30 best sights in Vologda – descriptions and photos

30 popular attractions in Vologda

Vologda Kremlin

The old city is a tourist find, where you can learn the traditions of the peoples, get a little closer to Russian culture. Vologda is overflowing with sights: museums, churches in a variety of styles, mysterious archaeological finds.

What interesting things to see

a tourist in the city in one day

In one day you can visit the entire complex of wooden architecture, the museum of literature and art of the XX century. You can also stroll through the square, where the monument to the letter “O” is located, relax and enjoy looking at the picturesque landscapes of Vologda. At the end of the trip end with a visit to the famous Church of the Purification.

Old Vologda

Where to go on the second day of the trip? It is worth visiting the famous house of Peter I, the Museum of Vologda lace and the gallery “Red Bridge”. Nearby is a monument to the master of the word Batiushkov, which stands in an area with picturesque scenery and is surrounded by park groves.

Beautiful and famous

Vologda for photo sessions

For a memorable photo shoot in nature, it is worth visiting the park, located away from St. Sophia Cathedral. Here is a good place to relax and feed the ducks. On weekends local youths come here for a walk.

The Big Green Hand

The new art object – an arm-chair

Also inside the Vologda Kremlin, where a beautiful refraction of the light and the observation deck is quite extensive – you can see the whole city. Picturesque views are present in the square and in the area of wooden architecture of Vologda.

Where to go with children

A fun adventure awaits children in the exotarium and rock climbing club. Those who are interested in astronomy will be interested in a tour of the planetarium Miratz. As a cultural education it is worth visiting the museum of lace, the Bryanchaninov estate and the museum “The World of Forgotten Things”.

Mizar Planetarium

In the planetarium four projectors are used at the same time.

You can relax in the neighboring shopping centers Lukomorye, 33 penguins. In the entertainment center Tigrusha, the child can be left under the supervision of the counselors.

What Vologda attractions to visit in winter

A great time to walk around the church sights. In the winter, you can go on a ski trip. Vologda residents use the frozen river for entertainment – as an ice rink and a square for hiking.

Ski run

On the square near the Christmas tree daily sing songs and ditties, round dances, in which you can participate. The bright holiday pictures next to the green forest beauty will decorate your photo album.

What to see on your own near the city

Traveling by car in the Vologda region, the tourist can make his own route and drive to all the sights in the vicinity on the map. A trip to the places of wooden architecture will be remembered by the graceful architecture of Russian houses.

Wooden architecture of Vologda

On the way to town you will meet the museum of forgotten things, the museum of lace and the house of Peter I. Some have time to study the history of the Samarins’ house and walk through the Spaso-Prilutsky monastery.

Vologda is full of architectural sculptures, which are considered the heritage of the Russian people. The city is famous for the beginning of the development of lace weaving, carved mansions made of wood. It rightfully bears the status of the most beautiful city in Russia because of the elegance of its architectural heritage. This place attracts tourists with its picturesque scenery, unique sights and Russian hospitality.

Revolution Square

In 1918 it was decided to unite several intersecting squares in the center of the city: Alexander Square, Spasskaya Square, Sennaya Square. The square was named after the events of 1917. From the beginning of the XVII century, the square had cathedrals, which were destroyed during the Soviet regime. At the moment, all the churches have been restored, in the middle of the square there is a monument “Tooth” – a monument to the victims of the Civil War. Next to the monument the eternal flame is always lit.

Church of the Intercession on Kozlenes

The church was built in 1710 in the Russian baroque style. In the cathedral are preserved old frescoes, which were applied to the walls by Yaroslavl artists. The first mention of the cover is found in 1612. The walls of the church are decorated with later paintings dating from the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th centuries. Historical records contain information about a previous burned temple that stood on this site.

Vologda Drama Theater

The initiator and founder of the theater was B. K. Solovyov – actor, director, entrepreneur and builder of the theater building

The building of the oldest theater in the city was originally rebuilt several times since 1849, and underwent fundamental changes in the facade. In 1974, a team of architects and engineers developed the last image of the dramatic theater that exists today. The theater puts on plays, productions of foreign and Russian writers, and holds sporting events. The Drama Theater has a museum room dedicated to past events on stage.

Monument to the Electric Lantern

In 1904 the first power plant was launched in the city. 100 years later, a monument to a peeing dog on a lamppost was erected in one of the city’s park squares. The creator’s brainchild has a subtle philosophical message with a touch of Russian black humor: don’t go near it, or it will kill you. Residents and tourists readily accepted the new monument, because the statue is very original.

READ
Top 10 hotels with the best bathroom shelves

“Semenkovo”

In 1979 in the village of Semenkovo a museum of the same name was opened. The purpose of the opening was to preserve the artifacts found in these parts, which belonged to the ancient Russian people and to study the ethnicity of the earlier settlements living here. Monuments of architecture, collected in the museum, date back to the 19-20 century. The exhibition is housed in several houses of the Russian type, which were transported from the remote outskirts of Vologda.

Monument to K. Batyushkov

The monument was unveiled on the eve of the 200th anniversary of the poet’s birth as part of the Days of Slavonic Script and Culture

It was erected in 1987. The poet’s descendants decided to pay tribute to their ancestor in this way. Batiushkov himself once taught literature to Alexander Sergeyevich Pushkin. Perhaps that is why the figure of the poet is dressed in the fashion of Pushkin’s time. Next to Batiushkov there is a statue of a horse, which is part of the exposition. The sculpture so emphasized the participation of the poet in the events of 1812.

Alexander Nevsky Church

The foundation of the church is connected with the stay in Vologda in 1556 of the icon of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker that is especially honored in the Russian Orthodox Church.

The main chapel was built of brick at the beginning of the 17th century and consecrated in honor of the appearance of the face of Nicholas the Wonderworker. The building was built in the classical style, the towers are decorated with church stile. The walls were decorated with paintings and icons. In 1866 the cathedral was re-consecrated because Alexander II safely escaped the attack of Karakozov. Today the church keeps a part of the relics of Alexander II and other miraculous icons.

Monastery of the Assumption

The monastery was built in 1590 by old woman Domnikey. Women served in the monastery until 1924. The original building was wooden. Then in the 17th century began to rebuild and began to build a stone church. In the XIX century the monastery was given under the orphanage and school. Some of the buildings of the nunnery are still being restored.

Church of Varlaam of Khutyn

Merchant Uzdennikov donated his money to the church so that a new cathedral could be erected on the site of the old stone church. In 1780, a St. Petersburg architect, whose name is unknown, designed the church in the classical style mixed with Romanesque features. The temple is notable for its picturesque surroundings.

The World of Forgotten Things Museum

The facade of the house stands out in the English style. The exposition introduces guests to the culture of Vologda in pre-revolutionary times. None of the halls is similar to the previous one, each belongs to a distinctive stylistic orientation, the history of appearance. In the collection halls are placed old relics, household items, tea sets made of the finest porcelain, pictures of noble families.

Museum “Vologda Exile”

During the imperial rule, convicts were exiled to Vologda. In 2007, presents the exhibition “Vologda exile”, which collected information and artifacts of former events. On Ulitsa M. Ulyanova is the house where Stalin was exiled. In the same house opened a museum. The exhibition contains exhibits and valuable papers of political prisoners.

Red Bridge Gallery

Works of progressive artistic trends are represented in the museum of art, which opened in 2003. The museum’s holdings include more than 1,000 artifacts. Open exhibitions of famous foreign and Russian artists, art objects, photos, archaeological artifacts are held here. It is here that the annual exhibition of rare butterflies is held.

House of Peter I

The house of John Gutmann was built in the early 17th century. The Dutch merchant received Peter I during a tour of the Vologda possessions. Household items, Russian stove, antique furniture, kitchen utensils of the 17th and 18th century have been preserved in good condition. The house is considered the first open museum in Vologda since 1872.

Church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker in Vladychnaya Sloboda

The church had an iconostasis in the style of Louis XVI, combining painting, sculpture and woodcarving

The cathedral was built of white stone in the middle of the 17th century. The temple is decorated with stucco and is built in the classical style. But inside the cathedral is decorated with frescoes with Baroque elements, the walls are covered with the faces of the saints. The temple is notable for the preservation of the stone cross, which, according to legend, sailed to Vologda against the current. Not far away is the Cathedral of St. Sophia.

