Holidays at the Dead Sea in Israel: prices, features and tips
The Dead Sea – a drainless salt lake in the Middle East, which neighbors such countries as Israel and Jordan, as well as the partially recognized state of Palestine. It is the body of water with the highest salinity in the world, ranging from 300 to 350‰ in different years. When compared to popular resorts, for example, the salinity of the Mediterranean Sea does not exceed 40 ‰. A third of one liter of sea water is salt, which is why it is very difficult to drown here, the water pushes people to the surface. Holidays at the Dead Sea – primarily health and beauty treatments, as well as attractions and beach relaxation.
Features of Recreation
The Dead Sea is one of the most mysterious bodies of water. For a long time it was maintained that the water here is not suitable for fish and plants. However, in the 20th century it was discovered more than 70 species of protozoa. The second amazing fact about the sea – the water is always warm. This can be explained by the presence of hot springs, from which besides the hot streams also erupt salt and rocks.
Useful to know! Mud at the Dead Sea has a therapeutic effect, so tourists are enveloped in it. The healing effect is due to the high content of bromides, slight – sulfates.
About the sea in numbers:
- The area of the body of water – 810 km ²;
- length 67 km;
- width 18 km;
- The deepest depth is 377 m;
- The coast is 427 m below sea level, which is the lowest place on the planet.
There are many interesting places around the sea – the ancient manuscripts in the Qumran caves, national parks, the reserve Muji, the fortress of Masada and the cave of Lot.
Rest and treatment
Dead Sea resorts in Israel have no analogues on the planet. The chemical composition of the water is represented by a rich set of elements – chlorides of potassium, calcium, magnesium, sodium, bromides. The water contains two dozen minerals and salts. Silt formations are rich in minerals – iodine, bromine, hormone-like substances.
The Dead Lake climate is useful for people with increased fatigue, pathologies of musculoskeletal system, heart, nervous system. It is recommended to rest here for patients after surgeries to restore their health.
Indications for a trip to the Dead Sea:
According to statistics, 90% of skin diseases can be cured in the resorts and clinics of the Dead Sea. At the same time, the course of therapy significantly reduces the likelihood of disease relapse.
A person receives comprehensive treatment – bathing, healing mud and safe sun exposure. The climate and natural conditions are effective for eczema and atopic dermatitis.
Treatment is performed applying different methods, namely mineral and thermal procedures, wraps and compresses with therapeutic muds, mineral and thermal baths.
Holidays at the Dead Sea in Israel are recommended for patients undergoing heart surgeries. A few weeks spent here will stabilize the heart muscle and the entire cardiovascular system, which is very important in the postoperative period.
At the Dead Sea, the air contains 8% more oxygen than anywhere else. The treatment of respiratory pathologies is particularly effective here. Even patients who normally require a certain oxygen regime, at this sea can breathe calmly and independently. Also improves the chemical composition of the blood.
Important: At the Dead Sea, the atmospheric pressure is high, so the blood pressure is normalized rather quickly.
Dead Sea Cosmetics
Near the sea many laboratories where they create unique cosmetics for the care of the body, face, hands and hair. All cosmetic products are based on sea minerals, spa saloons offer their visitors a complex of revitalizing and cosmetic procedures applying salts, gels, creams, balsams, shampoos, masks. Individual cosmetic programmes are worked out at the therapies taking into account patient’s skin type and condition as well as health. Each programme is designed for a particular period of stay at the resort, solving a certain problem.
Note: Some hotels offer spa procedures and their price is already included in the rent. However, if you want to undergo an extended course of procedures, deeper rejuvenation and recovery of the body, it is better to turn to a clinic.
When to go to the Dead Sea in Israel, depending on the disease:
|Psoriasis||From early spring to late fall|
|Eczema, acne||Throughout the year, except during the second half of summer|
|Musculoskeletal disorders||Throughout the year|
|ENT diseases||Throughout the year|
|Chronic Fatigue Syndrome||From autumn to March|
|Endocrine system disorders||Throughout the year|
|Illnesses of neurological character||From autumn to late spring|
|Diseases of the digestive system||Throughout the year|
|Cosmetic procedures||Throughout the year|
Note: It is contraindicated for children under six years old to bathe in salt water.
Weather, when it’s better to go for recovery
Recreation on the coast is comfortable, regardless of the season. Even in winter, the water stays warm, not below +20°C, thanks to the hot springs.
During the winter months in the morning and evening it rains, it is the only nuance that can spoil the impression of the trip. Given this fact, the most favorable period for the trip is from mid-spring to mid-autumn. In July and August the weather becomes too hot, so those who cannot bear high temperatures should better plan a trip for another time.
Useful! For a good healing effect in the sea should be at least a quarter of an hour, then you need to wash off the salt from the body.
A feature of the resorts is the absence of ultraviolet light, respectively, it is impossible to get burnt, and the tan is uniform and beautiful. This phenomenon is explained by two factors:
- The lake is located in the lowest place on the planet;
- evaporation forms a filter, through it does not penetrate the ultraviolet.
Resorts of the Dead Sea in Israel
The main feature of the resorts – it is not a big city, not a village. Full-fledged tourist resort is one – Ein Bokek. Also in the category of resort places include Neve Zoar. Another tourist town Arad is located 25 km from the sea, there are also certain advantages for vacationers.
Many hotels and pensions are located in Ein Bokek. In Neve Zoar there are far fewer hotels, but each offers an impressive selection of health and beauty treatments. If you prefer an active holiday, choose Ein Gedi. This resort is called the blooming oasis of the Dead Sea. On its territory there are nature reserves with unique plants and rare animals. It is in Ein Gedi where there are fresh water springs.
Important: The average price of one night in a 3*** hotel from 111 $, and in a hotel 5 ***** – from 238 $.
Just resting by the salt sea-lake, you already get a free treatment due to the climate, the special composition of sea water and mild sunlight. Above the lake formed a healing microclimate, useful for many diseases, so the time spent on the beaches of the sea, no doubt, will affect the state of health.
Many hotels have spa centers where you can undergo a course of cosmetic procedures, relax in seawater pools, saunas and massage rooms. If you want to undergo a more in-depth treatment, will have to visit a special clinic, but here the services are all paid.
Prices for holidays in Israel at the Dead Sea:
- massage – from $50 to $105;
- peeling – from $50 to $100;
- hydrogen sulfide pool – $ 14;
- steam procedures – from $208 to $277;
- combined treatments – $97 to $110;
- complex treatments – from $150 to $170;
- beauty salon services – from $20.
Important! If the hotel does not have a spa center, guests are given special cards to visit beauty treatments at other hotels.
The settlement is positioned as a spa resort, so there are at least 4-star hotels with a wide range of health and beauty treatments. Accommodation will cost from $99. You can also pick up a more budget-friendly option for double occupancy – a caravan house or apartment. In addition to the hotels at the resort, there are:
- health, medical clinics;
- stores, shopping centers;
- most of the beaches belong to the hotels, there is one free public beach;
- restaurants, bars, cafes.
Ein Bokek – the main health resort of the sea, so there is no noisy entertainment venues.
Tip: Be sure to take a tour of Ein Bokek. The route is best to start from the dried-up river bed of Nahal Bokek. As you walk, take in the rapidly changing scenery. Climb up to the remains of the outpost, from where you can take beautiful pictures.
A detailed description of the resort with photos can be found on this page.
The resort is located at an altitude of about 600 m above sea level. There are also spas in hotels, and medical centers. If you are interested in a homey, secluded atmosphere, book an apartment or a small house. Accommodation in a separate apartment will cost from $ 70. Room rates at a 4-star hotel start at $114 and at a 5-star hotel at $156.
- According to UNESCO it is the cleanest city on the planet;
- Accommodation and food prices are not as high as in Ein Bokek;
- accommodation is available in a variety of price ranges;
- Dry air, so it is easier to breathe;
- a lot of Russian-speaking people.
The only drawback – remoteness from the sea (25 km), for this reason the city is not always called a Dead Sea Resort.
Good to know! To get from Arad to the coast you can rent a car or take public transport (bus number 384 and 421, the fare is about $ 6).
The city of Arad is described in more detail here.
The resort is an extension of Ein Bokek (only 3 km to the north). There are few hotels here, each with its own beach. There is also a spa center and cosmetics store. There is also a good selection of guest houses, apartments. The average price of accommodation at the resort from $82.
4 reasons to go to Neve Zoar:
- Visiting a healing clinic;
- Recreation on the beaches;
- Enjoying the solitude and quiet (Neve-Zoar – the most sparsely populated place in Israel);
- exciting excursions.
Important: Hotels are within 2 km of the resort, and in Neve-Zoar there are only apartments and guest houses.
All the details about rest in the resort of Neve Zoar are collected in this article.
- The Dead Sea is a unique place in many ways – climate, scenery, geographical location. Resorts are more focused on a measured, relaxing vacation.
- When booking a hotel, it is preferable to choose full board, as the menu at restaurants is not always impressive.
- It is most convenient to explore the surroundings by renting a car. Car rental is better to visit the airport, it will save time and money on the transfer and road to the hotel.
- To lie on your back in the water, you need to lean back a little and pull your knees to your chest (grouped). To get on your feet, pull your feet up to your chest again, and the water itself will push you upright.
- Specialists do not recommend swimming on your stomach, in this case the head is strongly deflected back.
- If possible, it is necessary to avoid getting water on your face.
- Be sure to have a shower gel or regular soap to wash off the salt from the skin. Of course, you can buy toiletries in local stores, but the price is usually inflated.
- In souvenir shops a wide range of cosmetics based on the minerals of the salt lake. You can even buy therapeutic mud – the price of a bag of about 15 shekels. The price of soap – about 10 shekels a piece.
- The price of recreation in Israel at the Dead Sea, depending on the season almost does not change. If you book your own accommodation, the price in the winter months is reduced by 25%-40%.
- Price of a week trip when staying at a 3-star hotel from $ 1500. If you book a room at a 4-star hotel, the price goes up to $1,700.
- The resorts are hot all year round, so do not forget about the headgear and water, drink at least 1.5 liters of clean water.
- In the Dead Sea-Lake you can swim twice a day for no longer than 20 minutes, if you spend more time in the water, you may feel worse.
- Be sure to take rubber shoes to the beach for swimming.
Holidays at the Dead Sea may soon become inaccessible, because the water level is gradually decreasing. Experts predict that in 60-70 years there will be no sea. So the opportunity to spend time in one of the most amazing places in the world is better to use today.
A short video about the treatment of wellness resorts in Israel at the Dead Sea:
Author: Julia Matyukhina
Updated: 1 Apr, 2019 Ein Bokek (Israel) is a resort city on the western shore of…
Updated: 1 Apr, 2019 Neve Zohar in Israel is one of the best maintained and…
Updated: 27 Sep, 2021 In the Croatian national cuisine can be distinguished 2 main…
Updated: May 3, 2021 Leukerbad (Switzerland) is a resort village located high in the…