Snorkeling in Phuket
Phuket’s coastline and nearby islands are ideal for snorkeling. The underwater world is rich in corals and a variety of marine life, and the water is warm and clear. The islands near Phuket are considered some of the best places for snorkeling and diving, but Phuket itself also delights with the beauty and variety of the underwater kingdom. Just need to know the beaches for snorkeling in Phuket. About this we will talk in this article.
The season for snorkeling
The best snorkeling in Phuket is during the dry season (November to April). During this time, the sea is as warm, calm, no big waves, and the water is clear. During the rainy season, visibility underwater deteriorates, and the sea rises big waves. In such weather, diving is not safe, especially near the rocks. The same applies to the nearby islands of Phuket.
The best beaches for snorkeling
In Phuket, snorkeling is most interesting in the following places:
- Kata Beach . This is quite a popular beach among tourists. However, here you can not only swim and sunbathe, but also engage in snorkeling. For diving is best suited to the northern part of Kata Beach, near the cliffs.
- Paradise Beach . It is a small and beautiful beach, but the entrance is paid. The cost is 100 baht per person. The underwater world is quite interesting, but during the high season Paradise Beach is very crowded.
- Freedom Beach . This beach is also great for snorkeling, but it’s hard to get to. It is best to come here in the dry season when there are no big waves. Details about this beach and how to get to it I told in the article Freedom Beach in Phuket.
- The beach Knighton . Here, too, quite interesting snorkeling. But to snorkel on the beach Nayton get only in the dry season, as the rest of the time on the beach rises high waves and swim quite unsafe.
- Banana Beach . This picturesque and not very popular place among tourists. It is almost always calm sea with clear water. The beach Banana is ideal for recreation and snorkeling. It is located between the beaches Knighton and Bang Tao. On the road there is a sign. To get to Banana Beach, go down a fairly steep descent.
- Beach Ya Nui . In the south of Phuket is Ya Nui Beach, where you can observe the underwater world. It is best to snorkel near the rock.
- Ao San Beach . This beach is divided into three parts and is little visited by tourists. Here excellent snorkeling, and this beach also provides diving services.
- Lem Ka Beach . A small beach in the south of Phuket with excellent snorkeling. It is located next to Ravai beach near Evason Resort hotel. There are usually not many people on the beach.
- Lem Sing Beach . Between the beaches of Kamala and Surin is a small picturesque beach Lem Sing. It has a beautiful underwater world and several good restaurants on the shore.
Islands for snorkeling
I can not not tell you about the neighboring islands from Phuket, because the snorkeling there is great. If you have the desire and time, make sure to visit them. The most popular destinations to explore the marine world are:
Similan Islands . These are delightful islands with clear water and a rich underwater world. They are the most popular for snorkeling and diving in the Andaman Sea. It is easier and cheaper to get to them from Phuket with a tour. You can book a tour to the Similan Islands on this site.
Islands of Phi Phi . Phi Phi beaches are ideal for snorkeling. The underwater world of these islands is diverse and beautiful at the same time. Phi Phi Islands are located 30 kilometers from Phuket. How to get to them, I wrote in detail in this article.
Coral Island . Another great island for snorkeling. Its waters are rich in a variety of fish and colorful corals. However, to see all the beauty of the underwater kingdom you must dive from a boat 150 meters from the shore. The island is located 9 km from Phuket. You can book an excursion to Coral Island on this site.
Racha Islands . Near Racha Yai Island you can dive all year round. The water is clear, the coral reefs are colorful, and there are few tourists. The east and west coast of the island is suitable for snorkeling, the most popular place is Bungalow Bay. Racha Yai Island is about 20 kilometers from Phuket.
For snorkeling you will need a mask, snorkel and flippers. The mask must be the right size for you, otherwise it will leak. Therefore, before buying or renting a mask, it is necessary to measure it. Put the mask on, tilt your head down and breathe deeply. If there is no air getting under the mask, there will be no water either. And another tip, don’t get a cheap Chinese mask.
When choosing a snorkel, pay attention to the mouthpiece. It should be comfortable. Before you dive, practice breathing through the tube. There is nothing complicated, but breathing through the tube is still different from the usual.
As for the flippers, they are not a necessary attribute for snorkeling, but to swim with them is much easier and faster.
Almost on any beach in Phuket you can rent the necessary equipment for snorkeling. The cost of renting a mask, snorkel and flippers will be approximately 100-300 baht. The downside of renting equipment is that you can not always find a mask of his size. Buying a mask, snorkel and flippers will cost you 2000-3000 baht.
If you decide to go to the nearest island to Phuket with a tour, all necessary equipment for snorkeling is included in the tour package.