Monument to the letter “O”

Intended to perpetuate one of the most characteristic phenomena of northern Russian accents, including the Vologda

Vologda is famous throughout Russia for its unusual accent. The emphasis in words is always on the letter “O”. In fact, that’s why Vologda residents are recognized everywhere. In 2012 at the intersection of paths in the Sobornaya Gorka park an elegant monument of Vologda architecture was installed. The monument is surrounded by a picturesque landscape of park trees and flower alleys.

Voskresensky Cathedral

The cathedral was built of brick and stone in the 18th century. The stylistics of the architectural monument is baroque with elements of Romanesque culture. The last reconstruction of the church was conducted in the 19th century, so the primary wall frescoes have not been preserved. The church was consecrated by Archbishop Joseph II. The church was closed in 1938 under the Soviet regime. Almost a century later, the Resurrection cathedral was returned to the possession of the faithful.

READ
34 best sights of the North Caucasus - descriptions and photos

Church of Demetrius of Priluki on Navoloka

The Church of Demetrius of Prilutskiy on Navolok was built in the middle of the XVII century. The walls of the church are decorated with frescoes, scenes from the Bible, some events from the life of Dmitry Prilutsky. Also survived wall paintings, which were applied by Yaroslavl artists. Nearby is the church of Nicholas the Wonderworker in Vladychnaya Sloboda.

Shalamov house

In this house on June 18, 1907 in the family of a priest was born Varlam Tikhonovich Shalamov, author of the famous “Kolyma Tales

The estate of the famous writer and master of the word. His brainchild Kolyma Tales made V. T. Shalamov famous throughout Russia. The poet lived in Vologda for about 17 years, and during that time he managed to write many valuable literary stories. The museum was opened in 1991, the exhibits tell about the life and work of Shalamov.

Church of Constantine and Helena

On April 10, 2008, eight new bells, weighing from 10 to 430 kilos, were brought from Tutaev to the bell tower.

The cathedral with its elegant architecture dates back to the end of the 17th century. The church is built in the architectural style with features of Russian patterns and classics. The cathedral holds icons of saints, which were painted in the 15th and 18th centuries. In 1503 on the order of Ivan III a wooden church was built on the site of the temple which was reconstructed only in the XVII century as a stone one. The church has a tiered bell tower, the bells of which are considered miraculous.

Puzan-Puzirevsky house

The manor house made of wood and stone was built in the Greek style with elements of the Russian classics and was built in 1823. The house originally housed the U.S. Embassy until 1918. Since 1997, the manor house opened a museum. Puzan-Puzirevsky abdicated his life by means of a shot to the head. According to local legend, the ghost of the nobleman does not let those who do not like him into the house. As a result, no subsequent owner of the house did not stay at the estate for more than 2-3 years.

Museum “Literature. Art. Century XX” museum

Opened in 2005 by the Vologda Region Administration and the administration of the Vologda Museum Reserve

The house-museum has been welcoming visitors since the mid 19th century in the Sitnikov’s mansion. The house presents a collection of exhibits that belonged to composer Gavrilin and master of words Rubtsov. Creators dedicated most of their works to the Russian North. The exposition features the composer’s personal musical instruments and recordings of Rubtsov’s works.

Church of the Purification

The church was built in 1735. The architectural heritage of Vologda is in the Russian Baroque style with Gothic elements. The temple was quite eccentric, the walls are decorated with hand-paintings, stucco, there is gilding on the vaults and arches. In 1830, the building was rebuilt and restored. The cathedral is famous for the famous icons “Descent into Hell,” “Beheading of Ivan the Baptist,” “Last Supper.

Zasetsky House

Originally the house belonged to the noble family Zasetsky. The house-museum is considered the oldest wooden construction of the 18th century in the Vologda region. The museum presents an exposition that introduces guests to the life of the noble family, their personal belongings, documents and furniture. Some exhibits are of special value and are under the protection of the city administration.

Spaso-Prilutsky Monastery

The monastery was founded by Dmitry Prilutsky. Later he received the title of Saint, his countenance and scenes from his life are represented in the walls of the male monastery and in the temple on Navolok. The complex was erected in the 15th century, was restored only in 1992, when the church was returned to the people. The walls of the monastery are not decorated with frescoes, only a chapel in which ceremonies are held.

House of the merchant Samarin

Merchant Samarin was famous for his hospitality throughout Vologda, so his house was never empty. The mansion has kept its original image. The house was rebuilt in the XXth century, that is why it does not need to be reconstructed. The collection consists of pictures, personal diaries of former tenants, and household items, which are still in working order.

St. Sophia Cathedral

Currently is a cathedral of the Vologda Metropolis along with the Cathedral of the Resurrection

The church was erected of stone during the reign of Ivan the Terrible. The monument is valuable because the walls of the cathedral are still decorated with primary frescoes and hand-paintings of the 17th century. Because of its high historical value, the temple was not destroyed during the Soviet period. Now the church performs its functions partially, because there is a museum on the territory of the cathedral.

Bryanchaninov Manor

The manor is also famous for the fact that Dmitri Bryanchaninov, the future bishop of the Caucasus and the Black Sea Ignatius, was born and grew up there.

READ
10 places to visit in Guatemala

Built in the early 19th century, the facade has features of classicism. The house belonged to the Bryanchaninov dynasty until the early 19th century, then the family left the country. In the first quarter of the XX century, a boarding house was opened in the house, which stopped working at the end of the XX century. The last renovation works were done in 2009. Nowadays there is a cultural and educational institution.

Vologda wooden architecture

In the city there are many well-preserved, rich and original structures of the Russian urban wooden architecture

The complex of architecture includes wooden mansions and houses of merchants in Art Nouveau, Classical and Empire style. Total number of buildings is more than 100, but they are in pristine condition, some of them have not been restored. Wooden merchant mansions and estates of burghers are called architectural monuments.

Museum of lace

It is considered the pearl of the city. The museum is imbued with the aesthetics and elegance of handicrafts. There is a vast exposition, which is replenished with exhibits to this day. In the museum you can see absolutely everything: utensils, paintings, clothes, household items, textiles, handmade objects, which are woven with lace patterns. Part of the exhibits is devoted to the history of the development of this craft.

Kremlin Square and the Vologda Kremlin

On the territory of the Kremlin there are modern monuments: the St. Sophia Cathedral, the complex of Bishop’s Courtyard, the Church of the Intercession of the 18th century

Kremlin Square was paved with wood until 1947. In honor of the 8th century Vologda changed the paving to stone. Along the square there is a 3 km long Kremlin wall. The Kremlin is a complex of church buildings of 3 Orthodox churches. Now it bears the name of the Bishop’s Courtyard of the XVII century.

30 major attractions in Vologda

Old Russian Vologda is a real tourist gem, able to offer a rich excursion program. Who hasn’t heard of the famous Vologda lace and the magnificent wooden mansions scattered throughout the city? Vologda’s delicious butter and the carved palisades sung in a popular song are no less famous.

The city has a large number of churches built in a variety of architectural styles, from Russian patterns to austere classicism. For fans of historic buildings, a walk through the city center will turn into a sheer pleasure, as colorful domes, mighty walls and fanciful casings of picturesque wooden mansions keep popping up before your eyes.

What to see and where to go in Vologda?

The most interesting and beautiful places to walk. Photos and a brief description.

Kremlin Square and the Vologda Kremlin

Kremlin Square is the heart of Vologda and its historical center. Surprisingly, until 1947 it was paved with wood, despite the fact that the first buildings here appeared under Ivan the Terrible. Only for the 800th anniversary of the city it was paved with stone. The ensemble of the square includes three Orthodox churches and the main architectural dominant – the Vologda Kremlin. The fortress began to be built in the 16th century for defensive purposes. By 1820 most of the fortifications had been dismantled, as by that time the structure had lost its significance. The total length of fortress walls once exceeded 3 thousand meters. Today the Vologda Kremlin is called a complex of Bishop’s Courtyard of the XVII century.

Revolution Square

Central square of the city, located within the historic Nizhny Posad district. It appeared in 1918 as a result of joining Sennaya, Spasskaya and Aleksandrovskaya squares. In the XVII century several churches were built there, which were destroyed during the USSR. Today the place is adorned with Soviet-era monuments: the Eternal Flame memorial and a stone obelisk called “Zub”, a monument to Civil War heroes.

Revolution Square.

Vologda wooden architecture

Vologda wooden architecture is commonly referred to as a group of town-planning styles (Art Nouveau, Classical and Empire) that prevailed in town planning in the late 18th – early 20th centuries. The wooden houses built during this period are well preserved. Today they number more than 100, many of them are significant monuments. Among the buildings there are peasant izbas, merchant mansions, and homes of the petty bourgeoisie.

Vologda wooden architecture.

St. Sophia Cathedral

Religious building from the time of Ivan IV the Terrible and the oldest stone building in Vologda. It was erected by order of the tsar. Its uniqueness lies in the fact that inside there are almost intact frescoes and iconostasis of the XVII century. The temple belongs to the cross-dome architectural type. Due to its undeniable historical value, the building was not destroyed during the Soviet era. Nowadays there is a museum in the cathedral.

Sophia Cathedral.

Voskresensky Cathedral

An eighteenth-century church built in the Baroque style under Archbishop Joseph II the Golden. The interior was renovated in the first half of the 19th century, so the original wall paintings have not survived. The cathedral was abolished in 1938 and only in 2016 it was handed over again to the Russian Orthodox Church, after which regular services were resumed. The building is a valuable architectural monument and an object of cultural significance.

Voskresensky Cathedral.

Alexander Nevsky Church

An 18th-century brick church originally consecrated in honor of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker and later re-consecrated in connection with the rescue of Emperor Alexander II in 1866 after an attempt on his life by conspirators. The structure was built in the classical “octagonal on the square” manner and is topped by a spire typical of Vologda churches. Valuable icons are kept inside, including an image of Alexander Nevsky with a part of his relics.

READ
The 37 best sights of Nizhny Novgorod - description and photos

Church of Alexander Nevsky.

Church of Constantine and Helena

Picturesque church of the end of the 17th century, built in the style of Moscow architecture – Russian uzorochie. This style was distinguished by five domes crowning the tchetverik on a vast podklet and a tent-like bell tower of several tiers. In the temple there are icons of the XV-XVIII centuries. It is believed that back in 1503 there was a wooden church built during the reign of Ivan III.

Church of Konstantin and Elena.

Church of Varlaam of Khutyn

It is a building in the graceful manner of the early classicism, erected in 1780 for the money of the merchant Uzdennikov instead of the dilapidated stone temple. The architect of the church is unknown, but experts suppose that he could have been a master from St. Petersburg, as the construction clearly shows secular palace features, not typical for the strict religious architecture of Vologda.

Church of Varlaam of Khutyn.

Church of the Intercession on the Goat

The building was built in the style of Moscow Baroque in 1710. It is notable for the fact that inside the unique frescoes created by artists of Yaroslavl school have been preserved. Later frescoes belong to the XIX – early XX centuries. The first mention of the church of the Intercession on Kozlyon refers to 1612. According to extant sources, an earlier church was burned by Lithuanian interventionists during the Time of Troubles.

Church of the Intercession on the Goat.

Church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker in Vladychnaya Sloboda

This church, along with St. Sophia Cathedral and the Church of Dmitry Prilutsky on Navolok, is considered to be one of the first stone buildings in Vologda. Architecturally, it is typical of the city’s suburban churches, which were built in the 17th century. The interior is decorated in the Baroque style, with distinctive ornamental moldings, arches and vaults, usually inherent in this manner.

The Church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker in the Vladychnaya Sloboda.

Church of the Purification

The building was erected in 1735 and rebuilt in 1830. It is characterized by a rare architectural style for Vologda – a mixture of Russian Baroque (the main building) and pseudo-Gothic (the bell tower). Several famous icons that are now in large museums come from here: “The Last Supper”, “Beheading of John the Baptist”, “Mourning”, “Descent into Hell” and other works of art.

The Church of the Purification.

Church of Demetrius of Priluki on Navoloka

Architectural monument of the middle of the 17th century, considered one of the most valuable in Vologda. The church was named in honor of D. Prilutsky, founder of Spaso-Prilutsky monastery. The earliest mention of the temple dates back to 1618. Inside the building there are frescos of the XVIII century, created under the influence of the Yaroslavl school. Some images contain scenes from the life of Dmitry Prilutsky.

Church of Dimitry Prilutsky on Navolok.

Spaso-Prilutsky Monastery

It is an Orthodox monastery, dating back to the 14th century. It was founded by St. Dmitry Prilutsky, a disciple and associate of Sergius of Radonezh. The monastery is one of the most ancient and revered in the Russian North. Its complex includes churches – architectural monuments of the XVI-XVIII centuries. In 1926 the monastery was closed, in the 1930s it was used as a prison. Only in 1992 it was given back to the believers.

Spaso-Prilutsky Monastery.

Monastery of the Assumption

Female cloister, which functioned in the period from 1590 to 1924. It was founded by Domnikey – a nun and an old woman. Originally all the buildings were made of wood, the first stone construction was erected already in the second half of the XVII century. Two centuries later, an orphanage and a school were opened at the monastery. At the moment the complex is under restoration – some of its parts have been fully restored, while other parts have been lost forever.

Gorny-Uspensky monastery.

Museum of lace

Vologda lace is a famous tourist brand that plays a key role in the themes of many tours along with wooden architecture. The museum dedicated to this craft is unique in size and composition of the exposition. Its collection includes not only the works of local masters, but also exhibits about the world history of lacemaking, magnificent costumes, home textiles, jewelry and paintings.

Museum of lace.

The World of Forgotten Things Museum

The museum exposition is devoted to pre-revolutionary Vologda, culture and life of different layers of city population. In the halls you can admire the interiors of the XIX century and various objects that were in use over 100 years ago, giving an idea of how people lived in that era. There is a vast collection on three floors that consists of old photographs, family relics, furniture, and interior items.

Museum “Vologda Exile”

In tsarist Russia, Vologda was one of the places where prisoners were exiled. In 2007, a museum dedicated to this phenomenon was opened in a wooden house on Maria Ulyanova Street. The building is notable for the fact that in 1911-12 years lived here for several months Stalin who was in exile. The exhibition tells about famous political prisoners and their activities.

Museum “Literature. Art. Century XX” museum

Museum exposition is located on the territory of the former Sitnikov merchant’s mansion, a monument of Vologda wooden architecture of the 19th century. The collection is entirely devoted to the life and creative paths of two artists: the composer V.A. Gavrilin and the poet N.M. Rubtsov, who dedicated many of their works to the Russian North. The collection is a branch of the Vologda Museum Reserve.

READ
Dubai's 6 best neighborhoods to stay in for a vacation

Vologda Drama Theater

The theater was founded in 1849 (it is considered the oldest in Vologda). Over the years it managed to change a few buildings. At the moment the stage is located in the building constructed in 1974, which has all the attributes of Soviet monumental architecture. Moscow team of designers and engineers specialized in constructing buildings for spectacles and sports events.

Red Bridge Gallery

The art museum was opened in 2003. Its founders collected works by artists of different styles: representatives of realism, underground, symbolism and other progressive movements. Besides paintings, there are also photographs and modern art objects. Altogether the collection consists of about 1000 exhibits. Temporary exhibitions of local, Russian and foreign authors are regularly held in the museum.

Red Bridge Gallery.

Monument to the letter “O”

The unusual monument is located in one of the city squares. It symbolizes the peculiar Vologda accent on the letter “o”. Thanks to this distinctive feature Vologda citizens are recognized all over Russia. The sculpture was installed on the initiative of students of the Institute of Business in 2012 in honor of the 865th anniversary of the founding of the city. It is made of metal lace and is 2.5 meters high.

