27 best sights of Saratov – description and photos

Saratov sights

Saratov State Pedestrian Saratov Park, situated in the center of Saratov, Russia

This site contains a collection of Saratov sights – photos, descriptions, and travel tips. The list is based on popular travel guides and presented by type, name and rating. Here you will find answers to questions: what to see in Saratov, where to go and where are the popular and interesting places in Saratov.

Victory Park

Victory Park (photo)

Victory Park in Saratov was founded in 1975. Seven years after its opening, in 1982, there was established a monument “Cranes”, a height of 40 meters – a monument to Saratov citizens who died during the Great Patriotic War.

The park looks like an open-air museum. Here is preserved the memory of the people who in wartime in harsh conditions worked in the rear, making guns and military vehicles. On May 9, 1999 there was a grand opening of a fairly large exhibition of military equipment. More than 130 exhibits are collected here.

There is also a national village of the peoples of the region, which was opened in 2003. It is a village with real yurts, houses and castles of different peoples of Saratov region. Here you can immerse yourself in the atmosphere of the past, and the past not only Russian, but also Georgians, Armenians, Bashkirs, and other peoples living on this territory.

Victory Park is a great place for recreation of the townspeople and visitors. Well-groomed flower beds, comfortable places for recreation and magnificent viewpoints with a beautiful view over Saratov and Engels attract visitors.

Coordinates: 51.60715700,45.98020800

Trinity Cathedral

Trinity Cathedral (photo)

The history of the cathedral begins in the mid-16th century. It was one of the first to appear in the city. At first, of course, the temple was made of wood. It did not serve long. After 10 years, the church burned down. The next building of the Trinity cathedral was already built in the next XVII century. In the year when the construction was finished, the church was christened. There is a legend that passing by Peter I and his wife visited the new cathedral. Especially for the tsar a prayer service was performed.

In the XX century the monastery underwent restoration works. The facade of the building was repaired and new frescos were painted. Today there is a Sunday school at the cathedral, which organized a church Slavonic choir, a newspaper is published, there is a library.

Every year relics of saints from metropolitan churches are brought to the Trinity Cathedral in Saratov. Townspeople gather in long lines to touch them.

Coordinates: 51.52805600,46.05555600

What are the sights of Saratov that you like? There are icons next to the photo, by clicking on them you can rate this or that place.

Blue lake

Blue Lake (photo)

Blue Lake in the Engels district of Saratov region of artificial origin, is a pit filled with water, from which the sand was taken for the construction of the bridge over the Volga. It is about 500 meters long and about 250 meters wide. It is located between the Volga channels Sukhaya Gryaznukha and Puhlaya. It gets its name from the unusual blue color of the water.

READ
The 5 most beautiful and memorable lakes in Italy

The lake has a low sandy shore. It is inhabited by such fish as bream, perch, pike, roach, and crayfish. The lake is used for restoration purposes. According to legend, at the bottom of the lake is sunk excavator.

Coordinates: 51.55672900,46.27781500

In photo mode you can view sights in Saratov by photo only.

Moskovskaya Street

Moskovskaya Street (from 1924 to 1959 Leninskaya Street, from 1959 to 1991 Prospekt Lenina) is the central street of Saratov, running from the Volga through the central part of the city, terminating in the area of Saratov Railway Station. The length of the street from the beginning to the railroad is 4 km 327 m, from the railroad to the end – 462 m, for a total length of 4 km 789 m without taking into account interruptions and with approximately 5 km interruption in the city center the width of the roadway is 12 m, width of sidewalks – 5 m, total width – 22 m behind the railway station width of the roadway – 7 m, width of sidewalks – 4 m, total width – 15 m.

Lipki Park

Lipki Park (photo)

The history of the park begins with the appearance of Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in the town. It was built in 1824. In the same year it was decided to build a public garden around the monastery. That is exactly what was done. Simple peasant N. Fyodorov and merchant M. Smirnov together planted over 1000 young linden trees. After the territory has been improved, the question arose about how to name the square. They decided to name the square after the cathedral – Alexander Boulevard. But five years later someone has called the square Lipki as a joke and the name has remained for centuries.

In the beginning of XX century the park was finally finished. In the middle of the noticeably grown trees flower beds were created, arbors, benches and a fountain were installed. Along the perimeter of the park was fenced with metal fence, which was custom-made.

Coordinates: 51.52833300,46.03638900

Saratov reservoir

Saratov reservoir (photo)

Saratov Reservoir is a fairly large water reservoir located on the Volga River. It was formed by a hydroelectric dam on the Saratov, Ulyanovsk and Samara regions of our country. The reservoir was filled in 1967-1968.

The right bank of the Saratov reservoir is located in the forest-steppe zone, and the left – in the steppe.

The cities of Samara, Syzran, Chapaevsk and many other settlements are located on its coast.

On the left side of the reservoir flow into the Samara, Sok, Chapaevka, Maly Irgiz and Chagra rivers.

READ
The 36 best sights of Stockholm - descriptions and photos

The total area of the reservoir is 1,831 square kilometers, its length is 341 kilometers and its width is up to 12 kilometers. The maximum depth is about 28 meters.

The reservoir is designed to regulate the flow of the Volga River and its tributaries. It was also created for water transport and energy purposes.

Like other reservoirs of the Volga River, Saratovskoye also has negative implications for the migration of sturgeon and other fish, and concentrates in it ecologically harmful products of human activities.

Coordinates : 52.05138800,47.75527700

Zhigulevskiy Brewery

Zhigulyovsk brewery (photo)

Zhigulevsky Brewery is one of the oldest breweries in our country.

It was built in 1881 by Alfred von Vakano, a citizen of Austria. The factory was located on the bank of the Volga in Samara. It was here that the famous Zhigulevskoye beer was originally brewed.

The history of the brewery began on February 6, 1880, when Alfred von Vakano submitted a petition to the Samara City Council to lease land for the construction of a new brewery. By 1914 the breweries were brewing three and a half million pails of beer a year. The brewery partnership was the third largest brewery in Russia. Its warehouses were located in 59 towns of the Volga region, Central Asia, the Urals and Siberia. The products earned 15 medals at international exhibitions. But in that year “dry law” was declared and the plant was mothballed, and Alfred von Vakano was sent to Buzuluk under police supervision because he was suspected of espionage.

In October 1916, production of beer with a strength of one and a half degrees was started.

In 1992 the enterprise was transformed into the Limited Liability Partnership “Zhigulevskoye Beer”. In 1992 “Zhigulevskoye Beer” Ltd. registered the right for a trademark “Zhigulevskoye”. In 1997 the LLP was transformed into the Open Joint Stock Company “Zhigulevskoye Beer”. On May 17, 2000 the Russian PTO cancelled registration of the Zhigulevskoye Beer trademark.

Coordinates: 53.20100700,50.09911500

Would you like to know how well you know the sights of Saratov?

Monument to Saratov accordion

Monument to Saratov accordion (photo)

Monument to the Saratov harmonica was opened on September 12, 2009 on Kirov Avenue. It is a bronze figure of a merry accordionist in a Russian shirt, cap and boots, playing on the famous instrument of Saratov – the accordion. This gift to the citizens was made by the bank “Express-Volga” on the birthday of the city.

The monument itself is musical. Hidden loudspeakers twice a day – at 12 noon and at 6 pm carry the melody of the accordion.

The author of the monument – the sculptor from Saratov Vladimir Palmin. With his work he immortalized one of the main symbols of the city – the Saratov harmonica, which has a special sound and an unusual, distinctive timbre. The first time this musical instrument appeared in 1855-1856. At that time, it was made in Saratov.

READ
Hue - the turbulent history of Vietnam's imperial city

Coordinates: 51.53037300,46.03258600

The most popular attractions in Saratov with descriptions and photos for every taste. Choose the best places to visit famous places in Saratov on our website.

More Saratov sights

Derby Cafe, Saratov, Russia Saratov Art Museum named after A. N. Radishchev, Saratov, Russia Monument to Lovers, Saratov, Russia Saratov Ethnographic Museum, Saratov, Russia National Village of Peoples of Saratov Region, Saratov, Russia

27 best sights of Saratov – description and photos

If you think that sights don’t fall from the sky, here is direct evidence to the contrary. In 1961 an ordinary kolkhoz field in Saratov turned into an attraction of all-Union scale: Yuri Gagarin himself landed here after the first human space flight!

Saratov city beach

On the island of Pokrovsky sands in Saratov there is a beach of the same name, also known as “Gorodskoy”. It is a clean, comfortable place of rest, where the citizens like to get out for a rest. In addition to swimming in the Volga, it is nice to admire the wonderful scenery here – there are trees and shrubs growing along the shoreline.

Children’s Park in Saratov

The place that today occupies Saratov Children’s Park, many times changed its purpose. At first it was an ordinary abandoned vacant lot. In 1879 there was located a square, named after the famous Battle of Poltava.

House Museum of Pavel Kuznetsov

On the corner of Oktyabrskaya and Valovaya Streets in Saratov there is an interesting building. A small house with a two-story annex and an attic appeared on the edge of Glebuchevsky ravine in the 19th century. The inhabitants of this house were well aware of the beauty: you could admire the picturesque scenery of Sokolovaya Gora from the windows.

House of P. A. Nikitin in Saratov

At the intersection of Kirov Avenue and Volskaya Street stands a picturesque building, standing out for its unusual architecture. And no wonder, because it was built for a well-known creative person and part-time businessman Petr Alexandrovich Nikitin.

Accreditation, extensive experience with groups, excellent reviews, in English and Russian. Comfortable transportation, accommodation, national cuisine

Reineke House

The Reineke merchants owned several mansions in the center of Saratov, and the most interesting one is preserved near the park “Lipki”. The building made of light glazed brick – the embodiment of a game of imagination, color and light.

Satov’s House

An elegant structure on the corner of Kiselev and Maxim Gorky Streets in Saratov – the House of Satov, merchant of the first guild, owner of many manufactory shops, rich man and philanthropist. The building was not his residence.

Green Island in Saratov

The island has a rich history. Visiting Saratov in 1722, Peter I climbed Sokolov Hill and made a grand gesture: he presented the large, forested island he saw from the top to the local voivode Beklemishev.

READ
Lake Skadar in Albania

Kazan Church in Saratov

Saratov’s wooden Church of Kazan has long stood in the outskirts of Soldier’s Suburb. In 1905, using money donated by a wealthy merchant, it was lined with brick and an extraordinary porcelain iconostasis was ordered from Italy.

Saratov Conservatory

The conservatory, which is located in this building (Prospekt Kirov, 1), is one of the oldest in Russia. Its full name is the Saratov State Conservatory named after L. V. Sobinov. It was built in 1902, at the intersection of two streets.

A tour is creativity, and not only for guides, but also for guests: you can be not just a spectator, but also “second directors”. Ask any questions or make any requests – thanks to them your walk will become even more interesting!

Saratov Covered Market

When coming to Saratov, it is worth a look at the oldest covered market in the city. Natives of Saratov call it Paris and go shopping here. At one time there was a wood market and a place for execution of criminals.

Kumyskaya glade

Kumysnaya Polyana is a giant forest park of 4,417 hectares, skirting the city of Saratov from the west. The park is located on the Lysogorsky plateau, and Kumysnaya Polyana is home to a huge number of different species of wildlife: elk, foxes, roe deer, hares, wild boars and even owls.

Schmidt Mills

In the middle of the 19th century, the Schmidt brothers in Saratov were deservedly called “flour kings”. These entrepreneurs got rich by building windmills, which produced dozens of tons of flour daily.

Saratov Museum. Radishchev Museum

The first public art museum in a Russian province opened in Saratov in the late 19th century. It was founded by the grandson of the writer Alexander Radishchev, a painter-mariner Alexey Bogolyubov, who wished to give the city paintings of Russian and European artists, as well as his own works.

Samovar Museum in Saratov

In 2015, a private museum opened in Saratov with the largest collection of samovars in Russia – more than 700 items. It grew out of the personal collection of Saratov deputy Semyon Glozman, who collected these unique devices for about 30 years.

Wolga Heimat! Germans of the Volga region. 3 days / 2 n. Tour of the Saratov region.

The nobleman on the Volga. Ulyanovsk – s. Prislonikha

Zhigulyovsky weekend Cashback, 4 days National tourist route!

Museum-Estate of Borisov-Musatov

In the memory of people famous cultural figures remain because of their ingenious works. But not only written books and paintings belong to the cultural heritage, but also the houses where the poets, architects, or artists lived.

Museum-Estate of N. G. Chernyshevskiy’s Estate Museum

The Chernyshevsky Museum is a complex of buildings. It includes the house with mezzanine and outbuilding, which belonged to Chernyshevsky family, the estate of their closest relatives Pupins, as well as the administrative building.

READ
Taiwan is an island state in southeast Asia

Fedin museum in Saratov

Fedin’s museum in Saratov is in the building of the Sretensky elementary school, where Konstantin Fedin entered in 1899. He called Saratov the capital of the Volga region, and often mentioned it in his novels.

Cosmonauts’ quay in Saratov

Saratov embankment stretches along the Volga for about 1.5 kilometers – from the bridge to Babushkin quay. It appeared in the city relatively recently, in the late 1950s, although plans for its creation had been under construction since the beginning of the 20th century.

National village of the peoples of the Saratov region

On the famous Sokolov Hill, near the Victory Park, stretches a large ethnic complex, which is called “National Village of the peoples of the Saratov region. Yes, here are the most real houses, yurts and even castles – typical housing of people from different parts of Russia and the world.

The city of Saratov is 858 kilometers from Moscow toward Samara. The first thing that comes to everyone’s mind when mentioning the name Saratov is, of course, the phrase “To the country, to your aunt, in the middle of nowhere, to Saratov.” Incidentally, it is one of the few cities in Russia that escaped the general fever of renaming – as Samara, Sergiev Posad and Nizhny Novgorod could not get rid of it. And another important fact about Saratov is that the city was built then on one bank of the river, then on the other. Alas, it was not destined to avoid fires and reconstructions.

The city is the birthplace of Russia’s only Nobel laureate N.N. Semenov. And Saratov is also the last Volga city, where there is a real Russian winter with frosts down to -40. As in all Russian cities, there are many monuments and quite a few churches, for example, one of the oldest churches on the Volga, “Assuage My Sorrows” with multicolored cupolas is located in Saratov. Also known in the city are monuments – for example, to the Saratov accordion, to a student.

The city of Saratov is 858 kilometers from Moscow to Samara. The first thing that comes to everyone’s mind when mentioning the name Saratov is, of course, the phrase “To the countryside, to your aunt, in the middle of nowhere, to Saratov.”

In the parks of the city you can find oaks 200 years old, which were planted by captive Frenchmen after the campaigns of Napoleon, and a modern pedestrian avenue Kirov offers everyone a glimpse of the Gothic Conservatory building. It is also worth walking to Theater Square, where the “Life-bearing Spring” chapel is located.

Most souvenirs from the city are Saratov bread and Saratov accordion. But the best souvenirs will be swimming in the Volga and numerous photographs of the merchant city.

Rating
( No ratings yet )
Like this post? Please share to your friends:
bucketlisttc.com
Leave a Reply

;-) :| :x :twisted: :smile: :shock: :sad: :roll: :razz: :oops: :o :mrgreen: :lol: :idea: :grin: :evil: :cry: :cool: :arrow: :???: :?: :!: