The best beaches in Sardinia – a dreamer’s guide
The island of Sardinia (Sardegna) is above all more than 180 km of diverse beaches. Sandy and pebbly, white and pink, landscaped and wild, the beaches of Sardinia are characterized by clean water and coast and beautiful scenery.
Whether you are guided by a friend’s advice, travel agency advertising or choose a beach at random on the island map, an unforgettable vacation is guaranteed. List the best beaches in Sardinia – a difficult task, there are more than three hundred, and each is good in its own way, but we will try.
The Emerald Coast Costa Smeralda
Costa Smeralda is the most fashionable beach area on the map of Sardinia. Located in the northeastern part of the island. It takes its name from the Lebanese billionaire prince Aga Khan, who bought the land here in 1960. The prince has built a large resort area, including a yacht club “Costa Smeralda”.
Porto Cervo is rightly considered the pearl of the Emerald Coast. Has a well-developed infrastructure and Europe’s best marinas. Popular recreation place of the “rich and famous.
- Princes beach (Spiaggia del Principe) is named after the Aga Khan. It is sandy, has a horseshoe shape, a gentle descent and granite bottom.
- Liscia Ruja beach, with its shallow bay, white and pink sand and surrounding strawberry and juniper trees. It is ideal for families with small children.
- Further south is Petra Ruja, the pink beach of the Emerald Coast. The shards and shells of the picturesque red rocks along the coast give it such a hue.
Hotels Porto Cervo – the best in Sardinia, many elite and expensive, but there are budget accommodation options. Well-equipped and not too expensive hotels Balocco Hotel and Colonna Park Hotel are within walking distance of the beach.
Porto Rotondo is popular with diving enthusiasts and former Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi. His villa Certosa is located in Porto Rotondo and has access to the sea. The best beaches of Porto Rotondo are Marinella and Ira with silky white sand and interestingly shaped rocks. The most suitable holiday for those who are keen on water sports.
Porto Rotondo offers tourists comfortable hotels, the price varies depending on the season and proximity to the beach. The cozy and inexpensive Hotel S’Astore is located 2 km from Marinella Beach.
Baia Sardinia is the busiest resort on the Emerald Coast. Located opposite the archipelago of La Maddalena. It attracts tourists with its bustling nightlife and wonderful Aquadream water park. The beautiful and picturesque beaches of Baia Sardinia are covered in pink porphyry from the nearby rocks. The Hotel Mon Repos is only 100 meters from the beach.
Santa Teresa di Gallura
Santa Teresa di Gallura is the northernmost resort of Sardinia, the closest to Corsica and the Apennine Peninsula, so it is loved by Italians. The beaches of Santa Teresa di Gallura are spread among the proud cliffs, the most popular is Rena Bianca with white sand and turquoise water. The hotels L’Ancora and Corralaro are 200 meters from the coast, offering boats for boat trips. The best option for those vacationing with small children is the resort complex Colonna Grand Hotel Capo Testa. This complex includes two hotels with private beaches, SPA center and thallasotherapy, a mini club and swimming pool for children.
Archipelago of La Maddalena
La Maddalena Archipelago – located near the north-east coast of Sardinia, was declared a National Park of Italy in 1996. Here you can enjoy the beauty of the Mediterranean in its original form. It has good transport links with the Costa Smeralda, the closest resort is Baia Sardinia, where you can reach the archipelago by car over the bridge or by boat from any of the local beaches.
- Maddalena is the largest and only inhabited island of the archipelago. The sandy beach and clear turquoise depths attract divers, and the historic center with its many ancient buildings – lovers of architecture.
- On the island of Budelli there is a pink beach-reserve Spiagga Rosa. The sand has this color because of the decaying shells of clams. Some images from Michelangelo Antonioni’s film “Il Deserto Rosso” were filmed here. Entry and exit to the beach is forbidden, you can only admire from afar by booking a boat ride.
- The sailing school Velico and the house-museum of Giuseppe Garibaldi are the main attractions of Caprera. The island’s cozy coves are perfect for fishing and romantic swimming for two.
Coral Riviera Alghero
Coral Riviera Alghero includes beaches:
- Central Beach Lido (Lido di Alghero), a great option for those who want to combine the delights of city life with a beach vacation. The city is known as “little Barcelona”, tourists will enjoy the Catalan architecture and the eternal atmosphere of the holiday.
- The sands of the Burantin beach have a heart-shaped curve.
- The beach of Le Bombarde is especially loved by locals. The water is clear and the air, which smells of pine-tree pine around, is curative.
The hotels in El Faro Alghero have a wonderful history and have been a resting place for Elizabeth Taylor and Anthony Quinn. The Villa Las Tronas Algero spa hotel is located in an old building and is suitable for a secluded vacation.
- I suggest you read my review of the best hotels in Algero near the beach
- A few kilometers from Oristano are the “rice” beaches of Mari Ermi and Is Arutas. Both are covered with small quartz pebbles, which resemble rice. The quartz is mainly white, with inclusions of green, yellow and gray, which looks very beautiful and unusual. It is forbidden to take out pebbles, the offender faces a fine of 500 euros. The infrastructure is completely absent, there are no hotels and restaurants within walking distance, the beach does not even have sun loungers. Sunbathing will have to lie down on quartz, which is extremely useful.
- Putzu Idu is an open beach with fine sand and long waves, a real paradise for surfers.
Accommodation options in Oristano are many, good and relatively inexpensive hotels Mistral2 and Villa Delle Rose.
Cagliari is the capital of Sardinia. The city is notable for its historical and architectural monuments.
- The beach Poetto is the largest in Italy, is about 8 km long. Due to its location within the city is well developed infrastructure: many bars, discos, open-air cinema, trattorias with take-away food. But because of the large influx of tourists the water can be a bit muddy during the season.
- The beaches of Villasimius in Cagliari province are a great vacation spot for lovers of clean sea and beautiful views. There is another “rice beach” here – Spiagga del Riso.
- Beaches of Costa Rei (Costa Rei) awarded the blue flag of ecologists and recognized as the cleanest in Sardinia.
- The most “long-playing” beach in Sardinia is located 50 km from Cagliari, in the town of Torre delle Stelle (Torre delle Stelle). The season here lasts from April to October, the town is ideal for fans of relaxing holidays.
The Hotel Calamosca in Cagliari has its own beach and terrace overlooking the sea. The hotels La Villa Del Mare and Hotel Villa Sveva are a minute’s walk from Poetto beach.