremont Street. Tickets range from $25 (zipline) to $45 (zumline).
Read an in-depth article about all the interesting places near Vegas:
More Landmark Attractions in Las Vegas, USA
Now I’ll talk about other Las Vegas attractions that may not be as famous as those described above, but are definitely interesting and worthy of attention for independent travelers.
- Fremont Street Exsperience deserves its own story. It is a sound and light show that takes place in the evening every hour on the first street of Vegas, Fremont Street. On the pedestrian section of the street, you can watch an interesting show on numerous screens and to music pouring from 208 sound speakers. It’s an immersion in history, in the neon lights of which it’s like going back in time to the spirit of old Vegas. Here you can see its first casinos and walk from one to the other along this loud and bright street.
- The High Roller in Las Vegas is the tall Ferris wheel at The LINQ Hotel. The 168 meters is still a world record but soon China or Dubai will build higher rides. Hurry up and take a ride! Tickets to the Las Vegas Ferris Wheel cost $25 during the day and $35 at night.
High Roller Ferris Wheel
Lastly I suggest you to watch an interesting video about the sights of Las Vegas:
It is worth seeing with your own eyes. Las Vegas sights.
Las Vegas is the epicenter of fun and club life. The city that never sleeps. A city that is made for entertainment and lives by it. Below are some of the most memorable and incomparable Las Vegas attractions that everyone will want to see.
“Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas.
“Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas.
“Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas” is a sign that greets visitors to the city upon entering. It was made in the middle of the last century and is still relevant. It is needed in order to put the city’s guests in a playful joyful mood. In the glitter of lights at night Las Vegas sign looks even more bright, striking its spectacular beauty.
“Las Vegas Natural History Museum
“Las Vegas Natural History Museum
“Las Vegas Natural History Museum. The Natural History Museum is for those who want to experience nature in all its diversity. Visitors to the museum can look at the stuffed animals, which, incidentally, look very realistic. Also, by pressing a button, you can hear the sounds made by these very animals. Anyone can see a wide variety of fauna from dinosaurs to modern animals. There are special activities designed for young visitors to the museum to keep them even more entertained and educated.
For those who have gone to Las Vegas to have a delightful time at colorful casinos and mesmerizing nightclubs, there is the Strip Boulevard. All the variety of Las Vegas hot spots are concentrated here. When heading to the Strip Boulevard, a must-see is the Luxor Resort & Casino, the most luxurious and stunning casino hotel in Las Vegas. Its design reflects all the beauty and luxury of ancient Egypt. Sphinxes, pyramids, unusual architecture. Yes, this is definitely the place that is a must-see.
Red Rock Canyon
Red Rock Canyon
Tired of the constant fun and parties of Las Vegas, guests can head to this truly beautiful place. Red Rock Canyon is located in the Mojave Desert. The beauty of nature here is simply mesmerizing. It is impossible to take your eyes off the colorful mountains. It is very rare chance to meet animals here. But be careful, it is important to watch your step, there are snakes.
Shelby American Museum
Shelby American Museum
For those who love vintage cars there is no better place to visit. Here you can get for free. Everyone can admire the beauty and grace of beautiful cars of the past. And to learn more about how the cars were made, the museum has a guide. Rarely can you see so many beautiful and stylish cars in one place.
Fremont Street Experience Screen
Fremont Street Experience Screen
Fans of unusual technology will be thrilled with the arch-shaped screen that spans several blocks. The colorfulness of the large-scale screen is impressive. The movie screen shows video with sound and light. Two hundred speakers are used for this purpose. Such a large-scale movie screen is not available anywhere else, it is definitely worth a look when you go to Las Vegas.
Dig This Amusement Park
Dig This Amusement Park
Dig This amusement park. The name itself suggests that the park is construction style. It’s full of bright yellow rides in the style of construction equipment. Visitors to the park are provided with helmets. It’s worth noting that there are strict age controls at the entrance, so, not everyone can get in here. But for those who do visit, a fun time is guaranteed.
Of course, Las Vegas is a city of endless entertainment and all sorts of iconic places. And above we have described just a few of them, the most colorful and diverse, which are worth seeing with your own eyes. Every tourist will love visiting them all. And Las Vegas will forever remain in his heart.