Monument to K. Batyushkov

Poet K.N. Batyushkov was a native of Vologda, the teacher of the genius of Russian literature Alexander Pushkin. Grateful descendants set him a monument in 1987. The composition consists of the figure of Batiushkov himself dressed in the fashion of Pushkin’s epoch, and a horse (apparently, the sculptor decided to allude in such a way to Konstantin Nikolayevich’s participation in the campaign of 1812). Both sculptures stand on a granite pedestal.

Monument to K.N. Batiushkov.

Monument to the Electric Lantern

The monument was established in 2004 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of electrification of the city (the first power plant started operating here in 1904). The idea of the creator is very original and controversial, as it is a lamppost and the figure of a dog peeing on it. But residents have accepted this composition without questions, apparently due to the presence of a healthy sense of humor, as seriously take this creation can not be.

Monument to the electric lantern.

House of Peter I

A small building of the XVII century, where Peter the Great stayed several times during his visits to Vologda. The house belonged to Dutch merchant John Gutmann. Inside the house there are still 300 years old stoves. In 1872, the first museum in the city was founded here. Today its collection consists of personal belongings of the ruler, as well as utensils and furniture of the XVII-XVIII centuries.

House of Peter I.

Shalamov house

This is a two-storey stone building where in 1907-24 lived V. T. Shalamov, a poet and writer, famous for his work Kolyma Tales. The museum was founded in 1991. The collection is devoted to the author’s life and work. It contains his personal belongings, documents, records, and publications. The building itself was erected in the 18th century and is considered an architectural monument.

House of Shalamov.

Puzan-Puzirevsky house

The house is a wooden mansion, built in 1823. Until 1918 it hosted the US Embassy, after which the head of the diplomatic mission and his family used to live here for a couple of years. From 1997 to 2012 there was a museum in the manor. The structure is a valuable monument of wooden architecture. At the moment it is not in the best condition.

Puzan-Puzirevsky house.

Zasetsky House

Monument of wooden architecture, built in the late 18th century and reconstructed in the 19th century. It is the oldest preserved wooden building in Vologda. Zasetskih House is a one-storeyed mansion with a classical portico and mezzanine, a row of wide windows framed by elaborately carved platbands. Once it belonged to a noble family.

The house of the Zasetsky's.

House of the merchant Samarin

It is an early 20th century manor house with a museum. The house is a rare surviving example of this type of building. More than 100 years ago there were living quarters, a shop and rooms for rent. Today, an exposition of photographs, household items and documents will tell the visitor about the traditional life of a merchant family.

House of the merchant Samarin.

“Semenkovo”

Ethnographic Museum, located in the village of the same name. It is a collection of wooden architecture monuments dating from the XIX-XX centuries. Houses to the territory of the exhibition were brought from remote areas of the Vologda region. The Museum opened in 1979. Its main objective was to preserve the unique architecture and study the ethnographic heritage of the Russian North.

Bryanchaninov Manor

Noble manor in the village Pokrovskoye built in the early 19th century. Style of the building can be defined as early classicism. The manor was the family estate of Bryanchaninov family until 1918 when the owners left Russia. Since 1924 the manor was a sanatorium, which functioned until the 1990s. In 2009 the restoration of the manor was completed, after which it opened a cultural and educational center.

Manor Bryanchaninov.

Complete the article, describe your impression of the city (country) or a particular landmark.

Cherepovets

Cherepovets

Cherepovets is called “the port of five seas”. All thanks to the Rybinsk Reservoir and an outlet to the Volga-Baltic Canal.

Veliky Ustyug.

Veliky Ustyug

Kaliningrad

Kaliningrad

Veliky Novgorod

Veliky Novgorod

Veliky Novgorod is a museum city of ancient Russia, and the birthplace of Russian statehood and democracy.

Valday

Valday

Most tourists associate Valday with the lake and the national park, which are very popular places

Rating
( No ratings yet )
Like this post? Please share to your friends:
bucketlisttc.com
Leave a Reply

;-) :| :x :twisted: :smile: :shock: :sad: :roll: :razz: :oops: :o :mrgreen: :lol: :idea: :grin: :evil: :cry: :cool: :arrow: :???: :?: :!: